using custom troops in mods

Users who are viewing this thread

Basically I want the L'Aigle troops in my mod( copy of a Native module), i tried just swapping the troops.txt files but it crashes the game. how do i go about doing this?

Solution
what file are the weapons normally stored under? Moddings so much effort haha

the list of weapons and their game stats (think damage, speed, etc) are on module_items.py -> item_kinds1.txt. However that doesnt include the sounds, animations, triggers (special code), tableaus and 3D info related to them. So you will need to check a lot more stuff if you are porting items from another mod.

Also remember if your mod is PUBLIC you will need to get permission for the stuff you are using.

instead of trying to blind copy stuff from a mod, you should instead start on a easy task. Find a tutorial on how to add a item and follow those instructions. Then a tutorial on how to create a new soldier troop. Etc. Learn the basics before you...
you cant just copy a .txt file from a module to the other. Troops have a ID (identifier) that is used on other files. So it will break the entire thingy even if it doesnt crash.

module thinks that troop #50 is soldier_X, but your new file has #50 as king_A.
^
example of bug

plus you have issues with items ID (weapons, armor, horses, etc). And so on.

Upvote 0
Yes, you only need to make sure that the weapons etc. which you want them to have are inside your mod too. Logically you can only give them the weapons which are available in the module ^^
You need to watch out for at which places you add the units, so another king gets added behind the other kings etc. You cannot add a whole new faction via that method though, in case this was your plan.

Upvote 0
what file are the weapons normally stored under? Moddings so much effort haha

the list of weapons and their game stats (think damage, speed, etc) are on module_items.py -> item_kinds1.txt. However that doesnt include the sounds, animations, triggers (special code), tableaus and 3D info related to them. So you will need to check a lot more stuff if you are porting items from another mod.

Also remember if your mod is PUBLIC you will need to get permission for the stuff you are using.

instead of trying to blind copy stuff from a mod, you should instead start on a easy task. Find a tutorial on how to add a item and follow those instructions. Then a tutorial on how to create a new soldier troop. Etc. Learn the basics before you try the hard stuff.

Upvote 0
Solution

instead of trying to blind copy stuff from a mod, you should instead start on a easy task. Find a tutorial on how to add a item and follow those instructions. Then a tutorial on how to create a new soldier troop. Etc. Learn the basics before you try the hard stuff.
Fair enough mate, guess i'm jumping in the deep end a little. I'll start having a look at some basic tutorials (tbh not really that many) and i'll go from there. thanks.

P.s the mods just for me, if it ever gets better i'll look into the permission stuff, but that's to far down the line for now.

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom