Other World Map Thorgrim's Example Map

Users who are viewing this thread

Thorgrim

Knight at Arms
Hey guys, I thought I would start an example map to show some of the stuff that is possible with the map editor. Hopefully it will give some of you ideas for your own maps. For now it is a very simple modification of the standard M&B Map. I'll be adding to it as frequently as I can.

Features include:

- Bridge over the river next to Zendar
- Waterfall near Zendar
- Smoothed out rivers at the edges of the map
- New Zendar town mesh

Anyone is free to use the new BRF file and map_icons.txt in their own mod to add bridges etc to your own map etc. I also plan to make some tutorials on how to create bridges etc in the near future.

To install, back up map_misc.dds, strategy_misc_data.brf, and the txt files of the module you wish to install over. Then extract all files, and move to the relevant directories. (I'll make an install or something later)

Happy Modding :smile:

Download: Thorgrim's Example Map

mbme0-5.jpg

Yes, the path finding seems to handle it quite well, though occasionally it bumps into the river before crossing.

If you take a look with the map editor you'll see its just basically a town, with a new mesh and menu, with plains underneath. Since map icons don’t hinder movement anything can walk over it just like it was a normal map tile :smile:

Pretty cool. I figured that a waterfall would be possible. Ill try to work that in to my map at some point. Bridge is nice too.

Thank you again for your editor, Thorgrim.

If create a bridge is possible,
I suppose that do a "moutain_pass" would be too ?!
(with another way than plain_texture trough the moutain :eek:)

kool. You talk about using BRF models for towns, are you just talking the icons on the map for now? Or can we create the buildings in our own towns?

yehrom said:
Thank you again for your editor, Thorgrim.

If create a bridge is possible,
I suppose that do a "moutain_pass" would be too ?!
(with another way than plain_texture trough the moutain :eek:)
like this?
passes0bh.jpg

and yes, you and the AIs can go through it, that little dot to the right of the Inn is my hero party

yehrom: I think I know what you mean. and yes, it can be done in a similar way. For example an Indiana Jones style swinging bridge over a great chasm, or little stone step path up a mountain... all very possible. The mesh cloning makes it a lot easier too.

n00854180t: If there is a limit, its very high :wink: If you make a huge mound in the terrain you'll see there is almost no limit to what can be climbed (M&B people are very good climbers it seems!). The only limit on movement seems to be water and mountain tiles.

jik: For now I only changed the map meshes, but of course you can change the buildings in the towns too if, go have a play with Lurbs BRF editor :smile:

Just to let you all know, I've been working on this map a little more. Added some new Icons (which you might see in one or 2 other mods :wink: )

Haven't released the map officially yet as I'm still working on some things, but here is the latest addition:

castle2.jpg

The walls actually stop you from getting to the inner keep, and the only accessible location from the outside is the gate, meaning you can easily add a gatekeeper dialog who will only let you in to the inner castle under certain conditions (like if you are on the right side).

I’ll hopefully have the new map up some time in the next few days.

Back
Top Bottom