Total War Series

Which is according to you the best of the series?

• Shogun: Total War

Votes: 10 5.5%
  • Medieval: Total War

Votes: 20 11.0%
  • Rome: Total War

Votes: 75 41.2%
  • Medieval2: Total War

Votes: 56 30.8%
  • Empire: Total War

Votes: 21 11.5%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Hietala

Grandmaster Knight
There are many TW fans among M&B players, so I decided to make a topic (I haven't found one so far) about these series. You can discuss about tactics, problems, etc..

My favorites are both RTW and M2TW.. Cavalry charges may be faster in RTW, but in RTW they don't have mighty Gothic Knights  :twisted: (best cavalry, woooo)

Empire Total war is.... nothing compared to the other games in the series. Many people think it's a waste of money, and it pretty much is... They have only 1 better thing than M2TW, and that is their gunpowder units. (which are a waste of florins in M2TW)

Haven't played STW or MTW yet, but I'll do that once I got some more time..

The first TW games with the more simple campaign have a certain charm to them. I think MTW has the best battles of the series, though I haven't played all that much MTW2. Shogun is absolutely tits, too. Feudal japan = awesome.

Played every one of those except Shogun.I have to say,its hard to decide between Rome and Medieval 2.Sure,Rome is propably the funniest game in the series,but I love the new things Medieval brought,like multiple troop recruitment.Empires did do something good:Naval battles.Hopefully well se Rome 2:Total War soon :wink:

Temuzu said:
Played every one of those except Shogun.I have to say,its hard to decide between Rome and Medieval 2.Sure,Rome is propably the funniest game in the series,but I love the new things Medieval brought,like multiple troop recruitment.Empires did do something good:Naval battles.Hopefully well se Rome 2:Total War soon :wink:
RTW had pretty inspiting general speeches... But nothing beats the Milanese speeches in M2TW :razz: "Ahhh, snake, snake!!!!!" xD

I've only just started playing Empire, so I have not really made a decision on it yet, but I would say rome is my favorite from the series, mostly because it is the one I keep going back to time and time again.

Well,the main reason i dont really like Empire is that it keeps crashing all the time :mad: And if I want to install Rome,I have to install it atleast 2-5 times becouse theres some file missing,but sometimes it finds it,sometimes not.

I've only tried Rome (AWOMO had a free trial a while back), but I enjoyed it. Unfortunately the combat was real-time instead of turn-based, so the appeal was limited; I decided not to buy it when the trial expired.

Rome is my favourite. It has the relative simplicity of Shogun and the first Medieval, as well as better graphics and it's set in one of my favourite time periods. RTW: BI is not as good but can still be very fun, and Alexander is holy ****ing balls to the wall awesome.

M2TW is also great, especially the fighting, but it's no match for Rome unless you have the Stainless Steel mod for it.

Shogun and the first Medieval I don't like as much because I got used to the controls for Rome before trying them, and it screwed me over big time. In Shogun, all the factions are the same, really, so that's also not too great. The overland map is very awesome though.

I call a tie between Rome and Medieval 2. I like Rome for the more dynamic battles, though Medieval 2 has something to it that calls my attention.
Empire is pretty cool too, specially because it adds more depth to the whole game. If you forget 'dem bugs it a pretty nice game, actually.
I never got to play the first medieval and Shogun was rather confusing for me, so I didn't play it for more than a day...

I don't really know if I buy Napoleon:Total War (when it's out) though.
I think the next game in the TW series will be a modern warfare one, and I would ****ing love it if they made a game that goes all the way from Rome to future warfare (though the amount of data/graphics required for it would make the game possible only in, what? 10 years?)

So far, Rome: Total War is my favourite (with mods), Medieval 2 was nice too, I played them both unmodded for quite a bit before getting mods. Europa Barbarorum for RTW is pure win, and Stainless Steel for M2 is sweet. Empire is pretty decent in vanilla too, it has problems but it's not any worse than the previous games vanilla versions. Same battle AI though and could be better, I look forward to the major mods once the freaking modding tools are released, but I guess that won't be for a couple of years :/

Oddly enough my same buffalo horns tactic still works, except with more shooting. The enemy usually advances charges across the map and sometimes might not even bother shooting before charging.

Sir Prince said:
Oddly enough my same buffalo horns tactic still works, except with more shooting. The enemy usually advances charges across the map and sometimes might not even bother shooting before charging.

Really? Your game seems to be a reverse of mine. Or worse, instead of me charging, the enemy charges and is better than melee at me. I spend way too much time practicing with swords in RL, so I'm always looking down at my men just shouting at the monitor "No you retard, parry then counter! You there! The guy beside you isn't even LOOKING at you! Slice his back open! You retarded drummer, just bash the commander over the head with your drum! NO ONE CARES IF YOU CAN'T DRUM."

I'd say it has to be Rome for me. I love everything about Medieval 2, and the mods make it the perfect RTS for me. But Rome just has this undeniable charm about it. Putting me at the command of the Imperial Legions just makes me giddy in an indescribable way.

CJ1145 said:
Sir Prince said:

Really? Your game seems to be a reverse of mine. Or worse, instead of me charging, the enemy charges and is better than melee at me. I spend way too much time practicing with swords in RL, so I'm always looking down at my men just shouting at the monitor "No you retard, parry then counter! You there! The guy beside you isn't even LOOKING at you! Slice his back open! You retarded drummer, just bash the commander over the head with your drum! NO ONE CARES IF YOU CAN'T DRUM."

I'd say it has to be Rome for me. I love everything about Medieval 2, and the mods make it the perfect RTS for me. But Rome just has this undeniable charm about it. Putting me at the command of the Imperial Legions just makes me giddy in an indescribable way.
Well, so far, although the only people I've fought so far are the French and Spanish, and the Spanish don't even have plug bayonets (no idea why they haven't researched it 40 turns into the game) but still charge me...

Shogun was great, but it's true all factions are the same. Gets boring with time
Medieval had variety, and soldiers weren't so dark (colors!). Also, sieges
I played Rome... bugs/errors, unrealistic, less variety than Medieval.
Medieval 2: meh. An improved Medieval with better graphics. But not very different.

I played Warhammer: the Dark Omen before, it's to TW like Dune 2 to C&C :razz:

Does someone want to give me E:TW through steam? The only time I played it was on my cousin's computer and I'm addicted to the game even without playing it.  :sad:
It's just 49USD, y'know... :roll: (god, begging for gifts on a forum where everyone hates me doesn't seem too bright)

Back
Top Bottom