Waterloo Mod

Users who are viewing this thread

Drewry

Veteran
As some of you, those who have been here long enough, may remember I had a Waterloo Mod that I created ages ago.  I told those who played it and enjoyed it, that one day I will return to create the mod again.  But only after the game has been released, as to prevent having to rework the entire thing after every petty release.  Well, the game has been released and true to my word I am here to present you with a finalized Mod Design.  If you would like to help with models, sounds, scripting, or any other help we might require, feel free to contact me by private message.

I will not release an open beta until the mod is almost near completion.  However, testing must go on anyhow.  So if you want to be a tester just contact me in PM.

Here is the final mod design:

The Story
The year is 1815 and you have to choose which faction you are. 

If you chosen France, you will start with Emperor Napoleon Bonaparte (Claimant) in you party in the south of France.  You have just pledged allegience to Emperor Napoleon, and are seeking to restore him to the throne.  You have to go and invade every town, village and castle.  The plus side is the Lords will all be very eager to join your cause.  All except King Louis XVIII, he will send troops after you to try and stop you.  You begin with 120 troops, and that should be enough to reconquer France.  After you conquer France, Napoleon is  crowned Emperor once again.  As soon as you do this all of the factions will declare war against you, and will amass military campaigns to seek to dethrone Napoleon.  They will all be heading to France. As the Marshall of France, it is your duty to protect Napoleon.  Can you amass a campaign and intercept the Coalition armies before they arrive in Paris to dethrone Napoleon?

If you chose any other Faction other than France, Napoleon has already come to power and has reclaimed the throne. You are the Marshall of your Faction,
and it is your duty to amass a campaign to dethrone Napoleon.  The Coalition Campaigns are on their way to Paris.  It is your duty to join them and
stop Napoleon in his tracks.

A New Map
A map of Europe with Historical Towns, Villages and Fortresses from Britain, France, Prussia, Russia, and Austria.  There won't be any neutral nations, but nations that would have been neutral historically will be added to its nearest neighbor, or some that historically were apart of another as a protectorate Faction.  The castles will be replaced with a standard fortress of the period.  Cities will not have new buildings, but there will be new city plans to try and fit each area best.

All New Weapons and Armor
Each Faction will have its own armor to suit the uniforms for each unit type.  So many uniforms will be available.  Weapons will include various different Muskets, Rifles, Pistols, Sabers, Cavalry Swords.  Many different hats will be available like Tricorne, Bicorne, various hats for uniforms and cavalry types.  New siege equipment like Canons. 

New Factions
New - France, Britain, Prussia, Russia, Austria
Old - Swadia, Vaegir, Rhodok, Khanate, Nords

New Lords, Kings and Claimants
-France
King Louis XVIII
Emperor Napoleon Bonaparte (Claimant)
Eugène de Beauharnais
Ney
Davout
Lannes
Soult
Suchet
Massena
Murat
Marmont

-Britain
King George III
Wellington
Picton
Hill
Uxbridge
Moore
Crauford
Pack
Beresford
Cole
Pakenham

-Prussia
King Frederick William III
Blucher
Bülow von Dennewitz
Kleist von Nollendorf
von Scharnhorst
Gneisenau
von Lutzow
Yorck
von Zieten
von Clausewitz
von Rachel

-Russia
Emperor Alexander I
Kutosov
Barclay de Tolly
Bagration
Platov
Miloradovich
Wittgenstein
Benningsen
Ermolov
Dokhturov

-Austria
Emperor Francis II
Archduke Charles
Schwarzenberg
Lichtenstein
Hiller
Klenau
Bellegarde
Vukassovich
Radetzcy
Bianchi
Hohenzollern

Troop Types
french_infanterie_de_la_ligne.jpg

L'infanterie de la ligne -  désigne les unités d'infanterie classique, généralement des fusiliers qui combattaient en formation en ligne et composaient les compagnies du centre d'un bataillon. On parle à propos de ces hommes de lignards. L'intérêt du combat en ligne sur la colonne est double : d'une part, face à l'artillerie, un boulet en prenant une colonne en enfilade peut causer la perte d'une quinzaine d'hommes, ce qui devient impossible face à une ligne ; d'autre part, pour le tir en ligne, toute la puissance de feu peut être employée simultanément.

Infanterie de la Ligne - the quintessential infantryman, generally Fusiliers who fight in line formation compose companies in the middle of a battalion.  They were known as the "Lignards."  There are two advantages of line combat:  one, facing the artillery, a canon ball can cause several casualties of men while in column formation, however, this becomes impossible against a line.  The other advantage, is that a musket becomes much more powerful while the entire line fires simultaneously.

voltigeur-3.jpg

Voltigeur - Dans son sens militaire, le voltigeur est un fantassin porté en première ligne par un cavalier qui le prend en croupe. Plus généralement, le terme désigne les unités d’infanterie légère d’une compagnie d’élite destinée à agir en tirailleur en avant de la ligne d’un bataillon. La Garde impériale a eu jusqu’à 19 régiments de voltigeurs. Il est alors le fin tireur de l'armée française, mais plus faible au corps à corps.

Voltigeur - In the military sense, the Voltigeur is a grunt infantryman led from the front by a Cavalryman in hindquarters.  However, more generally the term applies to a light infantry unit of an elite company to act as a skirmisher ahead of the line infantry of the battalion.  The Imperial Guard had up to 19 regiments of Voltigeurs.  It is thus the best skirmisher of the French Army, but more weak in melee combat.

Drewry said:
-Prussia

Bülow von Dennewitz

Fixed.

(Sorry, I couldn't resist. :wink:)

Will pop in here from time to time for sure.

Good luck with this mod!

BTW:

Mercenaries? Brigands? Are you sure you want to include these?

Mercenaries? Brigands? Are you sure you want to include these?

Yes, at first I was against it but I think it will add an extra challenge to the game.  Especially in the beginning.  The reason for the mercenaries is I think a lot of people like to use them when they run out of troops and they will be modeled after things like the King's German Legion (which I decided not to include in the British Faction troop type for this very reason).  The brigands will of course be equipped with the weapons of the period but also some pitch forks for some of the rebels.  As Napoleon historically had to quell a lot of rebellions as did many other monarchs of the period.

Have you noticed the mod "Peninsular War"?
It's well, about the Napoleonic wars on the Iberian Peninsular. It sounds -of course- much better to have all five big nations, but PW first completes two factions, so that the first release doesn't take too long, and perhaps after that it will be expanded.
I remember your mod, I still have it on my drive and I'm sure you would be able to finish your own mod, but you should still consider joining that mod.
However, if you stay on this mod, you can still count on using anything from my work you need.

Drewry said:
Yes, at first I was against it but I think it will add an extra challenge to the game.  Especially in the beginning.  The reason for the mercenaries is I think a lot of people like to use them when they run out of troops and they will be modeled after things like the King's German Legion (which I decided not to include in the British Faction troop type for this very reason).

Concerning the mercenaries:

When you play as a Brit you could recruit the German Legion and that would be historically correct. But as a French  ... well, there the problem appears: We're in 1815, so there are no Rheinbund troops anymore, no Irish Legion etc.

Have you noticed the mod "Peninsular War"?
It's well, about the Napoleonic wars on the Iberian Peninsular. It sounds -of course- much better to have all five big nations, but PW first completes two factions, so that the first release doesn't take too long, and perhaps after that it will be expanded.
I remember your mod, I still have it on my drive and I'm sure you would be able to finish your own mod, but you should still consider joining that mod.
However, if you stay on this mod, you can still count on using anything from my work you need.

I have indeed taken a look at it.  Some quality models over there.  I don't know about joining other mods, I am really only doing this as a service to myself -- to finish something I sought out to complete.  Not really looking for adding work.  Any work you would like to donate, I will of course accept gladly.  Equally, you are welcome to any work I have.  In the past the Waterloo mod was able to help start a whole host of Napoleonic mods, I see no reason it cannot do the same again.  The Napoleonic era is one that is rich with history, culture and excitement so I think we will see a lot of interest in new mods

BlindGamer said:
chudolf said:
What do you mean scout cav.? I think that would be Uhlans, they did as scouts

I thought that only the Germans and Russians had uhlans

France, Prussia, Austria, Russia, Duchy of Warsaw, Rhein Conf. , Danemark [ bosniaks ]  etc
Britain didn`t have Uhlans

Trooper5445 said:
This isn't going to happen, give up now.

You're so very enthusiastic Trooper, its nice to see  members of this community having such..optimism in mods and other people.

Trooper5445 said:
Have you been around in .731 (or something) when the waterloo mod was last released? No. In other words you have no idea who Drewry is or if he has the talent to finish this, so go away.

Drewry said:
I have indeed taken a look at it.  Some quality models over there.  I don't know about joining other mods, I am really only doing this as a service to myself -- to finish something I sought out to complete.  Not really looking for adding work.  Any work you would like to donate, I will of course accept gladly.  Equally, you are welcome to any work I have.  In the past the Waterloo mod was able to help start a whole host of Napoleonic mods, I see no reason it cannot do the same again.  The Napoleonic era is one that is rich with history, culture and excitement so I think we will see a lot of interest in new mods
I have done some cannon models for PW and the scripting for them, which you could use, if you want to.

King85 said:
retard, read the title of the mod WATERLOO MOD

Wait, you understood what he said?  :???:

Anyways, I looked into Drewry's previous posts and found his old mod's thread, it looks pretty cool and I'm sure it'll be a pretty good mod  :wink:, good luck.

I have done some cannon models for PW and the scripting for them, which you could use, if you want to.

I am simply blown away (no pun intended) those are amazing!  I was under the impression effective canons could not be done, you have obviously proven me wrong.  I would be ecstatic to have them in this mod.  Perhaps we could add a new location where you have to buy canons, as to make it not so easy to get them.

kaink said:
Trooper5445 said:

You're so very enthusiastic Trooper, its nice to see  members of this community having such..optimism in mods and other people.
Ah my bad you are the one who made the old one. Good luck with it then. I sort of bristle at ambitious mods.

It would be nice to see both mods embarked on together, sort of like a release of the same mod set in different periods. Dain mentioned perhaps making "expansions" of other theatres - i.e. the earilier continental conflicts, maybe I'll even pick up the Indian theatre again.

Depends on how Dain feels of course.

Back
Top Bottom