There's only one thing I ask the makers of this mod

Users who are viewing this thread

Yeah. I did a little research last night and found that the Romans had the only professional army. It seems that all of the other nations only had militias or purely voluntary forces. If I'm wrong, someone correct me...(segmentata guy) lol

That sounds right according to my Entry-level understanding of Antiquity. Although Rome never had a particularly "Professional" army since they had no real career soldiers up until the Marian reforms.

Otomodachi-san said:
Yeah. I did a little research last night and found that the Romans had the only professional army. It seems that all of the other nations only had militias or purely voluntary forces. If I'm wrong, someone correct me...(segmentata guy) lol
Carthage had an super economy so they had enough money to buy up to 3 mercenary armies. I am also a little sure that some phalanx divisions in the Seleukid empire were forced to grind onion on their sheilds and equipment thus making their shields and equipment look shiny, so thats... eh.... proffesional eh?

Pierce Elliot said:
That sounds right according to my Entry-level understanding of Antiquity. Although Rome never had a particularly "Professional" army since they had no real career soldiers up until the Marian reforms.

Yeah you are right about that. Since the game will be based in 268 B.C., I suppose there won't actually be any true armies. Rome (as I believe), was just establishing itself in that time, but of course I could be very wrong about that...or was that about the time of Hannibal and Scipio Africanus? Which if that is the case, then Rome would have controled most of the Italian Peninsula. But still, even then, Greece (or the Chremonidian League) would have been slightly at the advantage (to Rome at least) in the sense of established armed forces. I've only done minimal research, so I'm cool with hack n' slash corrections lol. Dig in and tell me if I'm wrong.

Edit:

Ok. Looked on Wikipedia (which should never be considered 100% reliable) and found that Rome was erected around 800-700 B.C. Generally the same time as Greece's Archaic period...whatever that was =]

Roman Replublic during this time (268 B.C.)

Game is just after the second Punic War...Hanibal and Scipio's little ordeal

Still nothing on a developed military.

Otomodachi-san said:
Ok. Looked on Wikipedia (which should never be considered 100% reliable) and found that Rome was erected around 800-700 B.C. Generally the same time as Greece's Archaic period...whatever that was =]

Roman Replublic during this time (268 B.C.)

Game is just after the second Punic War...Hanibal and Scipio's little ordeal

Still nothing on a developed military.

Ehm, Second Punic War was fought from 218 to 201 BC so the mod is set long before the SPW. Instead the First Punic War (264 to 241 BC) was just around the corner.

Ehm, Second Punic War was fought from 218 to 201 BC so the mod is set long before the SPW. Instead the First Punic War (264 to 241 BC) was just around the corner.

Oh ok. Gotcha. The Wiki just said punic wars were fought in the second half of the third century, which led me to think 350-300 B.C. So the second half would've been 250-200 B.C. Ok, got it.  :grin:

Yeah after the Second Punic war Marian enacted a bit of reforms which would eventually lead to the Legionaries. One of those reforms being Career soldiers. Before soldiers would enlist into the army for 4 years I think. Meaning they had no professional and well seasoned units. The Legionnaires wouldn't actually be seen though until after the Greek wars I believe.

Back
Top Bottom