Too easy to use two handed/polearm on horseback?

Users who are viewing this thread

Ted Striker

Veteran
Polearms especially but all those large two handed melee weapons. I am able to use any large two handed weapon on horseback just as easily as a one handed sword while maintaing complete control of my horse. Wtf.

Dropping the reins should mean you lose mobility at the least, unless you are a highly trained horse archer and even then their mobility should be reduced when drawing their bow.

Using a voulge or bardiche from horseback should be a LOT more difficult than it is, and I don't mean in a percentage penalty. Even two handed swords should be quite difficult to use. Can't be expected to lean over with these large weapons and swing away while controlling your horse.

Didn't notice it in first playthrough as I was sword and shield, but in this new one damn it's so cheesy to use these large weapons like this.

Hmmm... Now that you think of it, you have a point. Maybe at the very least, our horses should have a remarkably wider turn radius while we're swinging two-handers. Although not necessarily. Knights can control their horses without holding the reins.

At some point, the pursuit of realism in a game needs to give way to the need for the player to have decent control.

Could put a little more weight into the animations, though. That wouldn't hurt anything. As I said, it's perfectly reasonable for a knight to control his horse without touching the reigns, but it's not particularly easy to swing a big two-handed weapon from horseback.

Normally, I'd be struggling between bow+arrow+shield+1H build or the lance+1h+shield+thrown build, but now I'm actually droping the swords altogether.
the Long Glaive is a polearm that is a lance, a 1H, and a 2H weapon. it's just incredible

Someone that's too short should not be able to wield quite a few of the longer polearms in the game on foot with any kind of efficiency at all as well. Yet you can make quite short characters. In fact I would argue that using any kind of weapon and putting force behind it would be quite difficult on horseback for the untrained.
I get it though. You'd rather see more varied choices in what is the most efficient tool to turn the enemy horses in to dog food! I wouldn't mind a little tweaking, so long as it doesn't render polearms useless. I think they're in a good place at the moment.

I disagree. Two Handed is quite easy to use but i personally havent been able to kill a single person yet with a polearm from a horse. -.-

I disagree. Two Handed is quite easy to use but i personally havent been able to kill a single person yet with a polearm from a horse. -.-
Piercing or cutting? I did ok-ish with regular spears, but they are piercing only, which is hard to time right. But cutting with glaive is a lot easier, it's just like a sword in fact, only with a lot longer reach, and the ability to crouch lance

There's something more with horseback fighting that needs to be fixed. AI on a horse tends to try and get as close to the enemy as possible (same in melee). They try to cut the distance but weapons are not working like in warband and if you're too close you will miss enemies no matter how you swing. That's why AI on horseback can't land a hit. I noticed that it's a lot more effective to keep some distance from enemy while swinging sword if You want to land a hit.

Piercing or cutting? I did ok-ish with regular spears, but they are piercing only, which is hard to time right. But cutting with glaive is a lot easier, it's just like a sword in fact, only with a lot longer reach, and the ability to crouch lance
Piercing yes. I just can't seem to be able to aim the damn spear/lance at the enemy and always miss.

Piercing yes. I just can't seem to be able to aim the damn spear/lance at the enemy and always miss.

Mounted combat feels very bad overall. The rider jerks back and forth, moving the weapon from one side of the horse the the other all the time, there's no real depth or hit perception because of the goofy camera angle, and doing something seemingly simple like attack an enemy directly next to you requires jerking the mouse to put the camera to nearly overhead or else you just swing over the time of them. I don't even know exactly where to begin, but aside from super long lances everything about mounted combat feels just...bad.

and that's my point lol. Swinging a voulge or glaive from horseback with any sort of effectiveness is just wrong.
Of all the things to add, making weapons harder to use or horses harder to control is definitely not one I would like them to waste time on.

Of all the things to add, making weapons harder to use or horses harder to control is definitely not one I would like them to waste time on.
and I disagree. I want them to make polearms and two handed weapons harder to use on horseback, along with horses harder to control when doing so. Maybe on Easy or Very Easy difficulty it can remain as it is, but Realistic should keep things more or less realistic.

Back
Top Bottom