The Four Religions in Brytenwalda

Users who are viewing this thread

Irish kingdoms - celt christianity
Mierce and Lindisware - pagan, germanic gods.
Welsh kingdoms, Pengwern and Dunmonia -celt christianity
Pictish - pictish interpretation of christianity
Centware and rest of invasors kingdoms - Catholic christianity

Idibil said:
....in Britannia and Hibernnia, old celtic gods was near to or leave yet.
Are there any villages, say perhaps, in the deep corners of Wales that follow the old celtic religion?

Idibil said:
Mierce and Lindisware - pagan, germanic gods.
Wow. So I guess it didn't take long after the Germanic invaders arrived for Christianity to come swooping in, eh?
Well, now that I think about, Penda is supposed to become the last of the Pagan Saxon kings, is he not?

Aethel said:
Well, now that I think about, Penda is supposed to become the last of the Pagan Saxon kings, is he not?
Yes (although I think he was Angle, if that distinction matters).

Until I began working on this mod I also thought Christianity came much later, like 9-10th. century or so.

I think he was Angle, if that distinction matters

There are theories that say that he can be briton or of briton mother because he was ally more of Penwern and Briton kingdoms and enemy of angle and saxon kingdoms  :grin:

extension of the two great monotheistic religions (Christianity and Islam) at breakneck speed in a time when transportation had nothing to do with now is a paradigm of history  :grin:

Are there any villages, say perhaps, in the deep corners of Wales that follow the old celtic religion?

I'm afraid not, but you can turn them back into pagan

how come then in ireland, I read that the villages are pagan however my faith is hated? my faith being old celtic gods that is. 

But dont you think that some villages should be pagan still? I think that the lords where converting to christianity but commoners still believed in the old gods even till late medieval times in some parts of europe.

It is difficult know it. We are in VII century, it would be more easy in previus centuries, but in this time I think that Ireland and Britannia were christian. Maybe Morcant or some historian of religions can provide more data

for example there were some pagan movements even in the beginning of XI century in Poland and even an uprising in one of the regions in 1038. So I guess that common peoples were worshipping the old gods long after the official establishment of christianity.

Vagn said:
for example there were some pagan movements even in the beginning of XI century in Poland and even an uprising in one of the regions in 1038. So I guess that common peoples were worshipping the old gods long after the official establishment of christianity.

But it look very residual.

However, in game you have option of do them pagans  :grin:

Christianity arrived during the Vth century successfully, which means they tried to convert people even before that (which means a bit earlier in Britannia).

However my character is also a worshipper of pagan celtic gods, and I've found no village or city which has the same faith as me.

Where is that temple of Celtic Gods?

Idibil said:
extension of the two great monotheistic religions (Christianity and Islam) at breakneck speed in a time when transportation had nothing to do with now is a paradigm of history  :grin:

Ah, that's right. All the Umayyad invasions in south, leading to the Muslim invasion of France. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Tours)
I guess I didn't really think about how Christianity was basically doing the same thing in Europe. (Just less violent I suppose)

pict lands also beeing christian at that time?
i know about some monasteries on the west coast of scotland in the 6th century (e.g. Iona), where missionaries started to convert "scotland" from the west. but as far as i know, the eastern parts of (at that time) "pictland" were converted at the late 8th or early 9th century, as at this point of time "the scots" in fact took over the northern part of the british isle respectively united with the picts under one king.

but maybe im wrong. however, it would be just great if there are some celtic gods refuges left somewhere.
huuaah.

How many converts do you need in a settlement before you stop losing relation with them?
I converted my town to the Germanic gods and I have 120 ish converts, but I still lose relation with them occasionally.

Thorgil said:
i know about some monasteries on the west coast of scotland in the 6th century (e.g. Iona), where missionaries started to convert "scotland" from the west. but as far as i know, the eastern parts of (at that time) "pictland" were converted at the late 8th or early 9th century, as at this point of time "the scots" in fact took over the northern part of the british isle respectively united with the picts under one king.

but maybe im wrong. however, it would be just great if there are some celtic gods refuges left somewhere.
huuaah.

Most sources claim Pictland was converted in the 400s by St Ninian, and we do have the remains of some early monasteries in Pictland like Portmahomack. However, the life of St Columba claims that at least some of Pictland was still pagan in the 560s. Personally I would have the Picts as a bit of a mixture, with the nobles being Christian but the villages still largely pagan, but accepting of Christianity.

Dent said:
How many converts do you need in a settlement before you stop losing relation with them?
I converted my town to the Germanic gods and I have 120 ish converts, but I still lose relation with them occasionally.

You can lose relation for other factors too, relation, kill lords, taxes, and others effects.

Spongly said:
Thorgil said:

huuaah.

Most sources claim Pictland was converted in the 400s by St Ninian, and we do have the remains of some early monasteries in Pictland like Portmahomack. However, the life of St Columba claims that at least some of Pictland was still pagan in the 560s. Personally I would have the Picts as a bit of a mixture, with the nobles being Christian but the villages still largely pagan, but accepting of Christianity.

In the seventh century it seems that Christianity pervaded the life of the Picts, who had assumed mixing it with their own traditional beliefs. Which resulted in a particularly Christianity, where such crosses were not used.

For us not to complicate the player, we preferred to do Pictland Christian and not create a new religion.

Back
Top Bottom