[Suggestions] for Viking Conquest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about the option to recruit standard bearers and horn blowers from the camp follower menu, these guys are not easy to get at all. I went through the entire story line and didn't have a single one in my army, they need to be more accessible to the player. 

JuJu70 said:
Dennis The Great said:
mike56 said:
Jesgard Gysson said:
...since vikings also threw spears and axes and swords.
Yeah, for sure a viking would throw a fine weapon that costs as much as two good horses  :roll:
if you think a little realistic on it.. you can throw any weapon.. so why not throw weapons that a made for it :smile:
he obviously meant a sword
While throwing an expensive sword may seem strange, it actually is mentioned in historical fighting manuals and some historical accounts. Obviously it would depend on the situation. You would not want to toss it if there were other enemies nearby and you had no other weapon. However I am not saying it should be added to the mod as a feature. For me it is just a minor point that I really don't care about either way for game play purposes. I guess I am just quibbling over a minor detail then.

Anyways another thing I would  like to suggest is that some attention be given to the story dialog so it makes more sense. I feel like there is a lot of room for improvement. Some of the plot points force you into a certain perspective of the events based on the dialog. The outcomes can be the same as they are now I guess but the reasoning is a bit weak or even broken in some parts and this could be improved. I am not referring to the word use and grammar errors - that is a separate issue. It is just that the logical flow of choices from one dialog to the next is forced or confusing in some parts.

1. Imported weapons and armor.
Weapons and armor from other European cultures not included as factions could become available at the traders, but not available as loot (not assigned to any troop type). They should be very expensive and very rare, perhaps even only sold by the Book Merchant or through quests. This would assure that only the player character or his/her companions would be able to equip them so that the game would not lose its feel (although use of foreign armor by Vikings is mentioned in the sagas, and in those times, well, armor was armor, not a uniform).

1a. More weapons.
The atgeir or hoeggspjot (also called the Viking halberd) for a more native hafted blade feel, or two-handed wooden clubs.

2. Northern Frankia / Normandy
Seeing as there already is a part of the map with a section of the northern coast of modern day France, Northern Frankia could be introduced as another faction to the game. Historically, these lands were raided by Vikings since the second half of the 9th century and Normandy was specifically a fief held by Norsemen (Rollo, among others). The inclusion of this faction could spice things up for the Frisians, as well as the south of England. Their troops could distinguish themselves with kite shields.

3. Long shot - the Baltic Sea
Realistically speaking, I don't think this is ever going to make it into the game, but here it goes: the Baltic Sea, with Sweden, Gotaland, Pommerania, Old Prussia,  Rus and Finland. All of these lands were frequented and raided by the Vikings. This could be coupled with the inclusion of tropps like the Jomsvikings, Estonian Pirates or the Varangian Guard veterans as mercenaries.

Kingdom Of Danmark can do some war campaigns to England and we go with them on storyline,to gain reputation with some jarls..and with the kingdom.

More action in the story line would be great..just travelling and killing some guys..it's not that funny...

MedievalLover said:
Kingdom Of Danmark can do some war campaigns to England and we go with them on storyline,to gain reputation with some jarls..and with the kingdom.

More action in the story line would be great..just travelling and killing some guys..it's not that funny...

You kind of do it. Kingdoms were not really a big thingy at that age and you go and fight either for Ragnar sons (from more than 1 kingdom) or the christians.

You go with troops from one part of the pagan world and join the other. Its what you are asking already implemented  :mrgreen:

Now if you want to stay a member of Danmark just play sandbox, make yourself marshal and bring hell to the christians!  :cool:

Posted by: Borzag
« on: January 13, 2015, 11:01:40 AM »

"Northern Frankia / Normandy
Seeing as there already is a part of the map with a section of the northern coast of modern day France, Northern Frankia could be introduced as another faction to the game. Historically, these lands were raided by Vikings since the second half of the 9th century and Normandy was specifically a fief held by Norsemen (Rollo, among others). The inclusion of this faction could spice things up for the Frisians, as well as the south of England. Their troops could distinguish themselves with kite shields."

That would indeed be a great addition. It could be reffered as "March of northern Neustria" as it wasnt yet properly held by Vikings until 911. Great opportunity to add Carolingian troops though, with heavy cav and heavy inf wearing scale armor and wielding longer swords. Would be a total treat from the devs.

I believe there shouldn't be much of a morale impact when you hire vikings/bandits if your army primarily comprises of mainly them. I have an army of 100 vikingrs, all of them came under my wing the same way and they should emphasize with recruiting others of their unit type.

Traditore said:
I believe there shouldn't be much of a morale impact when you hire vikings/bandits if your army primarily comprises of mainly them. I have an army of 100 vikingrs, all of them came under my wing the same way and they should emphasize with recruiting others of their unit type.

While it's understandably unnerving, think of it this way - loose bands of vikings and bandits are kind of the equivalent of modern day organized crime. Put two gangs, regardless of ethnicity, affiliation or origin in one place and chances are you're going to end up with a fight sooner or later. So the morale penalty makes sense, as your standard troops fear the bandits and the bandits already under your command treat the new guys as competition. Also, for the sake of balance, sometimes the amount of troops you get by hiring a party of bandits is disproportionate to the effort you need to put in to recruit standard troops or mercenaries, especially later on in the game.

Borzag said:
Traditore said:

While it's understandably unnerving, think of it this way - loose bands of vikings and bandits are kind of the equivalent of modern day organized crime. Put two gangs, regardless of ethnicity, affiliation or origin in one place and chances are you're going to end up with a fight sooner or later. So the morale penalty makes sense, as your standard troops fear the bandits and the bandits already under your command treat the new guys as competition. Also, for the sake of balance, sometimes the amount of troops you get by hiring a party of bandits is disproportionate to the effort you need to put in to recruit standard troops or mercenaries, especially later on in the game.

I agree, especially with the Elite Vikings being some of the strongest units in the game there needs to be a check on recruiting them, or the game will end up like Warband with a huge army of all elite Vikings substituted for an elite army of Swad Knights.

Maybe there should be a greater morale penalty always present for hiring bandits? similar to the penalty for hiring non-faction troops. And, maybe raise the weekly cost. Viking/Bandits have the same penalty as mercenaries, but this was lowered in VC so it is not really effective in discouraging their use. Putting at least the Elite Bandit cost up might as well help balance there use in the game.

One of the things about VC I am really enjoying is the balance the system forces on your troops. It is hard to over recruit cavalry or archers. And, hard to accumulate high end faction units. The ease of rolling with elite Vikings seems to be the only glitch left in the system.

I'm not inclined to read through 13 pages and so I am sorry if I'm flogging a dead horse here - but is there a plan to reduce the Benny Hill-style movement speeds? Even the walking villagers look like weird, Silent Movie era speed-freaks. If not, then is there an easy way to mod the movement rates down? It's all ridiculously fast for my tastes.

Gibby said:
I'm not inclined to read through 13 pages and so I am sorry if I'm flogging a dead horse here - but is there a plan to reduce the Benny Hill-style movement speeds? Even the walking villagers look like weird, Silent Movie era speed-freaks. If not, then is there an easy way to mod the movement rates down? It's all ridiculously fast for my tastes.

I'm not sure, though, at this point I've not only grown used to them I've also started to like them. It gives combat a different meta and makes the game handle differently than both Native and NW. That's just my two cents though.

Borzag said:
2. Northern Frankia / Normandy
Seeing as there already is a part of the map with a section of the northern coast of modern day France, Northern Frankia could be introduced as another faction to the game. Historically, these lands were raided by Vikings since the second half of the 9th century and Normandy was specifically a fief held by Norsemen (Rollo, among others). The inclusion of this faction could spice things up for the Frisians, as well as the south of England. Their troops could distinguish themselves with kite shields.

Also, I would LOVE this. Wouldn't even have to be that large. Just 1 town and 2 castles. A Frankish/Norse styled army. It would be brilliant. Plus, the territory was quite relevant to the viknig ages. I don't believe we NEED Bretagne/Brittany but I do think Normandy should be a sure thing added to the game at some point.

Gibby said:

Totally agree!  Running in towns and running in a battle are two different things. 

Walking/running speed in towns should be reduced!

Gibby said:

There is a text line on the file module.ini of the mod which you can easily modify in order to reduce the running speed.
I read this some time ago (when DLC was released) and tested it, and it worked.

I can't remember now what I did, but the solution is in the module.ini, for sure  :lol:

I don't remember if this was suggested already but.. Quoted from another person 

"The quantity and variety of armour and weapons in the shop is meagre compared with even Brythenwalda. It should be boosted."

And not just variations of the same armor or weapons .. It's the viking age, if a viking faction for example does not have it's own several types of light/medium armor then surely they can find it by looting in other places no?

As for the player character icon for the map,  if you guys are going to leave it the same could make the following adjustments.

-Reduce the size of the main character model it looks out of place and too big. Just make him the same size as everybody else mounted or on foot.

-Add a helmet to character model please and maybe mail. Maybe even a few basic helms for the men in his group,  they are all bald!

-Make the player fleet icon expand based on the number of ships that are in his fleet. For example 1, 3, 5, and 7 ships just like what lords use. Currently it just stays one ship no matter the size of your fleet.

These would be the minimum changes I would make to the player map icon.

Reduce the size of the window that shows damage info, casualties, etc. In big battles, casualty reports are annoying as crap.
OjVtO.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom