The greatest drinkers in the world : Through ages 'till the present

Which,in your opinion, is the greatest drinking nation in the world?

• Danes

Votes: 5 5.9%
  • Serbs

Votes: 4 4.7%
  • Swedes

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Irish

Votes: 19 22.4%
  • Russians

Votes: 15 17.6%
  • Englishmen

Votes: 14 16.5%
  • Germans

• Finnish

Votes: 9 10.6%
  • Belgians

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Polish

• Canadians

• Americans

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Spanish

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mexicans

• Italians

• Australians

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Users who are viewing this thread

You just have to find the right beer. Stuff that flaunts being American like Coors or Bud is generally crap. Companies that advertise more about their beer than their country tend to be better, like Samuel Adams. That said, I still prefer Guinness, Sapporo, and Corona to most beers.

And as an Irish, Scottish, and German mix, I've probably got a measurable blood alcohol content at all times, even when I'm not drinking. :razz:

Aye I knew the Irish would be first for now. Guinness is still my favourite stout and my alcoholic drink.

Also do you guys pour the guinness properly or just drink it as soon as you pour it? In Dublin pubs they pour it 3/4 full, let it settle then pour the rest and let it settle again. It takes an age to get your drink and you never pay the barman beofre he gives you the pint because they would "accidentally" forget about you if you pay before he starts pouring. Pouring it properly actually gets rid of alot of its bitterness and makes it taste like heaven for me.

Not a huge fan of Guinness on draught (The foamy stuff, blaugh!), much prefer the original and foreign extra stuff.

For the most part though I just stick to whatever good bitter is on tap in the pubs I go to, Landlord, London pride that sort of stuff, with the occasional pint of something else to break up the pattern.

If you like stout though I would suggest you try out some Fullers London Porter, great stuff and easy to come by, but make sure you drink it warm! (for the record, Stout and Porter are basically the same)

Justiciar said:
I voted Polish out of personal experience. I've managed to drink a whole family of seasoned Irish drinkers under the table, to my credit (although they barely had half a hang-over between them whilst I was rolling around straining to see the inside of my skull). Poles, on the other hand.. straight vodka by the bucket and they're barely blinking. Terrifying.

Half of a bucket -some dancing- second half of a bucket. That how it goes. And after second bucket it goes straight to singing old Ukrainian songs...

...altough I can assure you that not even one of them will know Ukrainian.

Hyperion said:
With enough alcohol, I could fluently speak German.
And probably Finnish and Hungarian too.
I'm sure that with enough alcohol all of us could master every African dialect...And start speaking fluent Mandarin-Chinese...  :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom