Viking Culture Must Return Back (Please)

Users who are viewing this thread

Perhaps the worst thing of the game for me is the unification of the Nord and Vaegirs under Sturgia. Sturgia's only similarity with the Vikings is their flag. I love the Viking culture. My favorite kingdom in Warband has always been the Nords. But although Sturgia is called a "common ancestor", it is based entirely on Slavic culture. His soldiers, clothes, and weapons have nothing to do with Vikings or Scandinavian culture.

The game is still in early access. I think the Nord and Vaegir cultures should be completely separated. I cannot taste Sturgia. I'm sure there are people who think like me. This should be evaluated.

Please Taleworlds.
Thanks.
You just have to wait for the Nords and Ships DLC.

Perhaps the worst thing of the game for me is the unification of the Nord and Vaegirs under Sturgia. Sturgia's only similarity with the Vikings is their flag. I love the Viking culture. My favorite kingdom in Warband has always been the Nords. But although Sturgia is called a "common ancestor", it is based entirely on Slavic culture. His soldiers, clothes, and weapons have nothing to do with Vikings or Scandinavian culture.

The game is still in early access. I think the Nord and Vaegir cultures should be completely separated. I cannot taste Sturgia. I'm sure there are people who think like me. This should be evaluated.

Please Taleworlds.
Thanks.

In the Lore of Sturgia (and Warband Vaegir) it specifily states that the Sturgians came from the North together with Nord mercenaries (the Skolderbrotva are true Nords for instance) and in Warband it was established that the Nord mercenaries kept coming in greater numbers and eventually seized parts of Vaegir country for themselves.

The Sturgians are a more Slavic culture with traces of some Norse ties that eventuallye evolve into the "Slavic" Vaegir. Maybe one day a dlc or an entirely new game can be made that's set during the period of the Nord invasions where we see the Rhodoks breaking free from the Swadians/vlandians, the Nords conquer parts of the Vaegir kingdom, and the Khergit have taken over the Khuzait and the Asserai are taken over by the Sarranid clan

If you read the article (which you can't because universities charge you like £100 to read a single article),

Hey at least they give you a one page preview on this one, it's better than any other non open access paper I have ever seen :smile:. But to be precise it's not universities that charge you money, it's the publishers. Universities actually will give you access if you are student or work for them (I was about to say for free, but if you are a student I guess you pay them and thus that's not technically free). There's also ways around the barrier, from asking someone with access to email you the paper (which for some reason seems to be acceptable) to ah one website that is somewhat controversial but widely used, but I probably shouldn't get too much into that.

Edit: I just noticed, this journal actually has an option to read 100 articles a month for free with a personal account.

On topic, as much as I agree that vikings have been overhyped and overused I must admit that I miss Nord Huscarls. There is something very satisfying about having a Nord infantry playthrough. Although that probably has more to do with them being fun troops to lead than with them being "Vikings". I do think that having more variety in cultures would be good, I have been playing Perisno a lot these last few days and the thing I am liking most about it is how different the factions are.

The nords in Warband isn't even representing the "Vikings", they are a good example of 12th-13th century Christian Denmark/Sweden/Norway.

no, they don't even have knights. 13th century scandianvia wouldn't look much different from central europe, aka what swadia looked like.

on topic, they should just allow you to join minor factions like i believe to remember was also originally planned, so everyone can roleplay their vikign fetish without havign to resort to using mods.

Hey at least they give you a one page preview on this one, it's better than any other non open access paper I have ever seen :smile:. But to be precise it's not universities that charge you money, it's the publishers. Universities actually will give you access if you are student or work for them (I was about to say for free, but if you are a student I guess you pay them and thus that's not technically free). There's also ways around the barrier, from asking someone with access to email you the paper (which for some reason seems to be acceptable) to ah one website that is somewhat controversial but widely used, but I probably shouldn't get too much into that.

Edit: I just noticed, this journal actually has an option to read 100 articles a month for free with a personal account.

On topic, as much as I agree that vikings have been overhyped and overused I must admit that I miss Nord Huscarls. There is something very satisfying about having a Nord infantry playthrough. Although that probably has more to do with them being fun troops to lead than with them being "Vikings". I do think that having more variety in cultures would be good, I have been playing Perisno a lot these last few days and the thing I am liking most about it is how different the factions are.
Where are you from, because here in germany students dont need to pay for anything. In fact the State even gives you money (On request only) and as a Student you only need to pay them half of what they barrowed to you back.

If you read the article (which you can't because universities charge you like £100 to read a single article), it's clear that it wasn't just a couple of rulers, it was a Europe-wide phenomenon, and the fact that the depictions are actually fairly realistic suggests that they also got to meet people from subsaharan Africa, although it's not clear how. Medieval people didn't have any modern concept of ethnicity so any black Africans they may have met would have just been called Muslim or "Moor" in the sources.

Europe was not some interconnected union. Just looking at a Mercator map you get a very poor understanding of how much different states or the people living in them would have interacted. In the early middle ages the King of the Franks would have had almost no formal contact with Finland, the Kievan Rus or even the Byzantines, while at the same time the pope was sending missionaries to China and there were Arab and Persian settlements around the China sea, and literal metric tonnes of mass produced Chinese pottery is found all over the Mediterranean and Africa, which was itself influenced by Persian art. In the early middle ages there was a similar amount of trade between Subsaharan Africa and Europe, mostly in gold and ivory and other precious imperishables.

My point is that the proximity between states in the middle ages doesn't determine how much contact they had. Trade and contact happens where there is safe passage and cordial relations, and for much of europe before 1300 this wasn't the case.
While I don't particularly disagree with your wider point, there are a couple of things being stretched and conflated here. The Pope didn't send missionaries to China until the 13th century; earlier Christians in China were anything but Roman Catholic and were not 'sent' by anyone. By the 13th century of course, there was plenty of contact between western Europe and northern/eastern/Russian Europe. Likewise, some legends about Prester John (also a bit later) and trade between Europe and Africa (mostly via the middle east) don't meet the 'formal contact' criteria you've imposed for European kingdoms.

But the broader point is that the game only needs to be "historically plausible", not historically accurate - and it is fictional, however many similarities there may be to European cultures. To be historically accurate at any point from ~500AD to ~1500AD for instance, it would need to include religion as an important element of culture (and war) for a start, which I can see the devs may want to avoid for obvious reasons.

It's worth pointing out that the Kievan Rus was a mostly Slavic people being overruled by a Swedish Viking elite. It may be that the Viking Age Scandinavians and their descendants that governed had a large influence on the clothing, weaponry, and culture, particularly among the military, and that the Rus' professional warriors may have been mostly Scandinavian Vikings themselves as we classically envision. The Sturgians are likely replicating theoretical later stages where even the elite become more and more Slavic over time. Keep in mind that the assessment of the exact fine details isn't extremely well known and is sometimes contested, but that the early Slavs and Finns likely had a profound influence from the Swedes that traveled and established the Kievan Rus. It isn't explained very well in the game, as there's really no lore, but I imagine this is the idea in Bannerlord as well. The Vaegirs likely were native to those areas and the Nords came in, ruled and influenced, Sturgia became more Vaegir, more Nord mercenaries and settlers came in, and the ethnic tension between the Sturgian and Vaegir natives vs the Nord settlers, mercenaries, and the purist Nord lords caused war and a split. Sturgia is likely the name of the kingdom, while the ethnicity of the natives is Vaegir. Or at least that's the sense that I can make of this wacky world TW created. I'd be down for more Nords though.

While I don't particularly disagree with your wider point, there are a couple of things being stretched and conflated here. The Pope didn't send missionaries to China until the 13th century; earlier Christians in China were anything but Roman Catholic and were not 'sent' by anyone. By the 13th century of course, there was plenty of contact between western Europe and northern/eastern/Russian Europe. Likewise, some legends about Prester John (also a bit later) and trade between Europe and Africa (mostly via the middle east) don't meet the 'formal contact' criteria you've imposed for European kingdoms.

But the broader point is that the game only needs to be "historically plausible", not historically accurate - and it is fictional, however many similarities there may be to European cultures. To be historically accurate at any point from ~500AD to ~1500AD for instance, it would need to include religion as an important element of culture (and war) for a start, which I can see the devs may want to avoid for obvious reasons.
I feel like people are often trying to make it out as if ancient cultures had little contact when in fact they did. Cultural diffusion was a big thing, and trade on the Mediterranean reached Africa, boats even continued down the Nile and traded with further south Africans. North of modern day Turkey, trade was abound on the black sea as well. They have found evidence that viking raiders even reached down into the Mediterranean and raided parts of northern Africa. Not to mention heading further west from greenland and trading with the native americans long before the european empires went to colonize that land. Wanderers from the east regularly came west for trade. And, if you make the assumption that the empire is effectively based on "Rome", or the eventual de-evolution into the byzantines, well their empire was centered on the mediteranean sea and not exclusively in Europe. During its prime it spread far east and also occupied much of Northern Africa.

Calradia however is not a historical kingdom. It is based on mythos developed by TW themselves, and there is no historical reason why they would need to constrain themselves IMO.

Where are you from, because here in germany students dont need to pay for anything. In fact the State even gives you money (On request only) and as a Student you only need to pay them half of what they barrowed to you back.

Well yes it is different depending on the country, but in most places you do need to pay at least a bit. I am originally from Italy, and there unless you come from a family with very low income you have to pay some (I paid about 2000 euros a year). Now I live in the US and, well... Let's just say American students wish they could pay that low an amount for their education :lol:

Calradia however is not a historical kingdom. It is based on mythos developed by TW themselves, and there is no historical reason why they would need to constrain themselves IMO.

Exactly, I have always thought that trying to held Calradia to historical standards is always a little moot. It is an imaginary place and it doesn't have any real claim to be historically accurate. Now some things would just be weird, like I wouldn't want to see a faction of tiny green men with antennas (well, perhaps in a mod, but it would still be weird). But as long as it's actual human beings with a plausible background (e.g., don't go and put eskimos in the desert), I would be fine with any addition.

Sturgia is likely the name of the kingdom, while the ethnicity of the natives is Vaegir. Or at least that's the sense that I can make of this wacky world TW created. I'd be down for more Nords though.

Vagiroving is the name of one of the Sturgian clans, so it is probably the same deal as Banu Sarran (Sarranids) for the Aserai and Khergits for the Khuzaits: the name for the later polity and people being taken from the winners of a civil war.

It is an imaginary place and it doesn't have any real claim to be historically accurate.

This is the problem though, the official media accounts are constantly posting about the supposed real life equivalents of all the factions. All the blogs mention how the game is an analogue of Europe. I dont really blame people for associating Calradia with Europe when all the PR right now suggests that this is what we should be doing.

Vagiroving is the name of one of the Sturgian clans, so it is probably the same deal as Banu Sarran (Sarranids) for the Aserai and Khergits for the Khuzaits: the name for the later polity and people being taken from the winners of a civil war.

This as a cool thing i noticed in the game aswell, these clans most likely got into power in a later date due to civil war or inheritance and became the ruling dynasties with their kingdoms named after them, there is also the Vaegir guard of the late emperor that got disbanded when he was killed so perhaps the imperials used to call all northerners as Vaegir like the Romans called the Scandinavians as Varangians.

and to OP, the Nords are already in the game but in this timeline they are just mercenaries, adventurers and nobles in small numbers, only on a later date after bannerlord and before warband they moved in numbers into Calradia from Jumne and carved a kingdom for themselves like the Vlandians did.

Last edited:
Considering Warband's map is much small than Bannerlord's, I think its quite possible that the Khuzaits, Aserai and maybe even the Sturgians are still at large. They could all just be buffer states for far greater powers that have no interest in dealing with what remains of Calradia.

Sea Raiders, Skoldabrotva and to some extent the Lake Rats are the Nords. Build an army out of those and roleplay your own Nordic invasion.

I think of Sturgia as super early Kievan Rus, back when Scandinavian influences are still strong. Hence round shields and Ulfhednar. I still think they could be more distinct and have more Kievan Rus esque helmets.

Pretty much this- but TW didn't really go far enough into Rus culture and military. Rus were nearly wiped out as the ruling class by the Mongols in 1200s but in 1080 which is supposedly Bannerlord "era" the Rus were quite strong and raiding into steppe lands and down into Persia via the Caspian.

Crossbows and some of the armours in Bannerlord really call into question the 1080 time so I would say realistically TW should have made the era 1200 when Byzantines were still strong and just before the Mongols wiped out the Rus kingdoms.

In 1080 the Vikings as a cultural group were mostly gone but their descendants were still sort of around but had ceased the massive raiding expeditions and were focused on defending/developing the lands they have settled within as well Christianity had a firm hold in Scandinavia but was still struggling around the Baltic and in eastern Europe so Sturgia being a prototypical Rus people with some strong Nordic influences is what TW was going for.

I think TW somewhat missed the mark as the Rus bordering steppe lands took to horses quite well as mounted infantry while the Nords/Norse of historical Viking fame were mostly fighting as infantry and travelling long distances by sea or river with horses mostly used as pack animals or for farm work and very little for war. Without water travel as an option in Bannerlord TW should have used the later era Rus as the Sturgian prototype to balance the factions.

IF and that is a big IF, TW really does introduce meaningful water movement with Sturgia getting a bonus equivalent to the steppe cavalry +20% then the current implementation might make sense.

Last edited:
As much as I talked about other cultures, I have to admit all this talk of Vikings is making we want to go back and play Viking Conquest now. I hope that we do see a similar type mod or DLC for BL. I feel like we can't really have true vikings without the boats though. A Mediterranean based map with actual naval warfare would be pretty sweet too. Better yet a map that stretched far enough to encompass both would also be pretty cool. You could have Viking battles in the NW and Byzantines and Ottomans teeing off in the south, and of course you can include everything in between.

TW has said vaguely that boats are planned for a later, unspecified date. I imagine they can only come in a DLC that releases after Bannerlord launch. Maybe it will be Vikings. Maybe they will try something else. I do think it would be cool if that DLC does have some historical context though. It made VC really fun and immersive I thought. Time will tell.

On another note, is it that much trouble get onto nexusmods to go through all the Sturgian Viking overhauls and pick one you like?

I'm going to bet we will see it more a s DLC like Viking Conquest was. Though the main thing I want from that DLC is the outpost you can build any where pretty much, the ship travel and of course you friendly pet dog......Dang it modders get these working for me...lol

Back
Top Bottom