Taleworlds please get to work

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ltlurker

Recruit
There are tons of systems that need implementation/improvement through talent + hours and done at a far greater pace than you've shown this past decade. At this rate BL will still be in EA by 2025. Here are just a few ideas:

1. Add more depth to the game (eg: politics, diplomacy, intrigue). Take some notes from Crusader Kings. That's the sort of stuff this game needs to fill up its hollow shell that becomes all too noticeable after a single bug infested play through of chasing down armies and sieging castles. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that there's very little content here. People have dumped thousands upon thousands of hours into CK2. Don't be cheap. Take inspiration, get new hands onboard, and get to work. That's what early access should be about.

2. Hire some writers and artists to work on the cities/lore/story/environment. There is no world building here. Visiting cities and interacting with NPCs leave the impression of playing through an engine demo. There's a ton of work to be done in this regard and I seriously doubt that the current staff can deliver considering the scarcity in content on its initial EA release and between that time and now, 6 months later. It's crucial if you label your game as an RPG/Simulation for you to take steps to develop its world, characters, locations, history, atmosphere, etc. Look at other RPG/Sandbox games, take notes, and improve your own.

3. Fix the terrible AI. 10 years later and I hardly see the improvement over Warband. Formations are not a way to sell the idea you've worked extensively on AI. A single close enemy off to the side and your men abandon all cohesion and act like roaches chasing a kill while the enemy formation slams into their rear. Why not add a system where multiple units together attract more attention from the AI and when ordered to charge those units become their primary target and not the lone infantryman or cavalry archer behind them. Add a function for the AI to reform or reposition in a group, to spread out or back off if they're being encircled. These are just a few ideas off the top of my head. It's not that hard and you've had plenty of time to work on this major selling point - maybe it's time to outsource. Far greater challenges have been overcome. Don't let pride or greed hold this game back from its full potential.

4. Release mod tools; you said you'd release something by the end of August. We're now a week into September and not a word. You were mistaken/lying and you should address the fact. There just isn't enough talent and drive at TW to reasonably complete this game and if it wasn't for the eager modders that are prepared to finish this game for you then it would be an insult to ask players to beta test this game for the next 5 years while you polish the superficial systems that are in place. Warband has been alive this long cause of its devoted modding community. That shouldn't be the case with Bannerlord - you shouldn't aim to accomplish the bare minimum with the expectation that others will finish the job.

Pet peeves:

5. Make first-person and third-person mouse sensitivity values equal. First person is a lot faster than third person. It makes aiming bows or melee in 1P uncomfortable.

6. Field of View in third person is atrocious; include an option to tweak it the same as first person FOV (Note: this is not "zoom")

It's 2020 and this isn't a console port, you need to nail the basics like sensitivity and FOV. Sort of blows my mind how no one at the office after all these years took a day or two to iron this out.

These are just a few things you ought to be working on NOW. Reorganize, hire talent, crack down on 3 hour coffee and shisha breaks, do what you have to do.

At this rate, you're gonna be stuck in early access for as long as it took to finally put the game on steam or end up releasing it completely lacking content, depth, or any of the promises you are expected to keep.

Stop drawing out the process. You have a block of ice here with endless, untapped potential and it's time to start carving a sculpture.

First of all the diplomacy and the city scenes have been discussed before the ea even released and diplomacy if you are not too familiar with these forums i worked on by 1 person from what we know the ai is broken such as in warband as its hard to get 1000 units to e controlled by a computer is kinda hard since unlike total war where an entire unite is one thing every soldier is individual in bannerlord if you have not felt comfortable with how the game is going dont play it the mod tool release at the end of august was an expectation not ground stone as they said in the mod tools stream for gamescom if you didnt watch that where they said "we would love to release by the end of the month if ready but its probably gonna release a couple weeks from now" and as you clearly seem to be a great developer and storywriter they should probably hire you as you being the only person ever complainig about FOV mabye work on that as for town scenes if you did not read the early acess announcement they have stated clearly that it is a work in progress and that most features of towns and cities wont be in and you kight see copied scenes from castle to castle occasionally but as seeing prior you clearly do nnot enjoy being up to date as for the game developmen you do not nor do i know what happens inside taleworlds game development you cannot either taking a guess is okay but trying to make it like its the objective fact is not as from what we know there are currently 9 to 13 programmers from the game and i think the current economic situation of turkey is probably gonna hopefully not too hard

There are tons of systems that need implementation/improvement through talent + hours and done at a far greater pace than you've shown this past decade. At this rate BL will still be in EA by 2025. Here are just a few ideas:

1. Add more depth to the game (eg: politics, diplomacy, intrigue). Take some notes from Crusader Kings. That's the sort of stuff this game needs to fill up its hollow shell that becomes all too noticeable after a single bug infested play through of chasing down armies and sieging castles. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that there's very little content here. People have dumped thousands upon thousands of hours into CK2. Don't be cheap. Take inspiration, get new hands onboard, and get to work. That's what early access should be about.

2. Hire some writers and artists to work on the cities/lore/story/environment. There is no world building here. Visiting cities and interacting with NPCs leave the impression of playing through an engine demo. There's a ton of work to be done in this regard and I seriously doubt that the current staff can deliver considering the scarcity in content on its initial EA release and between that time and now, 6 months later. It's crucial if you label your game as an RPG/Simulation for you to take steps to develop its world, characters, locations, history, atmosphere, etc. Look at other RPG/Sandbox games, take notes, and improve your own.

3. Fix the terrible AI. 10 years later and I hardly see the improvement over Warband. Formations are not a way to sell the idea you've worked extensively on AI. A single close enemy off to the side and your men abandon all cohesion and act like roaches chasing a kill while the enemy formation slams into their rear. Why not add a system where multiple units together attract more attention from the AI and when ordered to charge those units become their primary target and not the lone infantryman or cavalry archer behind them. Add a function for the AI to reform or reposition in a group, to spread out or back off if they're being encircled. These are just a few ideas off the top of my head. It's not that hard and you've had plenty of time to work on this major selling point - maybe it's time to outsource. Far greater challenges have been overcome. Don't let pride or greed hold this game back from its full potential.

4. Release mod tools; you said you'd release something by the end of August. We're now a week into September and not a word. You were mistaken/lying and you should address the fact. There just isn't enough talent and drive at TW to reasonably complete this game and if it wasn't for the eager modders that are prepared to finish this game for you then it would be an insult to ask players to beta test this game for the next 5 years while you polish the superficial systems that are in place. Warband has been alive this long cause of its devoted modding community. That shouldn't be the case with Bannerlord - you shouldn't aim to accomplish the bare minimum with the expectation that others will finish the job.

Pet peeves:

5. Make first-person and third-person mouse sensitivity values equal. First person is a lot faster than third person. It makes aiming bows or melee in 1P uncomfortable.

6. Field of View in third person is atrocious; include an option to tweak it the same as first person FOV (Note: this is not "zoom")

It's 2020 and this isn't a console port, you need to nail the basics like sensitivity and FOV. Sort of blows my mind how no one at the office after all these years took a day or two to iron this out.

These are just a few things you ought to be working on NOW. Reorganize, hire talent, crack down on 3 hour coffee and shisha breaks, do what you have to do.

At this rate, you're gonna be stuck in early access for as long as it took to finally put the game on steam or end up releasing it completely lacking content, depth, or any of the promises you are expected to keep.

Stop drawing out the process. You have a block of ice here with endless, untapped potential and it's time to start carving a sculpture.
+1 +1 +1 +1

The code refactor they did was to make development faster. Before the code refactor, the updates were coming in a bit of a slow pace. After the refactor, v1.5 was quickly moved to stable branch even though it was huge. I believe that after the refactoring we will be seeing a lot of updates that are being moved to stable branch fast. I am also looking forward to the modding tools because I want to start creating mods. Anyways, I am not sure how they are working and what kind of culture they have at the company, but one thing I know is that most of things (if not all) that we want will be implemented eventually in the game and now at a higher speed after the code refactoring. ?

First of all the diplomacy and the city scenes have been discussed before the ea even released and diplomacy if you are not too familiar with these forums i worked on by 1 person from what we know the ai is broken such as in warband as its hard to get 1000 units to e controlled by a computer is kinda hard since unlike total war where an entire unite is one thing every soldier is individual in bannerlord if you have not felt comfortable with how the game is going dont play it the mod tool release at the end of august was an expectation not ground stone as they said in the mod tools stream for gamescom if you didnt watch that where they said "we would love to release by the end of the month if ready but its probably gonna release a couple weeks from now" and as you clearly seem to be a great developer and storywriter they should probably hire you as you being the only person ever complainig about FOV mabye work on that as for town scenes if you did not read the early acess announcement they have stated clearly that it is a work in progress and that most features of towns and cities wont be in and you kight see copied scenes from castle to castle occasionally but as seeing prior you clearly do nnot enjoy being up to date as for the game developmen you do not nor do i know what happens inside taleworlds game development you cannot either taking a guess is okay but trying to make it like its the objective fact is not as from what we know there are currently 9 to 13 programmers from the game and i think the current economic situation of turkey is probably gonna hopefully not too hard

This is nearly impossible to read, try adding some periods and maybe format it into a couple paragraphs or something.

Visiting cities and interacting with NPCs leave the impression of playing through an engine demo.
This is an engine demo, sadly this engine needs a lot of AI work we won't be receiving as you have noted yourself.

Add more depth to the game (eg: politics, diplomacy, intrigue). Take some notes from Crusader Kings. That's the sort of stuff this game needs to fill up its hollow shell that becomes all too noticeable after a single bug infested play through of chasing down armies and sieging castles. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that there's very little content here. People have dumped thousands upon thousands of hours into CK2. Don't be cheap. Take inspiration, get new hands onboard, and get to work. That's what early access should be about.

The CK2 that was played for thousands upon thousands of hours was spread over seven years and thirteen major DLC releases.

"Get to work" haha what a stupid thing to say. They have been at work every day of the week and also over many weekends.

People here need to understand that every company is different. Development will happen in the way that TW works. Not on your terms.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom