Unturned: Zombie Survival Sandbox

Users who are viewing this thread

Unturned is a zombie survival game with lots of elements of sandbox games like Minecraft. You spawn on a zombie-infested island with no gear or clothing, and must scrounge weapons, food, and water in order to stay alive. Then, you can begin to take advantage of the island's natural resources, crafting the wood and metal into useful items or even larger things like defensive structures.
The best part of the game is the multiplayer, which is similar to that of DayZ.
Best of all, it's free to play early-access on steam. You can also get permanent 'gold' membership for only 5 USD (not exactly sure what it does, but it supports the developer, I guess).

I've been playing it a lot recently with a few of my school friends, and I think it'd be fun for somebody to get a Taleworlds server up and running.

Er,

It's a ****ty game copied off other games that is poorly made by some kid who doesn't have the faintest of ideas how to design a user interface. It runs like ****, it looks like ****, it plays like ****, and all of the games it copies off of are better.

IMO.

Splintert said:
Er,

It's a ****ty game copied off other games that is poorly made by some kid who doesn't have the faintest of ideas how to design a user interface. It runs like ****, it looks like ****, it plays like ****, and all of the games it copies off of are better.

IMO.

But it's free. And apparently that makes everything sweeter.

The buttons, UI elements, and art looks like a pile of crap thrown together in paint in 5 minutes.

The graphics options contain completely non-standard descriptions - the only way to know what you're really changing is by comparing the effects to other games that have correct descriptions.

But above all, it runs like crap. I couldn't get 60FPS on a singleplayer world on an overclocked i7 3770k  and an R9 290. That's absolutely ridiculous for a game that looks like it does.

I have a less powerful computer than that and I can run it on max without a problem, and plus he is continuing to optimize the game as development progresses.

Splintert said:
What do you consider "running fine"? I know way too many people who think fine is 10FPS with 3 seconds of mouse lag  :lol:
55-60 fps constantly, the lowest I have seen it drop is around 45 when there's a ton of zombies and players all fighting eachother, but even that is pretty fine performance.

I honestly don't get a lot of the criticism it's getting. Terrible art assets? Graphics has never been much of a concern to me (art style is more important IMO), but to be honest the assets aren't bad per se... just simple. Simplicity is good, as it allows you to focus on gameplay, which is the core of every good game. Bad UI? How exactly is it any different than all the other Minecraft clones out there? Though I do agree that it's not well-optimized or well-balanced at the moment, it's been getting regular updates to fix those issues.

Anyway, bottom line is it's fun. You're actually trying to survive in a zombie apocalypse while staving off hunger and thirst... and you get to do it with your buddies. It's a zombie fan's wet dream.

PvE gets boring after a while by the way, just a note to whoever's planning on making a TW server. Either way I'm in.

I was considering adding an unturned server to our line up.  You can ask for one here http://dark-age.net

Warband community Unturned server, as requested!  200 Slots! No Lag, and synced! PVP

unturned.avalon-gaming.com:25444

Everyone come play! xD

This game was built entirely on Roblox just to give a sense by I believe a 14 or 15 year old kid. It's impressive and frankly rather fun. Is it the next big thing like DayZ was? No. But it's fun, kitschy, and unique.

Three year necro, alright.

This has been officially released out of early access now. I've played it a bit both in the more standard survival mode and on a server that is a time-limited battle royale, both quite fun. Looking for people to play with, so hit me up by posting here or messaging me on Steam.

Back
Top Bottom