Can The Witcher 3 beat skyrim?

• Yes Indeed

Votes: 186 86.5%
  • No Of course

Votes: 51 23.7%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Moose! said:
So I just bought the Complete Edition and am going to start playing once my new computer ships. Anyone able to recommend any good mods, or should I just go straight in to vanilla?

You might want to consider some kind of mod to buff crossbow damage, it's completely useless as a ranged weapon and it doesn't matter what kind of bolts you use.

Flying monsters tend to come to the ground to attack me, so I just use Aard or Igni when they're close. Underwater I can see the use, but most water mobs get one-shotted from it, no?

Dantе said:
Flying monsters tend to come to the ground to attack me, so I just use Aard or Igni when they're close. Underwater I can see the use, but most water mobs get one-shotted from it, no?

spoiler alert:
first big monster you kill, IIRC, is also part of the xbow tutorial. You are very early in the game and with few skills/abilities, so the xbow is quite useful at that point

you can play the game in different ways. Maybe you are focusing on fighting + potions skills, with no magic. Or you have magic, but only defensive magic. Or the xbow is a fun weapon for diversity sake, so you can vary how you fight monsters. Or you simple like archery. Or you have too many materials and crafting special bolts is a way to use them for something. Or... insert 1000 other variations from personal taste

if you are talking about min-max, or the optimal way to play the game, xbow may be a bad choice (on land). But players don't need to follow the perfect path. They should actually follow the fun path (whatever that is for each player).

and IIRC (being awhile since I played) the underwater is usually one shoot. But its either that or be killed by drowners.

I also vaguely remember it being needed for one or two quests. Don't get me wrong, it's an obvious matter of what you prefer to have in your gameplay. Some people don't ever bother with alchemy, and that's perfectly fine, regardless that it gives tremendous advantages. I've seen quite a few let's plays and streams where the players play with the crossbow as much as they do with the swords.

I think it has a very narrow set of uses though. Which is fine, I guess, because it adds to the feeling of actually preparing for a fight which was somewhat lessened by the current alchemy system.

I think it would be cool to have a Witcher game with less emphasis on combat where each encounter feels significant.

The crossbow is kind of useless, but it couldn't be any other way. The witcher swords are too important in the lore to have any other weapon stealing the limelight

They have to be for a few areas where there are several drowners all clustered together. One such area is in a main story quest. On the 2 highest difficulties you probably couldn't kill them all before dying if you had to shoot each one twice.

Found Witcher 1's difficulty to be rage worthy XD and was never able to get into Witcher 2 as I didn't have a PC able to run it nicely. Finished Witcher 3 and its DLCs and have to say it really felt like a work of art from the Percival mixed music to the graphics, story and the voice acting. I rarely finish or stick with individual games as I get bored of them pretty quickly but the game kept me enthralled. My only gripe was (major spoiler so don't click unless you've finished the game):

THE ENDING. I ended up getting the worst of all the endings and its still a brilliant ending but man I felt a tad slighted for getting that ending due to a few dialogue choices compared to all the other choices you made in the game. Especially given the vagueness of some of the dialogue choice consequences. When I said "You don't have to be good at everything" I didn't mean get drunk and don't try lol. Aside from that minor gripe really loved the game.

rejenorst said:
Found Witcher 1's difficulty to be rage worthy XD and was never able to get into Witcher 2 as I didn't have a PC able to run it nicely. Finished Witcher 3 and its DLCs and have to say it really felt like a work of art from the Percival mixed music to the graphics, story and the voice acting. I rarely finish or stick with individual games as I get bored of them pretty quickly but the game kept me enthralled. My only gripe was (major spoiler so don't click unless you've finished the game):

THE ENDING. I ended up getting the worst of all the endings and its still a brilliant ending but man I felt a tad slighted for getting that ending due to a few dialogue choices compared to all the other choices you made in the game. Especially given the vagueness of some of the dialogue choice consequences. When I said "You don't have to be good at everything" I didn't mean get drunk and don't try lol. Aside from that minor gripe really loved the game.
The thing with "you don't have to be good at everything" is that the one thing she's frustrated for failing at is the thing that she MUST be good at or they all die. Reminding her that she's not good at the thing that she has to do to literally save the world is not the best parental support.

Yeah I didn't catch exactly what it was that she was supposed to be good at, knew that she had an important role etc etc,  but didn't get much time to think about it in the few seconds of time it gave you to make a dialogue decision. Suffice to say that the game does a great job at making you feel like the ****-iest parent on earth for it lol.

rejenorst said:
Yeah I didn't catch exactly what it was that she was supposed to be good at, knew that she had an important role etc etc,  but didn't get much time to think about it in the few seconds of time it gave you to make a dialogue decision. Suffice to say that the game does a great job at making you feel like the ****-iest parent on earth for it lol.
I thought the game did a good job of shoving down your throat the fact that Ciri is prophesied to stop the white death. That's more-or-less why she teamed up with Ava'lach, so she could learn from him more about how she was supposed to do it. He had his own rather obsessive motivations, but he mostly seemed to set those aside during your interactions with him in the game. I'm not sure how much clearer it could've been, but I will agree that the written dialogue choices aren't always what you think they should be. Plus, of the other two endings, only one actually makes you feel any good. The other is kind of depressing.
All that aside, I think the best way to experience the game is to play through it the first time without knowing how that system works, or that it even exists. Then you get to see it played back for you at the end and go "ah ****, I'm an *******."

Yeah I got that but I for some reason I didn't catch on to what she was learning in that moment in time and didn't assign it much weight especially since I wasn't aware how the dialogue choices would affect the ending, since like you said the dialogue choices aren't always what you think they are but at the same time I didn't realize the game endings where based on a few dialogue choices rather than actions throughout the game.  I probably  wasn't paying as much attention as I should have been either way since I did a large amount of side quests between story missions.

Lets put it this way; the worst ending likely has more of an impact than the others so from an artistic perspective they hit the mark. It just left me... empty lol after all that. Which I expect was the intent.  My personal preference would have been more action orientated outcomes rather than dialogue outcomes but that's just personal preferences and doesn't affect my opinion overall of the game itself.

Orion said:
rejenorst said:
I thought the game did a good job of shoving down your throat the fact that Ciri is prophesied to stop the white death. That's more-or-less why she teamed up with Ava'lach, so she could learn from him more about how she was supposed to do it. He had his own rather obsessive motivations, but he mostly seemed to set those aside during your interactions with him in the game. I'm not sure how much clearer it could've been, but I will agree that the written dialogue choices aren't always what you think they should be. Plus, of the other two endings, only one actually makes you feel any good. The other is kind of depressing.
All that aside, I think the best way to experience the game is to play through it the first time without knowing how that system works, or that it even exists. Then you get to see it played back for you at the end and go "ah ****, I'm an *******."

Yep. Been there, done that. Though mostly because

I let two entire kingdoms go to hell in a handbasket and thousands of people die simply because I wanted to protect my adoptive daughter from getting bullied by assholes.

rejenorst said:
It certaily punishes instinctive parental protection choices. I know why but assumed player would be there to fix things oghdmbvfimabadparent  :cry:

It did have emotional impact on me though, unlike some video game stories. And it's kinda fitting that there aren't always rainbow farting unicorns at the end, considering the grim Witcher universe.

Back
Top Bottom