aclu-colec_doc_priv_est60_16.jpg

FOOD
POTTAGE
images
CHICKPEAS AND SAUSAGE
341.jpg
OLIVE OIL
offsite

Unfortunately, I wanted to contribute to this discussion by adding historical information, artwork and others from the 5th century, but the mods have considered it "spam" because it is related to a game not done by Taleworlds.

Razzoriel said:
Unfortunately, I wanted to contribute to this discussion by adding historical information, artwork and others from the 5th century, but the mods have considered it "spam" because it is related to a game not done by Taleworlds.
Not really no, you just came in and said they are a faction in the game and links to the game and the steamgroup.  Well that's all fine in the proper area, Off-Topic/Other Games section as was recommended.  Is there anything from historical about the Visigoths you'd like to discuss, like a question of are things in that game about the Visigoths historical?

Discuss...

Also your post about your post is also off-topic here.  :facepalm:

And so I'm on-topic, I've heard of the Visigoths and haven't studied them much.  Glad this thread is here for my education.

Yes, I've linked extensive knowledge about the Visigoths, which was in the website in question.

The term "Visigoths" refers to the branch of nomadic tribes referred collectively as "Goths". The prefix "Vesi" appeared when the Gothic king Alaric I amassed a federate army (foederati) in the eastern Balkans, with warriors of different origins. More ancient Gothic tribes, such as the Tervingi, the Gretheungi and even other non-gothic warriors joined the great Gothic War in 376 through this army confederation. "Vesi" means 'Visigoth' in Latin, and ever since stayed as the official nomenclature for the tribe.

Since that year, the Visigoths ran multiple successful military campaigns and raids, managing to sack Athens in 395 and even Rome itself in 410, and brought raids in the regions between both Eastern and Western Roman Empire. The Romans managed to make relative peace with the Visigoths by handing them territories in the region, which in turn would later on be occupied by the Ostrogoths. With the riches from plundering the largest, richest city of the world, the Visigoths had everything they ever needed to settle.

The actual settlement in southwestern modern France started when the Western Roman Empire enlisted the help of king Alaric I to drive away the Suebi, Alans and Vandals from Hispania. In exchange for driving them away, in 418 the Western Roman Emperor, Honorius, promised them the region of Gallia Aquitania. Their campaign was a military success, but the tribes were not eliminated; the Suebi were driven further away to modern Portugal, the Alans were partially subjulgated and most of them escaped with the Vandals to northern Africa (the ones that stayed remained as foederati of the Roman Empire), but a betrayal and a further massacre of Visigoths under Roman command led to the Sack of Rome.

After the settling begun, the great Battle of the Chalóns showed the military importance of the Visigoths; their alliance with the Roman Empire, though frail and most of times more of a pact of mutual help because of the Empire's need of foederati troops for military purposes, proved to be crucial to the hollow, phyrric victory against the Huns led by Attila.

There ya go, you knew little about them, know you know a little more.

Informative.  Well I mean outside of being copy and pasted for the game's website...but still informative I guess?  How about just discussing the Visigoths without the game...or head over to the off-topic and discuss the game there with said discussion potentially including the Visigoths?

Thanks

I've removed all parts that were related to the game, keeping only informations regarding the historical context of the tribe. I'm discussing here the Visigoths.

The artwork posted in this forum sometimes refer to some tribesmen as Visigoths, though they are clearly Frankish (the Francisca, or throwing axes, were their weapon of choice, so to speak). It's very hard to nail them as one or another, though, because most of the equipment they wore and used were very similar to each other.

Back
Top Bottom