MP Team Colors in Mirror faction matches

Users who are viewing this thread

Dumanthis

Recruit
Bannerlord multiplayer is a really fast paced game (captain, deathmatch, siege) where a lot of things happen at once and I love the game for it. However it is really difficult sometimes to tell a friend from foe when the factions on both sides are the same. In Bannerlord you actually use a lot of your periferal vision as well to navigate in the heat of battle.

For example Sturgia vs. Sturgia. When my team has blue and white colors and the enemy team has reverse colors white and blue it is such a small difference that you constantly confuse who is on which team resulting in attacking allies and turning backs to enemies. In a fast paced situation with multiple players doing mayhem you really can't follow the team markers above the heads either.

All factions suffer from this but not all at the same magnitude and the unit class in the situation effects a lot (Voulgier with improved armor has so little team color in his chest that it is really hard to tell which side he is on). For example Empire vs. Empire is the least confusing while Aserai, Battania are really confusing in the mayhem.

So what I am suggesting is that the team colors in the mirror matches would be changed not to be reverse colors but something else and more distintict. For example Red and Yellow Vlandia vs Blue and White Vlandia etc etc. This would make the recognition so much clearer and when I think about the singleplayer mode I recall that the capability to change army and unit colors widely exists independent from the unit or the faction in question.

PS. Just wanted to contribute to the discussion about Bannerlord with a one point that bothers me enough to come to the forums ;D Love the game and anxious to see the full release

I completely agree -- the coloring it is far too confusing and you can't always see the banner (or lack there of) over the heads. This is particularly problematic in Captain Mode where you can easily team kill. Quite frankly, I often quit as soon as a same faction match comes up (and they seem to come up very often!). :sad:

I honestly never had a problem confusing the troops, since my team has banners over their heads and the enemy doesen't, It certainly wouldn't hurt the game experience if colours would change in mirror faction games and if it helps others to better differentiate the teams, why not.

Imho I've never had a problem with this. I feel the colour distinctions currently are clear enough.

I think you underestimate this issue. Played a couple of matches yesterday and it is really hard to distinct the team. I think Battania vs. Battania might even be the worst possible setup in terms of recognition in the battlefield: Both have green basic garments and even the shields are so similar that you are just constantly hitting everyone just to be sure. A player in the game advised me that the "enemy is the one that attacks you" :wink: .

But of course this is just my experience of the game. But I would see this thing fixed as massive improvement in the games quality of life in comparison to the effort since the customized faction colors already exist in the singleplayer.

I think you underestimate this issue. Played a couple of matches yesterday and it is really hard to distinct the team. I think Battania vs. Battania might even be the worst possible setup in terms of recognition in the battlefield: Both have green basic garments and even the shields are so similar that you are just constantly hitting everyone just to be sure. A player in the game advised me that the "enemy is the one that attacks you" :wink: .

But of course this is just my experience of the game. But I would see this thing fixed as massive improvement in the games quality of life in comparison to the effort since the customized faction colors already exist in the singleplayer.
Haven't really had any problem with this, but I mostly play Skirmish so its not a big problem there anyways.

Aserai is the worst offender by far. The colors are barely different, and all the gear they wear that is not faction-colored is still orange.

Its cute to have the inverted colors for mirror matches, but its not necessary, interesting, or good design. Make Aserai's mirror color Blue or Black, please, so you can at a glance determine what is what.

The colors need to be very, very distinct. Look at any Civil war that's ever happened, they didn't just swap uniform colors around, because they'd accidentally kill each other. They made sure the colors were as different as possible. American Revolution? British wore red, so Americans wore blue. War of the Roses? One side is White, so another wears Red. American Civil War, Blue and Grey. Not Dark Yellow and Orange. Not light blue and white.

Recommended Mirror Colors:
Aserai - BLUE + PURPLE
Battania - RED + BLACK
Sturgia - BLACK + GREEN
Khuzait - YELLOW + ORANGE

Empire works well since the colors are almost inverted, and Vlandia works well enough since they are adjacent primary colors.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom