The Project, A Moss Adventure

Users who are viewing this thread

I don't really understand the scope of your ailment and I don't know to what extend you require the case to be sealed or what your price range is.  That being said, have you seen Zalman's fanless cases?

Here's the 400W version:
http://www.zalman.com/ENG/product/Product_Read.asp?Idx=116
A quick shopping.google search for "Zalman TNN" reveals $945.00 US as the lowest price.

The 350W version,
http://www.zalman.com/ENG/product/Product_Read.asp?idx=186
starts around $600 US

Here's a video review for the Zalman TNN 300:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YONoHjJ6iRw

edit: corrected the wattages.  Also the TNN 300 is designed for microATX motherboards.  Both models are pretty hardware restrictive.

Have you thought about using a projector instead of a monitor? I imagine it would emit less dust than a monitor. The prices aren't that much better but apparently some low end ones can be had for 400-500. Maybe cheaper second hand.

The problem is that my room is pretty damn tiny, and with only one way for air to get in/out. And even the smallest amount of heated plastic is an issue. Stripping everything back, buying a ridiculously huge monitor, so I don't have to use it near me, and using a wireless keyboard and mouse is an idea, but the problem is that the furthest I can get away is around 2.5-3 metres, with my back to the door. And even then on a windy day, being on the fourth floor I get a lot of airflow into the room, which is kind of why I choose this particular room, but with that setup I'd be hosed, as it'd just blow the plastic funk towards me. That and the hundreds of dollars I'd have to spend on a monitor big enough to use from the opposite end of a room.
If you would leave your window and door open you could sit with your back at the window and put the projector between you and the door so it would blow away from you.

Also, as cool as a fishtank pc is, couldn't you just get one of those small thin client pcs?
and then connect to your real pc which would be somewhere else?

Ambitious project. Good luck with it.

Good luck with your project, sad to hear about your condition.

Inspiration maybe?
http://www.sweclockers.com/imagebank/200711/Ryskmodd001.jpg

Maybe a bit too much though.

Maybe...

Archonsod said:
You can cover all of that with some creative wiring :razz:
That is the plan.

Xlacier said:
That being said, have you seen Zalman's fanless cases?
They'd be good, unfortunately the only distribuer in Australia that stocks things from Zalman only stocks... two parts. Specifically heat pipes and a PSU. :neutral:

MountainBlade said:
If you would leave your window and door open you could sit with your back at the window and put the projector between you and the door so it would blow away from you.
Having my door open whenever I used the computer wouldn't be all that practicle, seeing as it opens onto the hallway. And even though it probably wouldn't be as bad I'd still get the same problems with a projector that I'd get with a monitor, that is heated plastic.

MountainBlade said:
Also, as cool as a fishtank pc is, couldn't you just get one of those small thin client pcs?
and then connect to your real pc which would be somewhere else?

Ambitious project. Good luck with it.
The problem is that I wouldn't have anywhere to put my PC for the client to link to, altough that would have been the perfect plan if I'd lived anywhere but a tiny one room unit in on campus accomodation. And thanks, even if I do fail miserably at least it's going to be fun/entertaining.

Sorkenlol said:
Inspiration maybe?
http://www.sweclockers.com/imagebank/200711/Ryskmodd001.jpg
:shock:
So cool. So very cool.

Moss said:
Or you know, to press the power button. :wink:

You don't ever have to press the power button, just enable keyboard button pressing to start the PC in your BIOS. :wink:

You know, everytime someone reminds me of how little I know, I feel a little less comfortable with this job. :razz:

I think I'd still make a power button though, for old schools sake. :wink:

A reset button would be more useful than a power button. You still need that once in a while.

Are you going to use the same horse laxative they used in the link?

I think I found one where thery used chip oil, but it kind of sucked.

Chip oil would be vegetable oil. Considering that you'd have to replace it every month or so when it wen't rancid that might not be the greatest idea.

I'll be using the a mineral oil, possibly the same type used in that one, but I guess I'll just see what's available.

Moss said:
The problem is that I wouldn't have anywhere to put my PC for the client to link to, altough that would have been the perfect plan if I'd lived anywhere but a tiny one room unit in on campus accomodation.
Can't you ask the people at campus to stick your comp in a server room and hook it up to the school network? They might not be too happy about it but if your health is involved...

MountainBlade said:
Moss said:
The problem is that I wouldn't have anywhere to put my PC for the client to link to, altough that would have been the perfect plan if I'd lived anywhere but a tiny one room unit in on campus accomodation.
Can't you ask the people at campus to stick your comp in a server room and hook it up to the school network? They might not be too happy about it but if your health is involved...

Yeah. Tell them it's work related, and they should have no problem with it. If they do, just tell them that if they don't put one in there, you'll bleed all over them:razz:

The problem with a client though is finding one with a DVD drive, probably the closest place that has a network plug I could connect my computer to, that isn't someone elses room, is the computer room in central block. Four floors down and fifty metres away to put in a DVD isn't exactly the simplest solution.

The other aspect is cost, I probably should have mentioned this earlier, but I'm using a laptop at the moment so either way I'd need to put together a new PC. Buying a client alone and using it with an existing PC would be cheaper, but seeing as I need a new PC anyway it turns out to be a lot more expensive.

Not to mention that I'd still have to figure out a way to seal up the client and the monitor.

AGH! Must... study...

Client is a bit pointless unless you happen to have a server lying around to connect it to. They're not just a cable extension, nothing you can buy on a desktop is going to be capable of running a thin client at anything approaching usable performance :lol:

Probably aluminium, easier to work with, and soldering rather than glueing.

I'll throw up another update in a few weeks after my exams are done and I have a chance to get started on this thing.

Update:
There is no update. :razz:

Unfortunately it's been sidelined in favour of a different idiotic project, I'm tampering with a $1700 belt mounted positive atmosphere respirator system. Voided warranties for the win! It's not as good as not having to use a respirator at all, but it's a hell of a lot better than what I've got now and should let me use my laptop without any troubles, as well as using public transport, attending labs at my uni, playing pool in the hall's bar, working and other such awesome stuff.

Hopefully I should have it up and running in a fortnight, so I can risk the fourteen hour train trip home for Christmas.

Anyway, I've done a little work on the design for the case, compensating for whicking, etc, and depending on what the exchange rate is like next year I'll probably get a company in the U.S to make the case for me and just pick up the parts on the cheap at the computer fairs in Canberra.

What could possibly go wrong? :lol:

Aendor said:
And how did your exams go?
Well... lets just say, at least I didn't fail. I'll take that. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom