The abuse of words and "jokes" that are not funny

Users who are viewing this thread

You know, Kobrag, you're awfully sensitive to rape jokes seeing as how you once threatened me with rape.

Also, I seem to remember you participating in a round of dead baby jokes before I banned your stupid ass from IRC.

Can you say hypocrisy? :lol:

And then there's that "Yiff" thing, I for one am offended by that. There was news over here by some guy doing a pregnant hog, it just sickened me. So yeah, if we're gonna stop the baby-kill/rape jokes, can we stop the furry/yiff crap as well?

okiN said:
You know, Kobrag, you're awfully sensitive to rape jokes seeing as how you once threatened me with rape.

Also, I seem to remember you participating in a round of dead baby jokes before I banned your stupid ass from IRC.

Can you say hypocrisy? :lol:
No, the word is to long for him.

okiN said:

Well, you see, this is what we call 'selective rules', m'kay, which means that you can't joke about raping korbaggy, but he can dream about brutally molesting your sphincter with phallic objects, m'kay. It's also called taking a crap in everyones teacup, so you're the only one that drinks tea, m'kay. (???)

Tuckles said:
And then there's that "Yiff" thing, I for one am offended by that. There was news over here by some guy doing a pregnant hog, it just sickened me. So yeah, if we're gonna stop the baby-kill/rape jokes, can we stop the furry/yiff crap as well?

Oh yeah, I'm all for that one, Tuckles.

Undictionary [url=http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Yiff said:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Yiff[/url]]1.  yiff 
764 up, 101 down

1) (noun) Sound supposedly made by mating arctic foxes.
2) (acronym) (or more backronym) YIFF or Y. I. F. F. - "Young Incredibly ****able Furry"
3) (proper name) YIFF sound server. Program for Linux to help handle audio.
4) (noun) More or less (usually more) sexual act. Commonly used by furries, usually denotes standard intercourse but may denote any kind of sexual behaviour between any type and number of parties (imaginary anthro creatures, humans, animals, even inanimate objects like plushies). Antonym: Yerf.
5) (verb) Like in meaning 4, "to yiff".
6) Furry (or otherwise) artwork depicting yiff as in meaning 4.
7) Expression of joy (by furries)
8 ) Non-invasive question about sexual feelings/will to mate.

*cough*

Edit. Crap, stupid smiley.

In the words of G.C. the great: "****, Piss, ****, ****, Cocksucker, Mother****er, Tits".

That being said, I disagree with the OP.

I'd clarify my opinnion but explaining my mindset would set a horrible example for others.

okiN said:
Nah. He's just having the obligatory OMGHI2U reaction to a female poster, teenager that he is. :smile:

well i only know one artist that draws beast on human yiff, he is quite popular.

OT: LL:i would agree with your statement about yourself if it wouldn't lead me to a a ban, personally I think we should drop the topic. 

I agree with Kobrag, leave the forum to its workings, if you don't like the jokes, stay away from Off-Topic. (Or maybe make a cleaner version of off-topic, and another not-so-clean one, where you could move the dream women thread and stuff)

The fact is, unless this kind of debate is processed through a different form than the binaristic model of freedom of speech vs. safety, any headway in these kind of issues is unlikely to be made. The democritizing potential of the Internet far outweighs the negative aspects that one might encounter, though I still sympathise with the OP to a degree. Forums can be an intimidating place, especially for certain members of the opposite sex who may be more likely offended by subject matter given that men tend to monopolize forums and also outnumber women (unless a forums is specifically aimed at women).

The specific 'netiquette' or degree of its employment within the Taleworlds forums is ultimately shaped by its members (the vasy majority unfortunately being male), which can lead to a marginalisation of groups, such as women, since such netiquette may not include their own concerns or, being masculine defined, can lead to derogatory marks towards women being overlooked. I agree with the poster in including 'gender' in the "No derogatory or discriminatory remarks based on ethnicity or religion. No hate propoganda, no racism" rule, but also with Janus in taking into account the context of any allegedly derogatory or discriminatory remarks. Whether the person who posts allegedly offensive material is being serious or not, whether they are trying to offend certain members with it, etc. should be taken into account if a complaint is raised, just as the context of the complaint should be taken into account, i.e. if they made a complaint about an OT thread in Fun Stuff clearly titled 'Dead Baby Jokes'.

It also annoys me to see such attitudes, and also to a minor extent that people use words in a manner that is not correct.  Sure, I am not native to English, but seriously, people.  Let's take the abuse of the word rape, for instance, since that is quite common...  I know it is rampart online these days, but there are countless of words that fit far better.  The same goes for plenty of other words being use incorrectly, probably due to lack of vocabulary or just thinking they are cool.  It is not so.

Unfortunately, you may have an army of linguists to fight against on that argument. You cannot abuse a word. We define how language is used which dictionaries then record, not the other way round. Language change is driven by prestige and identity, in this instance, the use of the word 'rape' as in "omgzor he raped my battlecruisers!" is part of a vocabulary which gives identity to the gaming and Internet-using sub-group of society. The manifestation of the word in such a context is, like netiquette, a product of the group that produces it and unfortunately cannot be easily disassociated from its original meaning. A similar thing can be seen with the popular usage of '******' within certain social groups.

I think this is a fascinating topic, because seemingly an aspect of our humour in my group of friends is based on similar principles of absurdly shocking material and bad taste. I cackled at most of those baby jokes in that hideous torrent, though I was kinda surprised at some of the more brutal variations I saw.

On a random but slightly relevant note, a week dead baby was found in a handbag by a recycling worker down here, watching the report I was pretty horrified, even had a dream about making a similar discovery myself (and promptly had to change my sticky underwear) (well no actually it was quiet disturbing). The point is, I don't think it really made the jokes any less funny, admittedly though they are a little tired, as all great jokes become.

That makes me think, I often have this conversation with my friends: where next can it possibly go? Hasn't the envelope been pushed as far as possible? After this conversation there is usually silence as we wrack our brains trying to come up with a winner.
Blatant racism is pretty funny to me.

And who likes Tom Green? Or do we draw the line there?

Edit: Isn't goatse just a guy stretching his anus? Or is there more to the whole thing, possibly a horse?
And Pavlov must have been banned when I was trapped under that rock that doesn't have any internet, what exactly, or roughly did he do?

Back
Top Bottom