Wallachia/Moldavia

Users who are viewing this thread

Daethikus said:
So, does this mean there will be no Wallachia or Moldavia faction :???:

http://romerica.com/rom/hist_mig_ad1200.htm
Your own links gives those lands belonging to other factions:
"•Wallachia: Prince Kaloyan (1197-1207); part of Bulgaria
•Dobrogea: Eastern Wallachia; part of Bulgaria
•Moldavia: Western (part of Bulgaria); eastern (part of Kievan Russia)
•Transylvania: Part of Hungary"
The only difference in the mod is that we've decided to give the lands listed as Bulgarian above to the Cumans instead (I have my reasons for this, although not definitive).

NikeBG said:
Daethikus said:
So, does this mean there will be no Wallachia or Moldavia faction :???:

http://romerica.com/rom/hist_mig_ad1200.htm
Your own links gives those lands belonging to other factions:
"•Wallachia: Prince Kaloyan (1197-1207); part of Bulgaria
•Dobrogea: Eastern Wallachia; part of Bulgaria
•Moldavia: Western (part of Bulgaria); eastern (part of Kievan Russia)
•Transylvania: Part of Hungary"
The only difference in the mod is that we've decided to give the lands listed as Bulgarian above to the Cumans instead (I have my reasons for this, although not definitive).

Haha yeah I'm aware that my "own" links say that wallachia is mostly Bulgarian. After all, I did post it  :razz:
Said link says Wallachia wasn't its own, which, goes to my original question/statement.

Edit, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rulers_of_Wallachia and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Litovoi
Also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foundation_of_Wallachia

Shows that the Vlachs had a leader around 1200. 1247-1277. Had his own lands and what not.

No. It suggests that they had a leader almost half a century after our mod. We're attempting to portray the political situation in the year 1200, not 1247, which is when Litovoy appears.

NikeBG said:
No. It suggests that they had a leader almost half a century after our mod. We're attempting to portray the political situation in the year 1200, not 1247, which is when Litovoy appears.

Only 47 years after though. And I understand, but I'm sure not everything is 100% accurate and set in 1200 in the mod. But damnit I guess you won't budge Nike  :lol:

Daethikus said:
NikeBG said:

Only 47 years after though. And I understand, but I'm sure not everything is 100% accurate and set in 1200 in the mod. But damnit I guess you won't budge Nike  :lol:

Politically speaking, we strictly set the stage for exactly the year 1200. Things may vary in a matter of months. Some lords should be dead by April 1200, which is, I think, when the game starts, and some should still be kids in 1201, but since we can't put kid-rulers, we just make them grow up to their sixteens-eighteens. Like Arthur of Brittany.

But we try to stick to 1200 as much as possible. If we move things around too much, nothing would make sense. For France to be set in 1200, the rest of Europe must be set in the same year, otherwise the political confuguration makes no sense at all. Without England controling half of France, it makes no sense that we have an independent Toulouse, a powerful Aragon, a meak Scotland or a dumb Holy Roman Emperor, Lombard and Tuscan Leagues, or the King of Sicily being educated in Rome by the Pope.

It's all connected. Maybe you don't care, maybe most players won't see these connections, but I do, and so does Korinov. To me, most of the lords and characters are living guys with their bagage and history.

I should rethink the whole "tell me your story" suggestion. It's a titanic work, but... I'm starting to fancy it...  :mrgreen:

For example, King Richard the Lionheart died in 1199.
Even if he was one of the most famous medieval figures, and would be cool to have him in the mod - we haven't put him in the mod... and we will never do that (except making him a ghost... or a zombie).
1 year means a lot. If he died in 1199, then he was dead in 1200 too.
Or another example:
In 1202, the city of Zadar was conquered by the Crusaders, and became a part of the Venetian Republic.
Now, Hungary (who owns Zadar in our mod) is very strong, and has many towns, even without Zadar, while the Republic of Venice isn't strong as it has been in 1200, so giving Zadar to them would give them a significant boost. But, historically, Zadar was a part of Hungary, and we will not change that, if proven otherwise.

We are more loose when concerning player's companions, but they are not that important for the overall historical accuracy of the mod.

Or, if it's my turn to give an example - the Rhodopean Principality (the name is made up by me, btw, since historically it had no (recorded) name) was actually conquered by the Byzantines in the very same year the mod starts - in 1200 itself, in the late summer, i.e. just a few months after the mod starts. But even those months matter in this case and thus the Rhodopean Principality still has a chance, however small it may be, to live long and even prosper.

So, we do insist on having the political situation exactly as it was in 1200, as much as history and gameplay allow us. After all, this is a M&B mod, not a TW one, where you can play through several centuries of history (though even there a difference in half a century pretty much guarantees you that a certain faction won't be included as a starting one).
Of course, we have a little bit of leeway in other aspects - f.e. we can include as quests some events which happened years or even a decade or two after 1200, *but* the roots of that event must already be in place in the mod's time. For example, we're intending to have the Albigensian Crusade (and the Fourth Crusade) as quests in the mod, although they happened 11 (and respectively 2-4 years) after the starting date. Why so? Because their roots, their reasons and possibilities already existed. The heretics were already there and the strongest pope was already there, ready to start persecuting them. The Fourth Crusade was actually already (recently) called by 1200 and was beginning to gather. So the prerequisites were already in place for those events and they could've happened earlier as well. Of course, on the other hand, we don't have the Mongol invasion (which is more than two decades earlier than 1247), because the prerequisites weren't there - Genghis Khan hadn't even united all the Mongols by 1200 and there's no chance that he could destroy everything in his path to Europe in just a couple of years (few people would play for longer than a couple in-game years).
And, indeed, we have an even greater "time-inaccuracy" with some of the companions, which we're already "correcting", but those aren't that important in the first place, as they're simply separate individuals, not entire factions etc. :smile:

MihailoSRB said:
Even if he was one of the most famous medieval figures, and would be cool to have him in the mod - we haven't put him in the mod... and we will never do that (except making him a ghost... or a zombie).
Or another example:
In 1202, the city of Zadar was conquered by the Crusaders, and became a part of the Venetian Republic.
Now, Hungary (who owns Zadar in our mod) is very strong, and has many towns, even without Zadar, while the Republic of Venice isn't strong as it has been in 1200, so giving Zadar to them would give them a significant boost. But, historically, Zadar was a part of Hungary, and we will not change that, if proven otherwise.

We are more loose when concerning player's companions, but they are not that important for the overall historical accuracy of the mod.
NikeBG said:
Or, if it's my turn to give an example - the Rhodopean Principality (the name is made up by me, btw, since historically it had no (recorded) name) was actually conquered by the Byzantines in the very same year the mod starts - in 1200 itself, in the late summer, i.e. just a few months after the mod starts. But even those months matter in this case and thus the Rhodopean Principality still has a chance, however small it may be, to live long and even prosper.

So, we do insist on having the political situation exactly as it was in 1200, as much as history and gameplay allow us. After all, this is a M&B mod, not a TW one, where you can play through several centuries of history (though even there a difference in half a century pretty much guarantees you that a certain faction won't be included as a starting one).
Of course, we have a little bit of leeway in other aspects - f.e. we can include as quests some events which happened years or even a decade or two after 1200, *but* the roots of that event must already be in place in the mod's time. For example, we're intending to have the Albigensian Crusade (and the Fourth Crusade) as quests in the mod, although they happened 11 (and respectively 2-4 years) after the starting date. Why so? Because their roots, their reasons and possibilities already existed. The heretics were already there and the strongest pope was already there, ready to start persecuting them. The Fourth Crusade was actually already (recently) called by 1200 and was beginning to gather. So the prerequisites were already in place for those events and they could've happened earlier as well. Of course, on the other hand, we don't have the Mongol invasion (which is more than two decades earlier than 1247), because the prerequisites weren't there - Genghis Khan hadn't even united all the Mongols by 1200 and there's no chance that he could destroy everything in his path to Europe in just a couple of years (few people would play for longer than a couple in-game years).
And, indeed, we have an even greater "time-inaccuracy" with some of the companions, which we're already "correcting", but those aren't that important in the first place, as they're simply separate individuals, not entire factions etc. :smile:
Cèsar de Quart said:
Daethikus said:
NikeBG said:

Politically speaking, we strictly set the stage for exactly the year 1200. Things may vary in a matter of months. Some lords should be dead by April 1200, which is, I think, when the game starts, and some should still be kids in 1201, but since we can't put kid-rulers, we just make them grow up to their sixteens-eighteens. Like Arthur of Brittany.

But we try to stick to 1200 as much as possible. If we move things around too much, nothing would make sense. For France to be set in 1200, the rest of Europe must be set in the same year, otherwise the political confuguration makes no sense at all. Without England controling half of France, it makes no sense that we have an independent Toulouse, a powerful Aragon, a meak Scotland or a dumb Holy Roman Emperor, Lombard and Tuscan Leagues, or the King of Sicily being educated in Rome by the Pope.

It's all connected. Maybe you don't care, maybe most players won't see these connections, but I do, and so does Korinov. To me, most of the lords and characters are living guys with their bagage and history.

I should rethink the whole "tell me your story" suggestion. It's a titanic work, but... I'm starting to fancy it...  :mrgreen:

Damn guys, takes all 3 of you and 3 walls of text to say that the mod is mostly politically accurate?  :lol:
Anways, since I can't have a Wallachia faction, I've been recruiting the Vlachs from some of the Bulgarians, and, I wanted to ask one of you exactly which villages offer Vlachs instead of Bulgarian freemen? I've found Krân, Alvi, Dâbilin and "Drama" (previously Rhodope  :twisted: ) , but no other ones, I just wanted to know if thats all so I don't continue going to every village lol.
As to what you said about the Rhodopes having a chance, I think its very cool, how small that faction is, yet still have me hell of a fight, of course they were way to small to hold off for long (Without player intervention) but its still cool how you all added the "captains" and whatnot. Were fighting the Serbians now, and I gotta say, the Rhodopes fought us off better  :lol:

Daethikus said:
MihailoSRB said:
Or another example:

NikeBG said:

Cèsar de Quart said:
Daethikus said:
NikeBG said:

Damn guys, takes all 3 of you and 3 walls of text to say that the mod is mostly politically accurate?  :lol:
Anways, since I can't have a Wallachia faction, I've been recruiting the Vlachs from some of the Bulgarians, and, I wanted to ask one of you exactly which villages offer Vlachs instead of Bulgarian freemen? I've found Krân, Alvi, Dâbilin and "Drama" (previously Rhodope  :twisted: ) , but no other ones, I just wanted to know if thats all so I don't continue going to every village lol.
As to what you said about the Rhodopes having a chance, I think its very cool, how small that faction is, yet still have me hell of a fight, of course they were way to small to hold off for long (Without player intervention) but its still cool how you all added the "captains" and whatnot. Were fighting the Serbians now, and I gotta say, the Rhodopes fought us off better  :lol:

Thanks. The smaller factions have more fighting chance because big factions tend to spread their war effor in greater areas, scattering their armies, while smaller factions can concentrate on their immediate danger and smash their bigger neighbours slowly.

It's an unexpected result of having "unbalanced" factions and adding captains. Cruger really didn't expect small factions would have such advantadge. I guess it's the result of M&B being quite realistic in the management of armies and their "form", as retinues of independent lords, instead of big stacks of doom, Total War style.

Still, when the marshal arrives with 10 lords, you'd better start praying xD - Playing as the Tuscan League and as Navarre, I've discovered how thrilling it is to fight for your life, ripe a few victories and then see the 15 lords of Castile, Aragon or England, all with their armies, with their marshals and kings. No hope!

Cèsar de Quart said:
Daethikus said:
MihailoSRB said:
Or another example:

NikeBG said:

Cèsar de Quart said:
Daethikus said:
NikeBG said:

Thanks. The smaller factions have more fighting chance because big factions tend to spread their war effor in greater areas, scattering their armies, while smaller factions can concentrate on their immediate danger and smash their bigger neighbours slowly.

It's an unexpected result of having "unbalanced" factions and adding captains. Cruger really didn't expect small factions would have such advantadge. I guess it's the result of M&B being quite realistic in the management of armies and their "form", as retinues of independent lords, instead of big stacks of doom, Total War style.

Still, when the marshal arrives with 10 lords, you'd better start praying xD - Playing as the Tuscan League and as Navarre, I've discovered how thrilling it is to fight for your life, ripe a few victories and then see the 15 lords of Castile, Aragon or England, all with their armies, with their marshals and kings. No hope!

Cèsar de Quart said:
Daethikus said:
MihailoSRB said:
Or another example:

NikeBG said:

Cèsar de Quart said:
Daethikus said:
NikeBG said:

Haha I didn't notice that, but you're right, we are very spread out, about 90% of the time, thank god for marshals!

Hmm, that does sound fun, fighting a losing battle always seems more purposeful and fuffiling, I'm definitely gonna play as a smaller faction next time, only problem is to find one! Lol

Wow. I don't know how I did that^
Nor how to fix it. Hitting modify shows me a unholy mess of jumbled numbers and [quote ] things. Hmph.

Daethikus said:
Were fighting the Serbians now, and I gotta say, the Rhodopes fought us off better  :lol:
That must be because Rhodopes (and Bulgaria) have bugged overpowered Rural troop tree. :razz:

MihailoSRB said:
Daethikus said:
Were fighting the Serbians now, and I gotta say, the Rhodopes fought us off better  :lol:
That must be because Rhodopes (and Bulgaria) have bugged overpowered Rural troop tree. :razz:

Rural troop tree? How is it overpowered? I know they are to some extent, but, thats because I thought the Vlachs (Tiny) troop tree was really weak, so I beefed them up some :twisted:

I was thinking about changing the Bulgarian freemens upgrade only to Vlach peasant, then renaming the faction, haha I'll have Wallachia damnit! xD
But they would be to strong, and I don't feel like making them balanced, at the moment.

ZnasVecKo said:
The Bulgarian Rural troop tree contains the Professional tree as the end.

I modified my troops that way. Made Albanian Veteran Axe/Spearmen transit into professional troop tree. The rationale behind it is that after so many battles, one's social status improved :grin:

Back
Top Bottom