The community deserves better

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Refleax said:
Hello Everyone,

In light of recent comments and opinions voiced by some of the community, we feel its best to restate the position of FSE in relation to the community and the official servers. The servers which we maintain are done so on a voluntary basis at private expense for the benefit of the public players for the sake of community, we try to host servers that are open to all and and are fun to play on, to the best of our ability.

Now, the difficulty of maintaining these servers is obvious and despite our efforts, there will be failures on the part of the admin team and the owners. As a game development company we have overstepped ourselves when dealing with the community. To that end, we will be making certain changes in regards how FSE deals with the community:

1. FSE will be taking a step back from community altering decisions. In our pursuit of stopping an argument that had been made three times over the possession of the 51st name we rashly decided to remove the object that was contested, instead of punishing the ones who were breaking forum policy. Inadvertently we managed to punish the entire community by removing something that rightfully should have been theirs. For this, we apologize, and will now rectify. We will no longer withhold  any regiment number, even if it proves a source of great controversy and fighting. We will no longer involve ourselves in this process. As such we will return it to the last community member that had possession of said regiment name.

2. Now, even though we are from now going to step back from these kind of decisions and loosen the grip we try to have over the community, there may be a time in the future when such decisions may need to be made. But it will no longer only be in our hands, instead If such a time comes, we will need a base of respected players who can give an informed opinion on such decisions, before we make them. Thus, we will be instituting a new group of players on our forums, the NW Community Representatives. They will be nominated by the community, and will have access to a new forum board area. If FSE sees a need to make a community altering decision, we will first post the proposal of such in this area, in order to gain necessary community feedback so as to make an informed decision. This place will be carefully watched Their opinions will guide our policy, and allow the community a voice to the FSE management.

We will be setting up the Community Representative Process shortly. I look forward to serious dialogue taking place, with real solutions being found with help from both the administration and the community.

Well Refleax's post over there is certainly a step in the right direction but that is all it is. I think we all want to hear directly from Vincenzo not Refleax, though I have no grievances with him.

Oh hey Refleax :wink:

Not only that, that isn't really enough done IMO, kitty will still be an administrator, and this new elective representative thing will be exactly like the Champions Of Europe thread turned out, who can get the most friends to vote for them, I still think this is too little too late, more must be done IMO.

Hatake said:
Not only that, that isn't really enough done IMO, kitty will still be an administrator, and this new elective representative thing will be exactly like the Champions Of Europe thread turned out, who can get the most friends to vote for them, I still think this is too little too late, more must be done IMO.
Too late Hatake, people are appeased with the idea of another popularity contest.

Captured Joe said:
So Vince appointed his girlfriend as admin? Only thing I can say: I can't blame him. :lol:

Why it was at first amusing, it's completely unacceptable, and very disrespectful towards admins who have earned their place. And she wasn't a server admin, she was basically highest boss.

As an outsider more or less who didn't get into this until late MM it seems to me that the communities relationship with itself and the creators of this DLC has always been a little well.

Full of itself.

On one hand, Hekko does have a point. Nepotism is always a big no no. The stuff about the 51st though? silly. All of it. Embarassingly silly. The real victims are the long dead men of that actual regiment in real life. You can't really moderate what people do and call themselves over the internet like some of the sillier rules of this communities line battle events.

I sort of feel for Vince though while I also question his motives. This community is too diverse yet fragmented enough to be utterly satisifed.

Over the past year of watching from the side lines I've come to the conclusion this community hates balance but loves realism, loves realism but hates balance wants more content but also wants more support. Always somebody in the background stamping their feet angry in these forums with other people stamping their feet back. This atmosphere alone has made myself incredibly weary in using said forums for anything but event organisation.

FSE is only four guys and a handful of forums representives who IMO have bitten off more than they could chew with starting Battlecry way too early with this DLCs post release development. Though reading these forums and the way some community members argued and treated each other made me hesitant in browsing them.

FSE developers and the community itself both need to be more open, mature and informative about things.

SeanBeansShako said:
As an outsider more or less who didn't get into this until late MM it seems to me that the communities relationship with itself and the creators of this DLC has always been a little well.

Full of itself.

On one hand, Hekko does have a point. Nepotism is always a big no no. The stuff about the 51st though? silly. All of it. Embarassingly silly. The real victims are the long dead men of that actual regiment in real life. You can't really moderate what people do and call themselves over the internet like some of the sillier rules of this communities line battle events.

I sort of feel for Vince though while I also question his motives. This community is too diverse yet fragmented enough to be utterly satisifed.

Over the past year of watching from the side lines I've come to the conclusion this community hates balance but loves realism, loves realism but hates balance wants more content but also wants more support. Always somebody in the background stamping their feet angry in these forums with other people stamping their feet back. This atmosphere alone has made myself incredibly weary in using said forums for anything but event organisation.

FSE is only four guys and a handful of forums representives who IMO have bitten off more than they could chew with starting Battlecry way too early with this DLCs post release development. Though reading these forums and the way some community members argued and treated each other made me hesitant in browsing them.

FSE developers and the community itself both need to be more open, mature and informative about things.

Here, here!

Here's hoping that the developers can keep the community more informed and involved during the appointment of new server admins.

Viktor 90th said:
With Respect Community elected admins are not going to change anything.

We wanted change, not a parliament.
Hopefully this one step will lead to more constructive steps in the future. Steps are steps are gradual. No one can magically appear somewhere. You have to walk there, step by step.

McEwanMaster77 said:
Viktor 90th said:
With Respect Community elected admins are not going to change anything.

We wanted change, not a parliament.
Hopefully this one step will lead to more constructive steps in the future. Steps are steps are gradual. No one can magically appear somewhere. You have to walk there, step by step.
With FSE it's like dragging a corpse.
Either way, i declare this place my home. and all it's contents.
at least here they actually care what the people who paid for the game think...

The goal of having representatives is to have less daniels and more Hekkos.

If you see what daniels & co has achieved and then look at Hekko's SINGLE post.

You will get what I mean.

Note that I don't mean to say that Hekko is right or wrong, what I mean is that his method is far better and also more appreciated.
Altough that doesn't mean that every server admin should start sprouting up topics and disclose certain information, but in essence the important thing to take note of is to just voice your opinions / worries in a clear, respectable and understandable post.

MaHuD said:
The goal of having representatives is to have less daniels and more Hekkos.

If you see what daniels & co has achieved and then look at Hekko's SINGLE post.

You will get what I mean.

Note that I don't mean to say that Hekko is right or wrong, what I mean is that his method is far better and also more appreciated.
Altough that doesn't mean that every server admin should start sprouting up topics and disclose certain information, but in essence the important thing to take note of is to just voice your opinions / worries in a clear, respectable and understandable post.
Good point, i may have been a little rash. it just feels that the reasons why this sparked up have not been addressed.
I would like to see the people who were banned for nothing unbanned. that's all.

I think I saw craig running around again, and they admitted that they were too harsh on him. (So he must have been unbanned/released from cage)
But some of the others have also been doing stuff on IRC / Steam and who knows where else, and are not just banned for no reason. AFAIK.

23:13 - ****: The community representative thing is utterly useless
23:13 - Blobmania [Redthorn-Dev]: Shush, people aren't meant to be realising that yet
23:13 - ****: so tempted to post this on the thread now
23:14 - ****: ....
23:14 - Blobmania [Redthorn-Dev]: Haha
23:14 - ****: I actually don't give a **** about this. The community is **** from bottom to top with some exceptions

Originally posted by Blade over on FSE, I sincerely hope it's not true.

MaHuD said:
I think I saw craig running around again, and they admitted that they were too harsh on him. (So he must have been unbanned/released from cage)
But some of the others have also been doing stuff on IRC / Steam and who knows where else, and are not just banned for no reason. AFAIK.
Well, we'll see. at least i can hang out here, with you cool kids.
Although it has to be said. that surely banning someone from a forum over a private conversation elsewhere is maybe even more unforgivable.

"Shush" is generally used in jokes. I don't think this is meant to be taken serious.

Viktor 90th said:
MaHuD said:
Well, we'll see. at least i can hang out here, with you cool kids.
Although it has to be said. that surely banning someone from a forum over a private conversation elsewhere is maybe even more unforgivable.
I think it was more of a; "person A) Gets warned on forum, whines some more. - gets muted. Whines some more on the shoutbox - gets banned. Whines some more over steam and irc etc.

That sort of people I don't want in a community to be honest.

James Grant said:
23:13 - ****: The community representative thing is utterly useless
23:13 - Blobmania [Redthorn-Dev]: Shush, people aren't meant to be realising that yet
23:13 - ****: so tempted to post this on the thread now
23:14 - ****: ....
23:14 - Blobmania [Redthorn-Dev]: Haha
23:14 - ****: I actually don't give a **** about this. The community is **** from bottom to top with some exceptions

Originally posted by Blade over on FSE, I sincerely hope it's not true.
I Have to sadly report that blobmania didn't deny it i saw. over there. Anyway Jezza. Looks like your stuck here :razz:

-edit in reply to MaHud
I don't really have any idea of the reasons, but James Grant here, was banned. i cannot remember why but he's been a pretty upstanding member of the community thus far.

I think he was banned by Donald? (And a few days ago already)
Once the system is properly in place, I have an inkling that the representatives will make some comments about Donald.
Perhaps that will help. :smile:

MaHuD said:
I think he was banned by Donald? (And a few days ago already)
Once the system is properly in place, I have an inkling that the representatives will make some comments about Donald.
Perhaps that will help. :smile:
Well, if there is no change all i can do is urge the regiments leader's i know to make the same decision as i and abandon those forums to return here.
Where the administration is better by far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom