Tested athletics 110 vs 1, there is a problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Did some tests with I guy - 110a naked
II guy - 110a - 25p of weight
III guy - 1a - naked

I moved them to the same group and order to run straight. Iguy instantly sprints out of others, but after ~3 seconds he looses all his extra speed and his lead doesnt grow anymore!
If i turn them around, both Iguy and IIguy outrun IIIguy, but then loose their bonus speed again.

Then i moved IIguy to the separate group. i order Iguy and IIIguy to run. Wait 3 second and let IIguy run. ? Suprise. He outrun them and keep his leed growing,

TL;DR . Grouped different troops share lowest athletics.!

PS. i did one run with three groups. Proved to myself that encumbrances means a lot - works properly. Also low athletics is realy slowNaked 1 athletics guy = 33p 70 athletics guy. And every additional 3p make last one loose a 1 metter over 30 metters runEvery weapon or shield on your back counts toward total weight.
For mounted men only harness's weight matters

Last edited:
The original design makes sense. That's what we call "formations" and "staying in line". Like you've said, if you want to utilize the speed of different kinds of troops, it's better to group them into different groups.

Ye, but I was struggling to catch looters with mixed troops :smile:
Also i can see a problem when you mix fians with heavy spearmans, Fians would loose tons of mobility
And now i have to divide my army of companions into 2 groups . More micromanagement hurts

Combat AI
  • Enabled charging agents to move together in formation. Both cavalry and infantry troops in formation now tend to stay in line while charging at the enemy. Cavalry formations will try to regroup before charging back, if the formation is intact.

Yes, it should be related to that. Try it on 1.3 to see if it's the same result ?

And now i have to divide my army of companions into 2 groups . More micromanagement hurts

You don't have to, just set them to "Scatter" formation when you want them to break the line or chase ennemy. But yeah i sometimes group my 2H units in a different one, but mostly because i want them to be behind the shield wall not really for athletics related purpose.

Ye, but I was struggling to catch looters with mixed troops :smile:
Also i can see a problem when you mix fians with heavy spearmans, Fians would loose tons of mobility

...which means the thread probably should have been about better, more easier and intuitive ways to form the order of battle beforehand. Now THAT, I would agree. Clicking individually I, II, III ... in the party screen is such a pain, because of the rudimentary "individually click" type of interface. Probably could use a lot of improvement there.

Staying in formation is a useful thing indeed, however I wonder how tight this imaginary boundry is for units! Although slightly improved I`d still argue lightly armored infantry which is supposed to deal damage with 2 handed weapons and such performs comparatively poor.
I wonder if it is because they can`t really utilize their movement speed?

If I understand this correct your entire section of light cavalery such as battanian scouts for example could be slowed down if for whatever reason a imperial cataphract makes it into this unit? Or even a light cavalery unit from another faction which is noticeable slower (balance) but still considered light cavalery by design.

If a unit has high movement speed as benefit and trading it in on other stats it should remain this benefit during battle, that is my point of view. At the same time I want my units to keep some kind of order in formations. So I guess the range where they get slowed down should be increased?

If I understand this correct your entire section of light cavalery such as battanian scouts for example could be slowed down if for whatever reason a imperial cataphract makes it into this unit? Or even a light cavalery unit from another faction which is noticeable slower (balance) but still considered light cavalery by design.

You can't expect different kind of unit do be smart enough to do what you have in thought without you telling them to, it's an AI.
You want them to stay in formation, but still use their max speed when they can't do both, so i don't think any fix other than micromanaging by creating separate group can do something about that problem.

What would be nice however would be a specific order to break formation because scatter doens't seems to work as i imagined it.

I think that charge should break formation, and advance should hold formation. Maybe there could be another order we can give that would be an all-out charge that ends formation and tells our troops to run down routed enemies.

That isn't what they do? Then what is the difference between them?
In my test's save there is no diff between those 2 commands. I put them all to the first group, try different commands, but they still run with the pace of the slowest one. (If he has "shield wall", even slower). But fastest will be on the edge, following by fast, by medium and closing by the heavy infantry :smile: The Suicide formation as i named it :smile:)
Ps. I use Scatter command when i charge into enemy. Otherwise they go with shields up.

Back
Top Bottom