Traits/Personalities

Users who are viewing this thread

Gabeed

Master Knight
I've been just wondering how certain traits are attained, and when traits are being randomly given to the player's character.  I can't for the life of me figure out how someone would get the "unwise" personality, though I've seen it on NPCs.  If you somehow blunder in some facet, do you receive this trait, or is it only something you can start out with at the beginning of the game (I always start with a neutral personality)?
With the second part of my question . .. I notice, whenever I off a thieving soldier's head, or pay for all the wine in honor of Catania, a little random chance message thingy appears on the left side of the screen, usually giving you some idea (if the result has changed from 0) whether your personality has changed.  Do traits only potentially get changed when those messages appear?  Because I've merely whipped a murdering soldier, or said lads will be lads, or tried to parley with a lord, and then insult him . . .all things that would possibly merit a shift in personality, but without that little message--implying, it seems, that my actions are not affecting my traits as opposed to the ones mentioned above.

The reputation system is only partially implemented, and I'd be eager to hear suggestions on actions that might cause an adjustment. You're correct in that the reputation only has a chance of shifting when you see the little message. I need to add those in lots of other places.

Here's a run-down so far of what I have. Most of these are not implemented

Keep in mind that these represents shifts in reputation amid a fickle and gossipy public, not the game's judgment on how you're doing. That is why they're largely determined by chance. Also, it might be quite clever in game terms to goad another lord into a fight, but chances are your peers would see you as rash and hotheaded. Likewise you could be rated "unjust" (but also possibly merciful) for inflicting a fairly mild punishment, if it does not fit the standards of the time.

Cunning/unwise:
Managing your fiefs (I have to give the player the ability to manage, of course) (+, or - in extreme circumstances)
Insulting and/or getting into fights with your fellow vassals (-)
Winning or losing a particularly chancy gamble -- ie, a rebellion against your liege (+-)

Bold/hesitant:
Personally taking down enemy troops in battle (+)
Running away from battle, unless you have a significant advantage - ie, because the last enemy soldier is stuck somewhere (-)

Merciful/cruel:
Punishments inflicted on your men (also affects just/unjust)
Treatment of your peasants
Treatment of prisoners

Generous/stingy:
Occasional displays of conspicuous spending (+)
Founding charitable projects (+)
Not doing the above over an extended period of time (-)

Pious/impious:
Regularly receiving the blessing of your priest (+)
Looting churches and mosques (-)

Just/unjust:
Punishing your troops appropriately (+-)
Treating your vassals well (+-)
Arbitrating disputes between your tenants (+-)

Honest/deceitful:
Conspiring against your lord, or against other vassals (-)
Trying to talk your way out of your rent obligations (-)
Not doing the above over an extended period of time (+)

is there anyway to put the traits in the quests box?

Just makes it easier.  And or possibly have the lord give out certain attack on villages to you once you have a set number of troops. Sort of like Onin no Ran mods rank up process.

I've played a lot of Crusader Kings. That's one of the main influences on the mod.

Traits in the quest box is a plan.

I wasn't going to have lords give out specific assignments at scripted points. Do whatever you think will win the war and get you fame. There are a few religiously-based quests that I was thinking about, but they would be assigned by clerics rather than lieges.

Incidentally, clerics and village sheikhs will also have reputations, which will affect their behavior and how the deal with the player.

I would like to add some, if I may...

Cunning: (+) Getting a fellow vassal by your side (when he's +10 or something). Alas, as of now most vassals 'don't have time for this'

Honest: (+) Honoring your rent obligations
(+) Telling the truth when a lord ask about another vassal (ie, reflects your relation with him)
(--) Cheating :grin:
However, to reflect how trust is easier to lose than to earn, changes toward + should be way weaker than toward -

Generous (+) Giving money to your fiefs when trading (dunno if it's possible)
(-) The contrary

You may add a new dichotomy:

refined noble/rude soldier
financing things such as churches, mosques, monastries and so on (+)
buying luxury items (+)
campaigning and battling a lot in a small period of time (-)
looting (-)

This trait would affect the diplomacy and the way you interact with the army. The soldiers won't like a person who they think is a sissy, but even a Norman noble wouldn't like to talk with a peer looking like a peasant.

Shady said:
You can also become impious through buying drinks in the tavern on a regular basis.

i assume you mean this top be the case if you are a muslim character

Ok, so i know now that not all traits can be attained yet.  But do all traits have some effect on the game?  For example, if you are unwise, does a merchant screw you over on smoked fish prices because he knows that you're a fool?  Does it have some other effect?  Or are the effects also not fully implemented yet?

Those are all good ideas. The rude soldier/refined lord is actually going to be a large part of the well-mannered/eccentric dichotomy, which largely refers to how the character conforms to the standard of his/her social class (actually, if it's "her," the answer is almost always going to be "does not conform very well.")

Both Christians and Muslims risk being considered impious for putting drinks on the house. I'm assuming that you pay for four or more alcohol units above what the troops have already drunk that evening. You're encouraging mercenaries to get drunk, with all the disorder that entails. Muslims might suffer a bit more, but at this period there was a fair amount of Muslim wine-imbibing. I was planning to make the cut-off point for heavy drinking to be piety +1 and up for Muslims, piety +2 and up for Christians.

Right now the main effect of traits is how other lords treat you. It has some impact on the speed at which you receive fiefs. Being just and cruel deters disciplinary offenses, to a degree. Other than that it doesn't affect too much.

Back
Top Bottom