The official cataphract thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Calous said:
Yep, i made it and he already has it.  :wink:

I agree the 2 hander would be great, but pretty sure I explained to you the descrepency regarding the animation on horse, and how the ones on foot are converted too.

i'll have to do some browsing in the forge to see if I can find a proper way to add animation for just the horseback, or swap the ones for foot for a new one.

Outlawed said:
Horse Armor:
The horses heads, and entire bodies, were covered by thick plates (like the texture of the ones you have but more head armor perhaps?

Not always. These aren't parthian cataphracts gilded head to toe, covering even their legs, this is a Successor representation of a heavily armor man an rider, in an early stage of cataphract evolution.

I'm sure this is not the only mod that favor's that approach to the cata-horse.

Calous said:
Also, after seeing the video, maybe increase the charge damage of the horses?

Horse stats are fine as they are. I have no intention of changing them back to the rediculously overpowered native stats.

Easy easy, horse charge damage is fine for me! that was Outlawed. I have to send you the modified items_kinds1.txt, like i told you in the PM, and try it.

The german pike is supposed to be used as 2h or 1h?

Calous said:
Easy easy, horse charge damage is fine for me! that was Outlawed. I have to send you the modified items_kinds1.txt, like i told you in the PM, and try it.

Oops, misquote :smile:

Its best to not look at working on that. Any changes I do to the python are going to overwrite work done to txt files.

Thats something that can be looked at for just before release when everything is done. Maybe though then I might have it resolved through modding .py

Calous said:
The german pike is supposed to be used as 2h or 1h?

Yes.

Is it possible to change the cavalry AI behaviour? I would not like my cataphracts to crash into enemy lines, coming to hold right inside the bulk and consequently get clubbed to death, but just riding through there while secondarily stabbing a little, then turn around and rush once more. This way the combined horse charge dmg is what makes up for the damage mainly.

Any hope?

Jurikles said:
Is it possible to change the cavalry AI behaviour? I would not like my cataphracts to crash into enemy lines, coming to hold right inside the bulk and consequently get clubbed to death, but just riding through there while secondarily stabbing a little, then turn around and rush once more. This way the combined horse charge dmg is what makes up for the damage mainly.

Any hope?

Try doing this.

1. Press 4.
2. Press F2.
3. Get close to enemy.
4. Press F3.
5. Ride through the enemy line.
6. Press F2 2/3 times.
7. Press F1.
8. Get close the the enemy.
9. Press F3.
10. Repeat.

They are called commands. Use them lol.
They wont charge repeatedly unless you order them to.

I know they exist and how to use them properly. However a general would tell his men how to behave in general before the battle, not order every single step on the battlefield himself.

Since F4 is if i recall correctly dismount horses, i think you mean f3. That doesnt work so well because they still stop or slow speed to attack the enemy with their weapon. I want them to simply ride over them in formation while stabbing a little around, if at all. The damage shall come from the horses trampling, yknowhatimsayin'?

There might be something possible with formations, since they "lock" the bot-positions. Never tried it with cavalry though. I dont remember if it wasnt possible in 0.98 or if i just never had any bigger cav formations with me. i think both.

Foxyman's form ranks have cav crash through without stopping then turn around for another pass.  And no cav every leave the formation. It's pretty sweet.

I stand corrected. It is F3. But you get what I'm saying lol. Also, did generals tell their troops EXACTLY what to do before a battle?
I'm sure leading a charge is on the spot, "CHARGE" lol.

I agree with jurikles, since when you say charge your cavarly charge the nearer of the enemy soldiers, instead of charging the enemy line, so its like a bunch of cavs that charge only one man, then try to charge the rest of the line but they are too slow, so they suck at life and then in casualities you got 27 dead cataphracts just because of that stupid error.

Outlawed said:
I stand corrected. It is F3. But you get what I'm saying lol. Also, did generals tell their troops EXACTLY what to do before a battle?

You would tell your men before battle that by charge you want them to run over and through the enemy, then return and charge again. Then Repeat.

So all you have to do is give the order once you want them to begin.

You would not tell them

"Charge!"
"Get out of the crowd!"
"Turn around!"
"Get into the crowd again"
"Move your right arm in order to swing the sword!"

Got my point?

Jurikles said:
Outlawed said:

You would tell your men before battle that by charge you want them to run over and through the enemy, then return and charge again. Then Repeat.

You would not tell them

"Charge!"
"Get out of the crowd!"
"Turn around!"

Got my point?

Exactly! that is precisely what the parthians did to finish off Crassus's decimated legionairs so that is what should happen here

also any one notice that AI controlled cav hardly EVER use couch lance?

Jurikles said:
Outlawed said:

You would not tell them

"Charge!"
"Get out of the crowd!"
"Turn around!"

Got my point?
And then your dudes fall off their horses anyway because you didn't tell them to breathe.

Back
Top Bottom