The Clothes Thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Arvenski said:
I've been eyeing getting something like this. Thoughts? I'm thinking that I'm not sure how much difference there is in the feel of faux leather compared to real leather, but I like that it's something that looks like a brown leather coat without costing a whole lot of money. I like that it looks cool, but is also practical since it's got a bunch of pockets: now that I carry a wallet, keys, phone, and sometimes a knife, I'm finding myself lacking in places to put stuff where it's not going to be uncomfortable or fall out somewhere. (I'm also thinking that I hope my family wouldn't think that I'd be trying too hard to look cool, but oh well. :razz:)

Do it. I kind of have a thing for that kind of jackets. But it has to be a slim fit on a non-fat man and for Christ's sake don't have an entire hardware shop in your pockets. The lumps and bumps completely ruin the vibe.

The faux-ness may be a too much, but you'll never know until it arrives. There are good faux-leathers out there.

Good reminder about the size/fit. My other light jacket for outside (as opposed to the hoodies I wear around the house) has got loads of excess material, and while it's a definitely a nice jacket, if I were to get a new jacket I'd want it to fit better.

kurczak said:
The faux-ness may be a too much, but you'll never know until it arrives. There are good faux-leathers out there.
I suppose for that kind of money -$60 USD for a small/medium one- it'd be alright to get it as an experiment. If it sucked, that'd be annoying, but it wouldn't cost me as much as some of the other (faux) leather jackets on Amazon would.

Angel Delight said:
Also, it would depend on the other stuff above and below it.
Above it: Just my head. Below it: If I just threw it on over my indoor clothes, corduroy or regular pants. Reds, dark green, navy blue, brown, etc. However, if I was going anywhere or was going to be outside for any length of time, I'd wear some heavier outdoor pants. They're also on my list of new things to get, so I'm not quite sure what I'll end up doing with them. Blue jeans are a possibility if I can ever get some pairs that fit.

Arvenski said:
Above it: Just my head. Below it: If I just threw it on over my indoor clothes, corduroy or regular pants. Reds, dark green, navy blue, brown, etc. However, if I was going anywhere or was going to be outside for any length of time, I'd wear some heavier outdoor pants. They're also on my list of new things to get, so I'm not quite sure what I'll end up doing with them. Blue jeans are a possibility if I can ever get some pairs that fit.
I think she meant that quod licet Jovi, non licet bovi as in in fashion, generally good looking people can pull off things that potato-faces and such can't. That's not hating, facial features are largely something you can't do much about, unless you go full Hollywood, but it's still a fact.

Regarding pants - if you want to do it, do it right. Jeans are pretty much mandatory. The t-shirt underneath should be monochromatic. Can't go wrong with classic black or white. Any patterns are a dangerous ground, not saying they can never work, but why risk it. Unless absolutely necessary don't zip it up, if it's stone cold out there, wear something else. This piece is not for comfort or practicality. It's 100% aesthetics, so approach it as such.

kurczak said:
Arvenski said:
I think she meant that quod licet Jovi, non licet bovi as in in fashion, generally good looking people can pull off things that potato-faces and such can't. That's not hating, facial features are largely something you can't do much about, unless you go full Hollywood, but it's still a fact.
Yeah, I get what you're saying.

Bought an old white tie waistcoat with a piqué front and it is so beautiful! Also, what surprised me is that its button are not sewn on it but the waistcoat rather uses, basically, shirt studs. And it also sports that thing that allows it to be buttoned to trousers that I heard so much about but never actually seen. All in all, a wonderful piece of clothing.

F-V2N.jpg

Bought these for work now that we're allowed to wear whatever boots we want.

https://www.rockyboots.com/sale/rocky-s2v-jungle-boot/FQ0000106.html

They're amazing so far, not sure how well they'll hold in freezing weather, but I got kit for that.

Un criss de Francophone qui vient du Nord said:
Bought these for work now that we're allowed to wear whatever boots we want.

https://www.rockyboots.com/sale/rocky-s2v-jungle-boot/FQ0000106.html

They're amazing so far, not sure how well they'll hold in freezing weather, but I got kit for that.

Answer is: not well, jungle boots aren't well suited for temperate fall climate. They dry real quick tho.

Edit: obtained this https://www.outdoorresearch.com/ca/en/mens-foray-jacket/p/2680800313006 at half price because of job discout. Can't wait to test it out.

Happened to find a wool three piece suit for cheap at a thrift store and it fit perfectly. Don't know when I'll get to use it but I'm probably going to look better than I ever have in my life.

I've been wanting to get a light, somewhat stylish hoodless jacket (like a bomber jacket) for a while now. Last spring I was thinking about getting a faux leather jacket, but upon further reflection... nah, I think I'll pass. Recently, I was looking at getting a Carhartt jacket like this, because I could wear it to work at the farm, but hopefully it might also look nice enough that I could wear it when running errands or visiting friends. I don't think that'd work, though. TBH I'm rather pissed off at Carhartt; their stuff's pricey, a frustratingly large amount of it is out of stock right now, and I recently bought a Carhartt winter coat for ~$100 bucks and I'm far from being completely happy with it. After a bunch looking in the wrong places and getting nowhere, I finally got lucky and came across this last night. It's less expensive than the Carhartt, it would hopefully clean off easier if it's smooth, and it looks decent. I'm betting I could wear it for light (not super dirty) farm work and when going out. It'd be the practical option.

I, uh, also saw this. It looks like an old-fashioned leather jacket, but it's made of microsuede. I don't know anything about microsuede except what I read last night (I guess it's durable, but stuff sticks to it), but safe to say it wouldn't be a work jacket lol. A jacket for going out with your girlfriend, or other such social situations, then, which is to say I'd wear it outside the house about twice a year. :lol: It'd be the impractical option, for sure. Darn if it doesn't look nice, though, and for just $40, that sounds like a good deal.

Last spring I was thinking about getting a faux leather jacket
Yeah, I was gonna say this feels familiar. Just buy one already, it's a jacket, not life :razz:

I would go with the TH one. The arms cut on the first one looks lumpy in the back picture. Microsuede is a pain to maintain and it doesn't look super great to begin with.

kurczak said:
Last spring I was thinking about getting a faux leather jacket
Yeah, I was gonna say this feels familiar. Just buy one already, it's a jacket, not life :razz:
True. I thought about getting a faux leather jacket for a little while longer after I made that first, but then I guess I kinda moved on and forgot about it until recently.

kurczak said:
The arms cut on the first one looks lumpy in the back picture.
Carhartt makes their coats too big, in my experience. Now, mind you, I'm a really skinny guy of no particularly great height, so take that into account, but even on the Carhartt jackets/coats of mine that fit, it seems like they put way too much material into the things. Also, that's why it's a good thing I don't buy stuff quickly. :razz: I really wanted that one at first, but then A.) it went out of stock, and B.) I found myself rather short of spending money after Christmas. Which sort-of worked out, because now having thought about it and worn another Carhartt winter coat that I got right after Christmas (and gotten annoyed with it), I can see how this one might not be such a good idea.

kurczak said:
Microsuede is a pain to maintain and it doesn't look super great to begin with.
Yeah, from what little I read about it the other night, it can take a beating, but also stains easily, and it attracts lint and pet hair which can be hard to get off. Now, mind you, what I was reading about were microsuede couches, not jackets, but I'm assuming what I read applies to both. :razz:

Arvenski said:
Carhartt makes their coats too big, in my experience. Now, mind you, I'm a really skinny guy of no particularly great height, so take that into account, but even on the Carhartt jackets/coats of mine that fit, it seems like they put way too much material into the things. Also, that's why it's a good thing I don't buy stuff quickly. :razz: I really wanted that one at first, but then A.) it went out of stock, and B.) I found myself rather short of spending money after Christmas. Which sort-of worked out, because now having thought about it and worn another Carhartt winter coat that I got right after Christmas (and gotten annoyed with it), I can see how this one might not be such a good idea.
Problem solved, then :smile:

Arvenski said:
Yeah, from what little I read about it the other night, it can take a beating, but also stains easily, and it attracts lint and pet hair which can be hard to get off. Now, mind you, what I was reading about were microsuede couches, not jackets, but I'm assuming what I read applies to both. :razz:
All of that is true plus the whenever you lean against something or just generally get in contact with anything - seats, people in the crowd, anything - the fibers get messed up and it looks kinda blotchy until you brush it and realign the fibers. It's not a deal breaker, more like a mild annoyance. I'm also not a huge fan of elastic waistbands, but it shows less on a really skinny person and/or if you wear it unzipped. I'm not saying don't, it's a decent jacket, I just like the Hilfiger one better, but if you are on a tight budget, the $25 difference (assuming equal shipping) can tip the scales.

Jungle boots are for summer wear, and rely on the principle of "water; easy in, easy out". I wore Altima All-Leather for a few years, they're pretty good all-year jungle-boot pattern boot.

As for clothing, I try not to buy new. Wearing out what I have for everyday wear.

Though I had a three piece silk suit tailor made in Vietnam, ironically.

Back
Top Bottom