SP Medieval Walls of Konstantinia-1453 ... Map added - (still need riggers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, and the Turkish name for Moldavia is Bogdan? How quaint. The name used by the Romanians for their own country was Ţara Românească (Romanian Country in direct translation) but foreigners named them in a myriad of ways, from Wallachians to Vlachs. Of course, the Romanians always called themselves Rumâni or Români, which means Romanian.

Linguistics can be ever so interesting, seeing as there are many words borrowed from Turkish that exist in the Romanian language, words especially derived from the period when the rule of the Romanian principalities was sold by the Turkish sultan to Greeks living in a district of Constantinople, called Phanar. From the name of the district comes the name of these Greek rulers as well, Phanariotes.

Anyway, that's all history and doesn't really have much to do with this thread or this mod in general. The relationship between the Romanian people and the Turkish people, however, was a very interesting one, seeing as they warred with various frequency for close to 300 years with no discernible result except for a stalemate. Considering the great power of the Ottoman Sultanate and the meagreness of the Romanian states that existed at the time, I can say that is quite an achievement.

Agent Griff said:
Oh, and the Turkish name for Moldavia is Bogdan? How quaint. The name used by the Romanians for their own country was Ţara Românească (Romanian Country in direct translation) but foreigners named them in a myriad of ways, from Wallachians to Vlachs. Of course, the Romanians always called themselves Rumâni or Români, which means Romanian.

Bogdan is exactly Slavic word, means Bog (God) + dan (given). It is russian and ukranian modern name too.

Dan is also an old Romanian name derived from Slav influences. I thought it meant "gift" but it seems I wasn't far off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom