Tutorial: Replace the old animation with custom ones

Users who are viewing this thread

dreamterror said:
Delete the line “acf_parallels_for_look_slope”. This is that you can aim at different heights in game. But for some reason it does not function with custom made animations. I don't know why...

I found the answer to this. If you look at the anim_human without splitting it, you'll see that there are low and high attack animations for each native attack animation. These occur 100 frames before and after the 'default' (middle height) animation which is referenced in module_animations. What's good is that this is not rigidly hard coded. Basically, all you need to do to get acf_parallels_for_look_slope to work for custom animations is make low and high attack angle versions of your animation and put them 100 frames before your normal animation for the low angle version, and 100 frames after for the high angle version. It seems to work fine.

I know it works with slightly edited native animations put into a new file. I haven't tested how easy it is to get right with completely new animations, but it certainly works.

Hmm doesn't work for me... :sad:
I made 3 ready and 3 release animations. Each low, default and high. Then I set up the frames with -100 and +100 (to my default) for the low and high animations. I only wrote my default in the python file, because the native also enlists only the default height...

What did you do? have you numerated your animations somehow, or renamed it specially?

Any idea?

I don't know why that didn't work. You do have them all in the same file, yes? I know it seems obvious, but someone else failed to do that. Another obvious thing would be to check if you included acf_parallels_for_look_slope in the animations.py.

Beyond that, I'm not sure. Here's a more detailed explanation of how it worked for me.

Basically, I extracted all the native one handed combat animations from anim_human so I had a new animation file of 940 frames. Because you need a T reference pose (all bones 0/0/0 rotation) at frame 1, I added an extra hundred frames, so the actual animations started at frame 100. That was just so each animation sequence began with a number ending in 0. I exported the whole 1040 frame animation as an .smd and imported it into a new .brf file in openbrf, calling it onehanded_attacks_roundshield. I referenced only the default middle height animation as you have, so for example;

["ready_thrust_onehanded",  acf_thrust|acf_parallels_for_look_slope|acf_anim_length(100)|acf_rotate_body|acf_enforce_rightside,
    [ready_durn, "onehanded_attacks_roundshield", 200, 210, blend_in_ready],

["release_thrust_onehanded", acf_thrust|acf_parallels_for_look_slope|acf_anim_length(100)|acf_rotate_body|acf_enforce_rightside,
    [0.61, "onehanded_attacks_roundshield", 210, 240, blend_in_release],

... and so on and so forth. It works fine for me.

Now I now:

I've made the low default and high animation in 3 different animations, not in a big one.
Now I have done as you have said and tadaa... it works :smile:
Also I was not able to implent a new brf file. So I imported my "big" animationfile to skeletons under anim_human...
No matter, it works.

Thanks a lot.

If it doesn't load your custom animations .brf, it's probably true that all the animation .brfs have to be listed together. I read something on here to that effect once, so I always list the animations before all my other mod files; never tested it any other way, but if it's not working I guess that's why. In other words, it'll work if you put your custom file next to the other animation .brfs in the module.ini list. Should come after load_resource = uni_sideways... or before it, whatever works.

Did you make totally new combat animations? Was it easy to get the high/low transition looking good in game?

Well, I will try the listing possibilities later :wink:

Yes I did it with completly new animations. Seems to work all correct.
Once, I've also tried to do it with 3 different animations, so when you look down it plays a totally other cut, than if you look up. But that didn't go very well. I guess because you have to look really at the bottom, not just somewhat lower, to get a "clear" animation.

Aethelred said:
dreamterror said:
Delete the line “acf_parallels_for_look_slope”. This is that you can aim at different heights in game. But for some reason it does not function with custom made animations. I don't know why...

I found the answer to this. If you look at the anim_human without splitting it, you'll see that there are low and high attack animations for each native attack animation. These occur 100 frames before and after the 'default' (middle height) animation which is referenced in module_animations. What's good is that this is not rigidly hard coded. Basically, all you need to do to get acf_parallels_for_look_slope to work for custom animations is make low and high attack angle versions of your animation and put them 100 frames before your normal animation for the low angle version, and 100 frames after for the high angle version. It seems to work fine.

Christ in a bendybus I have to try this. I tried it before and it didn't work, but if it's possible I did something wrong then that opens up a ton of possibilities.

Back
Top Bottom