Can The Witcher 3 beat skyrim?

• Yes Indeed

Votes: 186 86.5%
  • No Of course

Votes: 51 23.7%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Wellenbrecher said:
Honestly, once I bother to buy all the DLC and play the game again I'll use a mod like this:
http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/882/?

It's just frustrating when you stand next to a Skull marked enemy, hacking away, not getting hit, being awesome in general and then having to abort the fight because you ran out of sword repair items... :meh:
I think even in the worst condition possible the swords don't break, and the damage penlaty doesn't go under 50% (may depende on dificulty) so you can always keep fighting.

Orion said:
I forgot to mention, Blood & Broken Bones difficulty is probably the best to start with if you want to be challenged but not molested. The only difference between that and Death March (the highest difficulty) is damage output of enemies and Geralt.

Wouldn't say so myself. Even the hardest difficulty, after you start getting some equipment at or around your level, becomes a steamroll. Found it a little difficult up to level 7, but after that the difficulty became trivial, and deaths were few and usually related to me making a silly mistake (like getting caught on a fence post). Didn't mind though, as I enjoyed the combat system (even if it isn't DS) and the story and side quests were great. Still need to do an NG+, missed a lot of content first time through.

Was that your first ever time through the game? I started rolling after 5 or 6 levels in Deathmarch too, but I had played once in B&BB already.

Coming from Dark Souls definitely gives you the right mentality for Deathmarch. Jump in, attack a couple times, jump out.

Orion said:
Was that your first ever time through the game? I started rolling after 5 or 6 levels in Deathmarch too, but I had played once in B&BB already.

Coming from Dark Souls definitely gives you the right mentality for Deathmarch. Jump in, attack a couple times, jump out.

Yeah, it was my first run (to this day only done one run, actually). I did play Witcher 2 on the hardest difficulty when that was released too, so I sorta knew what to expect. Plus as you said, Dark Souls also gives the right mentality - "Don't get hit". Because you really can't, and I'd wager the game would be fairly difficult for newcomers to the series and that sort of combat system.

pls don't kill me Splintert for using your saying

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the combat a lot and I loved the world and the story even more. Just felt they lost what was there in the earlier levels, combat wise - by the Red Baron quest, the difficulty dropped considerably into a... Uh. I guess punishment system? It felt more like it was punishing you for missteps rather than offering an actual challenge, generally. Though I presume mods might deal with this issue in their own way, but I've yet to get the DLC and try any mods out.

Likewise, DS2 had that punishing vibe for me after Heide's. The dudes that sat up in trees & on ledges in Huntsman Copse before the chariot boss, the kamikaze enemies in the merchant's tower in Lost Bastille, stuff like that. The tactics are the same, but after a point it's just less forgiving. It wasn't like DS1, where the first example to come to mind is the boar in Undead Burg vs. the boar in Duke's Archives. The first one is scary because when you first see him you're still new to the game and hits hard & fast. The second one is scary because you might be Mr. Tough Guy by then but you have to fight a big charging enemy in a narrow hallway.

I think the problem in that regard with Witcher 3 is that they have these monsters that are fast and strong and incredibly dangerous all the way up until you're actually fighting them, when you can just circle strafe and CC all of them. It needs something to force alternative tactics. I know I can hit a monster X amount of times before it automatically counter-attacks or dodges, it will always do so on the X+1 attack, so I just attack X amount of times and then wait. After a couple seconds its counter has restarted so I can attack it X more times. It's also generally too simple to avoid being hit, with sidesteps or rolling away, and this often isn't the case in Dark Souls where enemy attacks usually cover more area & thus force better positioning. In W3 you usually have plenty of room to fight in, so you don't have to worry about rolling off ledges or into a corner. Plus, with how quickly and fluidly you move it's easy to fix the positioning mistakes you might make. There are very few environmental hazards or constraints placed on you in W3, and the few that do exist are flammable gas or minor damage-over-time effects.

Olgierd von Everec, holy ****.  :eek:

Still gasping for breath after that duel. Damn "Hearts of Stone" is forming up the one of my favorite parts of the game.
The part, where Olgierd starts clapping after being decapitated,  blew my mind.  :razz:
Been playing over 100 hours and I still haven't even finished the main campaign. Had to take a break from it and try the first expansion. :grin:

Oh definitely, I love the Hearts of Stone story for all the unique interesting bits it provides. It's like reading one of the more fascinating Witcher short stories comparing to the main plot.

Kamos32 said:
Oh definitely, I love the Hearts of Stone story for all the unique interesting bits it provides. It's like reading one of the more fascinating Witcher short stories comparing to the main plot.
Main plot was the weakest part of the game in my opinion. The story was just too personel and without any angle to it, it was basically just a father trying to protect his daughter. There weren't many political outcomes as there had been in Witcher 2 and Eredin was just a "Hah, now I'm going to kill you!" type of antagonist, not interesting at all.

I concur with that sentiment. Plus, vanilla's main plot was too urgent and conflicted heavily with the open world setting.

I'm yet to play the expansion(s). Hope they take 'em more in the direction of the plot of the second installment.

I think both expansions had a much better main quest, and specially Blood and Wine which is the best IMO.

The normal game main quest was great too but IMO the major mistake from the main game was the Reason of State questline and Dikstra/Vernon Roche and etc.

Basically Dikstra in the books, after capturing Geralt and having a dozen soldiers with him, ends up with most of his soldiers dead and himself not managing to walk as Geralt breaks free and goes on a rampage, then Geralt goes back to Thanedd and him alone kills some 14 scoia'tael elves in a row.

BUT in the game, in the end after murdering Radovid, Dikstra just goes on and tries to assassinate Vernon and Thaler with some 5 dudes and no real plan while Geralt is there..... Which Dikstra absolutely should know Geralt was bro with vernon roche specially.

Kamos32 said:
There weren't many political outcomes as there had been in Witcher 2 and Eredin was just a "Hah, now I'm going to kill you!" type of antagonist, not interesting at all.

I really didn't like how the Nilfgaardians were handled in this game. I was especially irked at the part where Geralt goes to the royal palace to ask for help, and Emhyr demands that if a battalion of Nilfgaardians is to be present at Kaer Morhen, they would be lead by General Voorhis. But no matter what dialogue option I'd choose, Geralt declines the offer. After spending time getting familiar with Voorhis' character, I almost felt like there was some Nilfgaardian content cut from the game.

What wasn't cut were the passing remarks Voorhis makes about how he's gonna bang Ciri if/when she becomes empress. Well, it's implied, but there you are. Also, Geralt/Vesimir talk in the beginning of the game about holing up in Kaer Morhen after they find Yenn, hiding themselves from the Nilfgaardians. The impression is that they don't want to give away the location of their winter hold, and with Voorhis being the political schemer he is I doubt Geralt would trust him with that information even given the circumstances.

Orion said:
What wasn't cut were the passing remarks Voorhis makes about how he's gonna bang Ciri if/when she becomes empress. Well, it's implied, but there you are. Also, Geralt/Vesimir talk in the beginning of the game about holing up in Kaer Morhen after they find Yenn, hiding themselves from the Nilfgaardians. The impression is that they don't want to give away the location of their winter hold, and with Voorhis being the political schemer he is I doubt Geralt would trust him with that information even given the circumstances.

In the lore after the Witcher games (They're set in a period which the books never had) Voorhis becomes Emperor - For a little bit.

Bottom line is, never trust Nilfgaardian's.

So I just bought the Complete Edition and am going to start playing once my new computer ships. Anyone able to recommend any good mods, or should I just go straight in to vanilla?

Back
Top Bottom