Suggestions for classic RPG games

Users who are viewing this thread

Mulek said:
Arcanum if you enjoy steampunk with magic :wink:.
Moose! said:
This!

Arcanum.jpg

For cheap at GOG!

HA! A mule ninja'd a moose!

I just bought Dungeon Lords for five bucks at Wal-Mart a couple weeks ago. I personally didn't like it very much, but it was decent for a few hours before I got bored with it. At least they have a diverse mix of races you can play as.

D'Sparil said:
Archonsod said:
Graylord said:
I am trying Icewind dale II out, but how feasible is a solo character?
It's not.

It is, I finished the game once with a dark elf warrior. Heart of Fury mode is another story though...
I am trying a Paladin/Wizard.
But I am having some issues with the shading, objects on the ground have a huge black box around them, so does text boxes of casual talking, but they cover half the screen. In most other Black Isle games, it's just to turn off some options, but it doesn't work here.

Graylord said:
Planescape: Torment was a bit meh

Heathan! how dare ye speak such words of hatred!
naw seriously, I love torment,  my all time favorate-  could you not at least apreciate the plot, characters and world?
anywho:  just gonna reel off suggestions at you (some of which are covered)

-Morrowind, if you can handle the wonky fighting
-Baldurs gate (2 being the better one)  although its gameplay is similar to Torment so you probs wont like
-Gothic, 2 being better than 1, if you ask me. (and number 3 is a bugfest)
-Would you classify S.T.A.L.K.E.R as an RPG?  if your rpgs dont have to have leveling systems, then i guess it would be. either way its not 'classic'  but its damn fantastic.
-another debatable rpg, is Deus Ex (dont touch the sequel)
-SOME final fantasy games, although for the most part they suck, there are a couple of gems in there.  (if you arent familiar with them, anything from 6 to 9,  i would say are worth playing.  before that and they tend to get too basic, beyond that and its drivel designed for morons)
-Arx fatalis has been mentioned, its great.
-Diablo 2, if you like hack&slash

Dwarf Fortress has a sort of RPG mode, which is fun-  if it does get dull quickly (but the strategy-game mode is a masterpiece)

Qwertyman said:
Heathan! how dare ye speak such words of hatred!
naw seriously, I love torment,  my all time favorate-  could you not at least apreciate the plot, characters and world?
anywho:  just gonna reel off suggestions at you (some of which are covered)
I love the setting and characters, I just can't get past having to use several characters at once, and it's unbalanced-ishness.

Qwertyman said:
-Would you classify S.T.A.L.K.E.R as an RPG?  if your rpgs dont have to have leveling systems, then i guess it would be. either way its not 'classic'  but its damn fantastic.

The best RPGs are the ones without character levels.
I loved the original Dungeon Siege, and GCD for Morrowind.

In which case, go play stalker.  I'd highly recomend the 'Paradise lost' mod-  as it makes the game far more realistic (in terms of gunplay) and makes the game EVEN more atmospheric,  which is saying something, since its one of the most absorbing games ive played.

Already played through all 3 of them  :razz:
But I am probably going to play through the third one again on the hardest difficulty.

Also; YAY!
I finally got Fallout 1 and 2 to work properly without the blackouts! I am now definitely playing through those.
Anyone know a good way to remove the time limits though? I love them except the time limit. (Why a time limit in a game where you want to spend as much time as possible developing your character? :mad:)

I don't know if anyone has mentioned Oblivion Scrolls and expecially Morrowind, and also Sacred, but **** yes I think you'll like them.  :eek:

Also, Diablo I for the nostalgia. =]

Graylord said:
I finally got Fallout 1 and 2 to work properly without the blackouts! I am now definitely playing through those.
Anyone know a good way to remove the time limits though? I love them except the time limit. (Why a time limit in a game where you want to spend as much time as possible developing your character? :mad:)

Seriously. Get a clue.

In F2 there is no time limit, the visions are there to push you forward.

In F1 there is only the 150 day limit for the water chip quest and that's not the end of the game. Additionally, it is a great way to keep the player on their toes. Unless you are playing 1.0 version, the second, hidden time limit doesn't matter and even in the original version it was 500 days. 500!

It's not a hiking simulator or a sandbox. You have a well-structured plot, though the game gives you freedom to go at it in a number of ways. Furthermore, you are not supposed to do everything in a single playthrough either; leave some stuff to next time, when you do it with a different character!

Back
Top Bottom