Too much cavalry

Users who are viewing this thread

ssSvRuv.jpg

I get where you're coming from, cav is pretty amazing as attested by our fine enemy in this game before he quit it before it ended. However, i have found more often than not that the issue in itself isn't the horses but exactly how often you get a clear spear into the head of the horses on your screen and then it just continues on while the enemy couches you right down, i always play spearmen so it happens quite often, this was just a one off all cav match for me and a few friends.

Well in team deathmatch it can get out of hand if you have a mindless team which dont use spears, but in captain mode cav is kinda weak.
I had today/or yesterday a funny round in team deathmatch, where khuzait spammed cav against us, but after a while my team adapted to the situation and well...there was no cav later anymore, they got stopped with spears or mowed down with arrows...ironic.
So it depends mostly on your team, cav isnt really that strong, tactic...use your brains.

Then i have come with an even grander solution. Play the game and improve to the point where this no longer happens.

lmao the good old “git gud” argument when neither of my points even matter how good you are. If I stab at a horse head and it somehow hits its shoulder that’s a hit box issue. If me and 5 others with spears cannot take down one horse dude before he runs off while his couch Lance is a one shot that is a game balance issue.

Has nothing to do with how good you are, and while I’m not a super duper pro l33t player I can hold my own so let’s drop that arguement.

lmao the good old “git gud” argument when neither of my points even matter how good you are. If I stab at a horse head and it somehow hits its shoulder that’s a hit box issue. If me and 5 others with spears cannot take down one horse dude before he runs off while his couch Lance is a one shot that is a game balance issue.

Has nothing to do with how good you are, and while I’m not a super duper pro l33t player I can hold my own so let’s drop that arguement.

You tell em', Maboobs :lol:

I avoid team death match due to this but in siege mode by the time you are at the last flag its just a rohan horse battle. Making it more expensive, limit the number of cav, and rider skill requirements should be key to cutting this down. With hit box issues and the mass amount of people on horseback its just annoying. Skill is one thing but playing to avoid getting trampled from behind early as attacker is another.

I try to counter them with spears, but they don't stop Cav. Same issue in Singleplayer. It probably works the same.

I dunno how anyone in their right mind could think this is ok.
If spears could stop horses and banging against objects could stop Cav momentum, it would be more like warband.

Last edited:
Your soldiers in the first clips hadnt even spears what do you expect?
I admit many of the riders who got stopped should have been killed by the troops.
Somehow the troops couldnt land a hit, but I think this is a problem in general, that swings sometimes not really hit.
The last clip was worrying and this should not happen, I agree there is some work needed.
Cant remember cavalry had it that easy in Warband.

I think they can't get a working cavalry A.I. and so they overcompensate with the numbers. But when you get into multiplayer, it is disastrous. The most viable strategy I've found is to play cav, hold your A.I. in reserve, and just mess with the A.I. as a player and use your other reserve cav as your many lives. This makes for a boring drawn out game. I thought I'd just get toxicity if I lobby'd for better spear-cav damage or mechanics, but I guess I'm not alone... They should be losing all momentum when they charge head on and there should almost always be a free hit involved. Cavalry should never charge infantry head on and be successful.

Your soldiers in the first clips hadnt even spears what do you expect?

When its dark? Look closely, they are using spears. I expect those spearman to stop the cavalry. Even without spears, Cav should not be able to break deep ranks of Infantry that hold their ground.

Somehow the troops couldn't land a hit, but I think this is a problem in general, that swings sometimes not really hit.

If they DIDNT have spears, they actually would have done better (which is a problem). I have proof. Here is Cav vs Archers, most of the deaths were done from 1h weapons NOT bows. You shall also see the same physics issue.

Also a side note, on equal numbers, (250 vs 250) the Spearman lose to the Cav but the Archers beat the Cav (both with deep ranks on default formation, which is the best foramtion as formations are broken).

I originally uploaded this to communicate concerns with Singleplayer. To see this issue in multiplayer though is a bigger problem to me. In Warband you had to flank with Cav and use mobility when fighting pikes. Instead in multiplayer they balance it by not giving Lancers shields (I presume so missles can take them out easier). I say let the Lancers have their shields but make the horses stop when poked by pikes (from the front).

Some people suggested a Cav limit. Having a limited amount of overpowered troops is not a solution. The game should be more tactical as warband was. Not arcady like Chivarly or War of the Roses etc. Sure lower tier classes should be at disadvantage, but there should also be reasonable and realistic methods to deal with Cav.

Cavalry isn't strong, it's just a noobstomper class, it's only scary if you don't know how to deal with it.

Even if I spear a horse to the head it doesnt stop it and cause it to rear up. It's extremely inconsistent.

Biggest problems with horses though is knockdowns. Why am I completely defenseless for 5 seconds when a horse pushes me over, yet they can block WHILE ON THE GROUND after getting knocked off a horse?

Getting knocked down by a horse and instakilled by nearby teammates tops my list for most un-fun mechanic. There is nothing you can do against cav while engaged with someone else. They can just ram into you for a free knockdown and kill. FF doesnt allow knocking down allies either

Even if I spear a horse to the head it doesnt stop it and cause it to rear up. It's extremely inconsistent.

Biggest problems with horses though is knockdowns. Why am I completely defenseless for 5 seconds when a horse pushes me over, yet they can block WHILE ON THE GROUND after getting knocked off a horse?

Getting knocked down by a horse and instakilled by nearby teammates tops my list for most un-fun mechanic. There is nothing you can do against cav while engaged with someone else. They can just ram into you for a free knockdown and kill. FF doesnt allow knocking down allies either
+1 idk why they dont fix that ****

Then i have come with an even grander solution. Play the game and improve to the point where this no longer happens.
The absolute minimum requirement for an infantry in Warband was to be able to stop horses. Now its an advanced method and even the best infantries fail atleast a quarter of the time,depending on the skill of the cavalry...Telling someone like Mabon to get better is pretty hilarious though.

Well in team deathmatch it can get out of hand if you have a mindless team which dont use spears, but in captain mode cav is kinda weak.
I had today/or yesterday a funny round in team deathmatch, where khuzait spammed cav against us, but after a while my team adapted to the situation and well...there was no cav later anymore, they got stopped with spears or mowed down with arrows...ironic.
So it depends mostly on your team, cav isnt really that strong, tactic...use your brains.
Thats because the cavalry AI is braindamaged. Most of the time they run in circles scratching their own arse, wondering if it'll rain or not. Then when they do attack they just run straight forward without couches and just die. You're better off hiding your cavalry units somewhere and taking control over them one by one.

+1

What’s up with all these noobs telling people with 8 years of warband experience to “git gud” like they aren’t already good af bannerlord

Cavalry isn't strong, it's just a noobstomper class, it's only scary if you don't know how to deal with it.
In captain this has some truth to it, but in 1v1 duels infantry almost never stands a chance unless the cav either doesn't know what he's doing or the footman's range is vastly superior to the horseman's. There should be proper pikes, which do some heavy damage when thrusted into a horse, and can actually out-reach the horseman.

And please fix the goddamned shield hitboxes. Archers could stand a chance against a horseman while he is exposing himself to an arrow but no, if he has a shield but isn't even holding it in front of him, the arrow will hit the shield regardless (somehow) and you're dead congratulations.

I agree there should be limit on some classes, but ONLY WHEN they've expanded upon the classes and got rid of pre-set gear. NW did this well except for the gear part. Classes could be Light infantry, heavy infantry, light skirmishers, light cavalry, heavy cavalry, lancers, heavy archers, light archers etc etc.

Back
Top Bottom