Two weapon fightin? (dual wielding)

Users who are viewing this thread

Ilex said:
Well I think that it was that rare to have a smaller weapon in other hand. Like a dagger wielded in the same hand as shield (not a heavy one). There are also shields that have 2 blades attached to it (can't remember the name of the weapon/shield, if someone remembers it please post, so i can google a picture).

The shield azaps use has a sharpened area its for that use, to start opponents with it. It's not a main weapon, but a nice challenge and distraction for enemy. I think it was called Turkish sheild

Although your spelling and grammar was simply atrocious, I think I understood your point that you basically want Mount and Blade: Warband to push itself towards being unrealistic, this isn't skyrim, it isn't a fantasy game, dual wielding is completely unrealistic and very, very rarely has anyone used it in a manner where it's more successful than non-dual wielders, but those time periods, it was never really used. It's the same in gunslinger movies, more commonly known as cowboy movies, historically it was never a common thing for them to take two revolvers, but the movie and video game industries protray it as if it was.

Oh, and we already got enough problems with the armorless twohanders jumping off walls in sieges, just imagine if we let em dual wield. It'd be ugly.

Ringo625 said:
Although your spelling and grammar was simply atrocious, I think I understood your point that you basically want Mount and Blade: Warband to push itself towards being unrealistic, this isn't skyrim, it isn't a fantasy game, dual wielding is completely unrealistic and very, very rarely has anyone used it in a manner where it's more successful than non-dual wielders, but those time periods, it was never really used. It's the same in gunslinger movies, more commonly known as cowboy movies, historically it was never a common thing for them to take two revolvers, but the movie and video game industries protray it as if it was.

Since when M&B is realistic ? Are my eyes closed when I play ? Who said unrealistic is not fun ? Do you even know why the first video games were popular before ? Can you answer all these questions please ?

e27 said:
Oh, and we already got enough problems with the armorless twohanders jumping off walls in sieges, just imagine if we let em dual wield. It'd be ugly.

It wouldn't change anything, except that they wield two swords except of a big one. It's the bully who throws a tomato at the bullied each morning, but the next morning, he throws a banana. It will still be a fruit and it will still be humiliating.

kabogh said:
Since when M&B is realistic ? Are my eyes closed when I play ? Who said unrealistic is not fun ? Do you even know why the first video games were popular before ? Can you answer all these questions please ?

THere are some elements in the game that aren't that well abstracted from reality, but I think the core aim is there. It is by far, much more realistic than most sword and board games out there.

e27 said:

It wouldn't change anything, except that they wield two swords except of a big one. It's the bully who throws a tomato at the bullied each morning, but the next morning, he throws a banana. It will still be a fruit and it will still be humiliating.

I think e27 is saying lets not give the bully more variety in his bullying ways.

TBH that's not the issue here, but two-weapon fighting is a bit over-the-top for a game like M&B, something I wouldn't mind in mods, but wouldn't like in vanilla. Warband is not a very hero kinda game, save prison breaks and insane charges and such, just something I'd see as too ridiculous, like adding cabbage-throwing farmers in native.

e27 said:
TBH that's not the issue here, but two-weapon fighting is a bit over-the-top for a game like M&B, something I wouldn't mind in mods, but wouldn't like in vanilla. Warband is not a very hero kinda game, save prison breaks and insane charges and such, just something I'd see as too ridiculous, like adding cabbage-throwing farmers in native.
This. ^^^

Given that M&B has a totally different gameplay concept than e.g. Skyrim, AC or Gothic, turning this game into "hack and slash" game would be a total bust. I don't say that combat mechanics shouldn't be additionally improved but there are plenty of things that should be implemented before that IMO. 

Using two weapons is realistic, to a degree. We should definitely be able to use left hand weapons such as the main gauche and the swordbreaker, these were real weapons which were made to be used in the left hand (main gauche literally meaning left hand in French). We should also be able to use shields more offensively, not simply absorbing hits (which is not realistic at all since most shields were used to deflect blows away, not simply withstand a pounding like they do in M&B), some shields were even designed with offense in mind and are as such very "weapon like" in their use (such as the targe). More fantasy like dual wielding (by which I mean using two longswords, for example) seems more the realm of legend, to emphasize a characters amazing strength. The few instances I know of where a person is said to have used two weapons are disputable as to their accuracy, and the only instances which are likely (or proven) refer almost exclusively to duelists, fighting one-on-one, which is not the focus of M&B anyway.

P.S.- If I have touched on things already covered I apologize, but at over 400 pages I couldn't read the whole thread!

Jo986 said:
P.S.- If I have touched on things already covered I apologize, but at over 400 pages I couldn't read the whole thread!

It's a debate, you must know the arguments of each side before participating yourself.

P.S.: I did read all the pages before posting anything here.

You should go and read ALL the thread, then come back and post.

go, go read the thread and don't make an opinion until you have read all of it or you will risk repeating what some one else has said....I think about 3204 other people have also made the same point I just made :O

I think the problem with alot of requests/suggestions we see on here is misunderstanding what Mount and blade is really about, a historical fiction medieval simulator, based in the 13th century, if something dosent fit the period then it shouldnt be in tbh, as its not really going to fit what M&B is trying to create, this is something should be left for mods or expansions other M&b titles etc,

Lets get back on topic? Now should two weapon fighting be put in? If it's accurate to the historical fiction setting, then yes if not no, simple as that,

M&B is defo individual and something we all love for that reason, making it like everyone other fantasy/hack and slash out there isnt what made it great in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom