The Last Days v2.4 (for .808) ---Next Release Date Unknown!

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty busy myself (again :razz:) at the moment, but I hope to have some free time over the next week. We do keep the graphics, sound and music work going as much as possible. even if AW is away. Let's hope he'll be back soon because he's the one who puts it all together.

I see. That's not very good.

He should upload the source to MBrepository (or somewhere) and password it, so that it does not get lost. That's what I would do. Then he could pass on the password to someone else.

Chel said:
I see. That's not very good.

He should upload the source to MBrepository (or somewhere) and password it, so that it does not get lost. That's what I would do. Then he could pass on the password to someone else.

well, I suggested such a thing before, but nobody expected anything to happen. Hopefully he's just fine.

its the most worrying thing about team mods.  What if someone drops out, taking months of work with them, and the rest of the team have only partial (or non-existant) copies...

What we really need is a method of back-compiling the text files to python.

I know that we would be able to resurrect a lot of older work, done in the U.E. for example, with that tool.

I guess it would be a bit of a hot potato, as it would instantly open-source every mod...

I guess the problem is, not everybody wants to share the models/textures/scripts that they spent hours working on for free. Either that, or their all afraid that nobody credits them for their work.

I have no issue with open-sourcing, but that's because I haven't made any innovative scripts, really.

Alright. First, get the M&B .808 version (http://www.taleworlds.com/download/mountandblade_0808_setup.exe) in case you haven't. Install that to a seperate location than your 1.010 version (Call it something like M&B80:cool:.

Then, simply download the TLD mod, and install it to that folder.

Amman de Stazia said:
its the most worrying thing about team mods.  What if someone drops out, taking months of work with them, and the rest of the team have only partial (or non-existant) copies...

What we really need is a method of back-compiling the text files to python.

I know that we would be able to resurrect a lot of older work, done in the U.E. for example, with that tool.

I guess it would be a bit of a hot potato, as it would instantly open-source every mod...

What team mods REALLY need is Subversion (SVN). A code version control system. People have an account and thus access to the code base and can save back his changes. I guess you don't use SVN?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subversion_(software)

I think sourceforge provides subversion repositories... http://apps.sourceforge.net/trac/sourceforge/wiki/What%20is%20SourceForge.net?
But most probably I'm telling you guys things you already know? :smile:

I'm sure most mod teams use SVN, I don't see why they wouldn't, it's not hard to set up. Hopefully AW is just busy and not dead because I'm kinda sick of lugging a copy of version .808 around with me.

Pellidon said:
I'm sure most mod teams use SVN, I don't see why they wouldn't, it's not hard to set up. Hopefully AW is just busy and not dead because I'm kinda sick of lugging a copy of version .808 around with me.

If they did they had the code. :wink:
Damn I finally tried TLD for 0.808 but it crashes when I meet the old man in the beginning.

Ancientwanker was always very secretive about his code bits; I believe that was one of the aspects about modding which would keep him motivated, so WTF, let him have it his way, that's how we always dealt with it, and it always worked so far...

Also, he always said: I'll let it go opensource whenever I'm done with it. Nothing wrong about that as I see it. And he always looked like the kind of person who just wouldn't quit without a word, and I still see him like that kind of guy.

I also see him as one of the alltime greatest modders in the M&B community, and I'd hate to loose him as the TLD mod leader.

Whatever is keeping him from being active right now, I believe there must be a good reason behind it. I do hope whatever is keeping him away from the (mod and) forums at the moment, will come to an end, and I hope to see him back in business as soon as possible.

Whenever (and if), we face the worst scenario, I do hope we can find someone inside the M&B community who can help us finishing this project.. Until then (and I don't think we're there yet), we'll just keep things rolling and hope for the best.

That's it :smile:

Valarauko said:
Damn I finally tried TLD for 0.808 but it crashes when I meet the old man in the beginning.

Post your comp specs and OS here:

http://mbx.streetofeyes.com/index.php?topic=902.0

I'll do my best to help you out, but not here :wink:

I imagine that AW is at the point where he's too busy with work, relationships, and real life to take any significant amount of time to sit down and work on coding.  I mean, with the massive amount of work he has to do, looking at it as a whole can be pretty overwhelming and discouraging.  The key is just to do it piece by piece, which I know is difficult for most people.  I, for one, can't write a paper unless I can motivate myself to sit down and do it all at once, which usually involves waiting until the last possible minute as my motivation.  Anyway, I hope he one day opens up M&B and plays some TLD.  I know that was enough to get me excited about the game again, and it very well may be enough incentive to get him back into modding form.

I know I'm speculating, and he very well may be modding right now, but I can totally understand if he isn't.

@Llew2

Thanks for the welcome back, and I genuinely appreciate you avoiding the Jerky impersonation.

-Grocat the Hopeful Yet Skeptical

Elenmmare said:
Alright. First, get the M&B .808 version (http://www.taleworlds.com/download/mountandblade_0808_setup.exe) in case you haven't. Install that to a seperate location than your 1.010 version (Call it something like M&B80:cool:.

Then, simply download the TLD mod, and install it to that folder.
Thanks a lot  :grin:

Elenmmare said:
I have no issue with open-sourcing, but that's because I haven't made any innovative scripts, really.

Nor do we - It's actually flattering, because it means that someone (or a team) have come to the conclusion that your work is better than anything they could make.

Some people want to retain 'exclusive' features in their mod, like their mod is the only one with a functional war system, for example....

Which is fair enough, if all mods incorporated all the good / interesting code, then you'd have one mod, with lots and lots of eye-candy reskins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom