Suggestions about game mechanics

Users who are viewing this thread

Kings are a different thing, but it is really weird talking to an undead lord like "I wish to welcome you in this auspicious occasion" or "I'd like you to lend me your companion" "no" "oh what a shame, you are lucky to have someone like him". "Hello Xzayler, I heard you got that dude out of a tight spot, it was very nice of you"

Aren't evil people supposed to he like, "My Lord, the prisoners escaped." "WHAT?!" "I'm sorry my Lord, they were too many." "You fool! (Evil lord kills servant and points at a random dude) You, you are now the new general. Find the prisoners and bring them to me!"

This suggestions is for the GOOD vs EVIL mechanics.
Since there is no global system in the game other than imagination that you can't see other than villages and vassal opinions, with no visual aids.
It's also mostly for immersion and extra things to do, and keeping it simple, while trying to allow people to play how they want to.
(not sure if this can even be done though)
Keep in mind that all ideas within this suggestion are not set in stone, and can be looked at or changed to suit the mechanic suggestion.

There is also an opening to add some new units, some brainwashed units and unbrainwashed units.
Male/female and children - all with an upgrade path of 2 directions, male tend to be on the melee/archer type, female the Magic/healer type, and the children the upgrade to adults as a summoner or something crazy.
And having Good and Evil versions for all of them.

Firstly it starts off with character select.
You pick your:
  • then your father's occupation
  • then what you grew up as
  • then your class
- (remember this spot)
  • then your interest
  • then mounted or on foot
  • then confirmation to ride to your destiny
In there we should get an extra option of what your character is aligned with, in a good-neutral-evil term.
So most likely after the class choice.
This would negate all thoughts of whatever class you picked, is how you should play, then you can pick the way you wish to play for yourself, and even then you can change that style in the game anyway if so wished or the game takes a turn and you can play your character whatever way you want depending on whatever circumstance you prefer at the time.

After that, you get into the game, kill that first guy and talk to the merchant, decide if you want to do his quest or not, then once you exit that into the world you can hit your "Reports" button.
And you should see this.
reports12_zps80f636fd.jpg

After clicking that, you can see this.
alignmentreport12_zpsbef4b427.jpg
Blue =Good
Grey =Neutral
Red  =Evil

This is just a default image to show the gauge.
The numbers are just a placeholder, they can be increased, but the numbers are necessary so you can unlock things you can do for good or for evil.
But i want to stress the importance of the numbers, because this suggestion is based on only getting 1 point for doing an action either way.
So do 1 good thing, get 1 point that would move towards good, do something evil, get a point toward evil.
Once you get to 10 you unlock something really good or really evil.

Every-time you do something that compliments your alignment, that arrow shifts a point int he direction of your choices/decisions.

Now to where this Mechanic would mostly come into affect.
Villages!

Being Good or Being evil would mostly play a roll in the people, so villages, because they are the closest thing you get to a population you can interact with other than battles and merchants.
Towns and Castles are already good enough with migration.

Now say you are running around and you wanted to interact with this town, when you walk up to it and get the normal menu, there should be a few more options.
And these options have consequences aswell as benefits.

These new options would be.
villageaction12_zpsfcdb0da4.jpg

So you pick the "Good" option and get this menu.
villagedecision1good1_zps4c52cc52.jpg

Or you pick the "Bad" options and get this menu.
villagedecision1evil1_zps2be2ad56.jpg

If you pick one of the Good/Bad options, it would just chew up some time, like asif you were in a town and slept at the inn for a little while, or looted and burned a village.
There doesn;t need to be new buildings or less population in the village because of the option.
But the effects of the options would atleast stand, like how the village likes/dislikes you, and adding the prisoners, or if you destroyed it completed to summon a balrog, it would atleast go throught the "looted" time frame to rebuild.
Im not 100% sure how a Guardian would work, but it seems ok, or atleast an avenue for a compromise or a work around.
Im also not sure if a resistance to things could work either, but it doesn;t matter, everything is up for discussion and debate anyway.

Lets say that you pick a bad decision, and you steal some women and children as prisoners.
Then you go to CAMP and use a new option.
camp12_zps8f3e0936.jpg

So you went the evil decision to have the women and children taken from their home, so brainwashing would be the way to go.
And this is where you convert a random person into a mindless pet of some type that you want to build an army with.
And hopefully it would be a new unit that you can upgrade and have multiple options to level them up as.

Alternatively, if you were good, and you captured someone who is brainwashed you could get some Good alignment points by un-brainwashing them.
How they would repay you or join your army or upgrade into something else i have no idea, but it's an option.

Progressing up the Alignments.
These are just placeholders for things that you would unlock as you go.

Things that could affect the territory you own, or things that you could use on villages, etc..
Just general things that could enhance and benefit your alignment choices.

If you were to be a Good aligned character.  (note the indication arrow)
alignmentvillage1good1_zps7c0ac8e4.jpg

If you were to be a Bad aligned character.  (note the indication arrow)
alignmentvillage1evil1_zpsb2d7c280.jpg

None of this stuff is set in stone.
I just wanted to throw out the suggestions for it to be looked at and talked about so if this was something the DEVs and players wanted to see, they could atleast make something alot better than what i can think up.

(pretty sure i nailed all of the spelling mistakes, ima go ahead and post this)

awkwarrd said:
This suggestions is for the GOOD vs EVIL mechanics.
Since there is no global system in the game other than imagination that you can't see other than villages and vassal opinions, with no visual aids.
It's also mostly for immersion and extra things to do, and keeping it simple, while trying to allow people to play how they want to.
(not sure if this can even be done though)
Keep in mind that all ideas within this suggestion are not set in stone, and can be looked at or changed to suit the mechanic suggestion.

There is also an opening to add some new units, some brainwashed units and unbrainwashed units.
Male/female and children - all with an upgrade path of 2 directions, male tend to be on the melee/archer type, female the Magic/healer type, and the children the upgrade to adults as a summoner or something crazy.
And having Good and Evil versions for all of them.

Firstly it starts off with character select.
You pick your:
  • then your father's occupation
  • then what you grew up as
  • then your class
- (remember this spot)
  • then your interest
  • then mounted or on foot
  • then confirmation to ride to your destiny
In there we should get an extra option of what your character is aligned with, in a good-neutral-evil term.
So most likely after the class choice.
This would negate all thoughts of whatever class you picked, is how you should play, then you can pick the way you wish to play for yourself, and even then you can change that style in the game anyway if so wished or the game takes a turn and you can play your character whatever way you want depending on whatever circumstance you prefer at the time.

After that, you get into the game, kill that first guy and talk to the merchant, decide if you want to do his quest or not, then once you exit that into the world you can hit your "Reports" button.
And you should see this.
reports12_zps80f636fd.jpg

After clicking that, you can see this.
alignmentreport12_zpsbef4b427.jpg
Blue =Good
Grey =Neutral
Red  =Evil

This is just a default image to show the gauge.
The numbers are just a placeholder, they can be increased, but the numbers are necessary so you can unlock things you can do for good or for evil.
But i want to stress the importance of the numbers, because this suggestion is based on only getting 1 point for doing an action either way.
So do 1 good thing, get 1 point that would move towards good, do something evil, get a point toward evil.
Once you get to 10 you unlock something really good or really evil.

Every-time you do something that compliments your alignment, that arrow shifts a point int he direction of your choices/decisions.

Now to where this Mechanic would mostly come into affect.
Villages!

Being Good or Being evil would mostly play a roll in the people, so villages, because they are the closest thing you get to a population you can interact with other than battles and merchants.
Towns and Castles are already good enough with migration.

Now say you are running around and you wanted to interact with this town, when you walk up to it and get the normal menu, there should be a few more options.
And these options have consequences aswell as benefits.

These new options would be.
villageaction12_zpsfcdb0da4.jpg

So you pick the "Good" option and get this menu.
villagedecision1good1_zps4c52cc52.jpg

Or you pick the "Bad" options and get this menu.
villagedecision1evil1_zps2be2ad56.jpg

If you pick one of the Good/Bad options, it would just chew up some time, like asif you were in a town and slept at the inn for a little while, or looted and burned a village.
There doesn;t need to be new buildings or less population in the village because of the option.
But the effects of the options would atleast stand, like how the village likes/dislikes you, and adding the prisoners, or if you destroyed it completed to summon a balrog, it would atleast go throught the "looted" time frame to rebuild.
Im not 100% sure how a Guardian would work, but it seems ok, or atleast an avenue for a compromise or a work around.
Im also not sure if a resistance to things could work either, but it doesn;t matter, everything is up for discussion and debate anyway.

Lets say that you pick a bad decision, and you steal some women and children as prisoners.
Then you go to CAMP and use a new option.
camp12_zps8f3e0936.jpg

So you went the evil decision to have the women and children taken from their home, so brainwashing would be the way to go.
And this is where you convert a random person into a mindless pet of some type that you want to build an army with.
And hopefully it would be a new unit that you can upgrade and have multiple options to level them up as.

Alternatively, if you were good, and you captured someone who is brainwashed you could get some Good alignment points by un-brainwashing them.
How they would repay you or join your army or upgrade into something else i have no idea, but it's an option.

Progressing up the Alignments.
These are just placeholders for things that you would unlock as you go.

Things that could affect the territory you own, or things that you could use on villages, etc..
Just general things that could enhance and benefit your alignment choices.

If you were to be a Good aligned character.  (note the indication arrow)
alignmentvillage1good1_zps7c0ac8e4.jpg

If you were to be a Bad aligned character.  (note the indication arrow)
alignmentvillage1evil1_zpsb2d7c280.jpg

None of this stuff is set in stone.
I just wanted to throw out the suggestions for it to be looked at and talked about so if this was something the DEVs and players wanted to see, they could atleast make something alot better than what i can think up.

(pretty sure i nailed all of the spelling mistakes, ima go ahead and post this)

While I think it might be a good idea to implement some of these mechanics (that are not effectively in the game) and D&D uses an alignment system, I like M&B's honor system a lot more than D&D's alignment system.  An example of why I hate the alignment system in D&D (which is actually mentioned in at least one of the DMGs) is that alignment is relative.  Robin Hood (usually considered CG) was fighting King John (usually considered LE) because of the taxes that King John imposed....to pay of the debts of Richard the Lionhearted's crusade and ransom so the English would not become bankrupt.  I like the honor system a lot more because some people care because they are honorable nobles....but most don't.

Im not saying remove the honor system.
And im not saying to change any of the honor system.
In-fact my suggestions has nothing to do with changing those mechanics.

This suggestion would bring even more benefit to your "robin-hood" playstyle, you could help villages.
You can even suggest some Good alignment ideas of something along those lines.
This mechanic could enhance all aspects of a playstyle whether it be good/evil/neutral, while keeping all the original mechanics and leaving everything untouched except for now being visually aided by a gauge and a few more options when doing other things.

But lets not forget this is all fantasy in a sandbox.

Look at the examples of the alignment decisions that you proposed and compare them to current decisions available in the village menu; they line up very well especially the evil ones.  So how is it different then the alignment system?

mercav said:
Look at the examples of the alignment decisions that you proposed and compare them to current decisions available in the village menu; they line up very well especially the evil ones.  So how is it different then the alignment system?
what?

About all the examples are help villagers (which helps long term) or raid villagers (which helps short term).  I would even go as far to say that many of the actions that you proposed to be 'good' should not be because of the mechanics of the game.  One of the reasons Hamas overtook the PA in Gaza is because they had more local support because they did things like building hospitals.  Yet at the same time they were also, and still are, the primary Palestinian terrorist organization.

Edit: I just used that as an example.  I am not interested in discussing modern politics on the web-especially on a sight I actually like  :lol:

I guess you missed the part where i say those are not set in stone and place holders for a discussion to make something real for it.

I don't know why i bother suggesting anything, it won't happen anyway.

1) If it is not possible, with all these great units, I would like to be able to setup for instance golem production at my own town.

This should involve a lot of money, a lot of resources and possibly a quest. So it shouldn't be available till later game, and still perhaps the relations being 25, or maybe even higher to represent the fact the wizard tower is trusting you with this knowledge.

The same with other high end units, someone who after a lot of time and work can give you this units at your own city, and these workmen or recruiters are able to be moved for a cost between cities you own.

I saw it done with the freelancers in the floris mod, where you could pay a certain amount to move them between cities. I think if you add a quest and resources being required you give the player yet another option for gameplay and to advance their own cities, while retaining the balance of having to have high relations, time and cost involved.

2) Liking to play the mercenary role I already miss the saltmine from many mods I must admit! Some way of putting my prisoners to work would be very much appreciated. I do feel it needs some balance, so diminishing returns would make sense if you were to ever build your own slave camp of any kind.

Slaves for the evil players, community servants, prison hard labor or just workmen for the good aligned players.

3) I've seen some magic weapons posted on the forums, keep adding these, they are great goals or achievements to get in game. I'll have more feedback as I play on these.

Thanks for all your efforts, great mod.

EDIT

4) Demon summoning, new skill (for the sake of balance).
Skill based:
5% to 95% chance of summoning a demon or having it break away and attack you on the spot, you personally with your bodyguards.
1 - 5% of inflicting a curse upon yourself, temporary stat or hp penalty.
Reputation loss with the blazing hand and the elves to add further negatives into this, if you wanted one step further the wizards too, forcing the player to pick golems or demons for example, not both.

Difficulty chosen from the camp menu, allowing different types, examples:
Minor - Imp, Hezrous
Normal - Tanar'ri, Dybbuk, Guecubu, Evistros
Major - Hellspawn, Barlgura
Elder - Balor, Glabrezu, Lesser Lords, (Requires Semi rare Resources)
Ancient - Balrog, Obyrith, Ekolid, Demon Prince (Requires rare resources)

You could do this with less tiers of course, more tiers just gives the player and you more control over the settings.
Ancient could require level 15 for example for having a moderate chance.

A couple of rare summoners items which would increase the chance. If you put this mechanic in you can use it for conjuring elementals and such like too, it would not take too much tweaking for good aligned parties.

Morale loss from good living as per usual.

Beginners reference:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demon_(Dungeons_%26_Dragons)

PLEASE
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE
If it has not already been suggested yet, PLEASE consider adding an auto-loot/auto-equip option for companions. That and the desire for more variety of equipment are my only complaints with this mod, as it caters to pretty much everything else I like about the mount and blade modding scene. Do this and you will achieve apotheosis in my eyes.

therex55213 said:
PLEASE
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE
If it has not already been suggested yet, PLEASE consider adding an auto-loot/auto-equip option for companions. That and the desire for more variety of equipment are my only complaints with this mod, as it caters to pretty much everything else I like about the mount and blade modding scene. Do this and you will achieve apotheosis in my eyes.
+ 1 on all accounts. I often find myself thinking it a pain in the behind to equip every companion item by item myself.

Suggestions for the Ranger class.

Mmm.. more of an informational FAQ video for ideas and imagination.

For Assassin Type players

For Sieging without an Army of Rodoks.. or just archers in general.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDy2A2IbanA
What the hell is wrong with the formatting of this forum now.
Everytime i go to use bbcodes it tries to replace it with (size)(/size)  <-- obviously wrong brackets.

And sometimes (font)(/font).. happens alot when using alot of BBcodes and adding youtube videos, not the first video, but multiples, like a censoring thing.

I see more and more and more issues with this forums formatting of things, it's starting to get stupid.

This is what i see when i try to embed 3 youtube videos.
youtubeformatforumsux1_zps575da84c.jpg

Why is there a Youtube Embed limit? that's silly.

Also why is the Spoiler button putting the BBcodes in backwards..

Did the forum admin mess with the settings or something and not know what he was doing?

Have a suggestion about the random spawns and roaming bands of supernatural squads.

Could there be a "Portal to Hell" or a "Damned Door" or something like that added, where those roaming shadows/hell units and undead enemies appear from.
Which is on a new chunk of land that is like a teardrop extending outward from the mainland.
The area is guarded by some really big evil stuff, which would be an epic fight, To either take control of the gate "if playing as evil" or "close the gate" if playing as good.
[list type=decimal]
[*]Closing the gate will have consequences, such as  no more evil roaming bandit spawns.
[*]Taking control of the gate, will be able to cause the evil to attack a specific faction, or all factions, like a plague, declaring war using the faction like a usurper of hell.
[/list]
And then there be attempts by evil type cultists randomly trying to use rituals to summon the banished gate keeper to open the gate again which a good player will have to destroy, or an evil player will have to join or capture or just win so that it lets the evil player to continue to control the gate.

This could be set as a faction, so that the evil player who controls the door could have it's own UI to dictate what that faction is at war with or at peace with.

While it sounds like the Evil player gets more benefits from it.
Maybe it could start a quest.
Where one of the enemies who guarded the gate had a specific item, or a few of them had a specific item.
Which you could turn in at the Blazing hand town, at a random new NPC that stands around in town.
The reward could be a full suit of heavenly armor, with options of being plate/leather/cloth.
It could be an auto quest, and you just have to win the fight, then go speak to someone in blazing hand or somewhere neutral, like the INN.

And the reward for killing the Cultists who try to open the gate again, could be a weapon that is the final set piece to the heavenly armor, with the option of being anything like "1hsword/2hsword/1haxe/2haxe/1hmace/2hmace/daggersDW/staff/bow/polearm"

Then everytime afterward that the cultists try to open the gate, you could get another weapon from the heavenly set.

I say Heavenly set, but it could be named anything, i just use the heavenly name as a reference.

Hey awkwarrd, you do realise that with a crossbow of that size, you'll have an absurd small range and weak power?  :lol: I don't know if Warband's engine can even account for that.

It'd be absurdly silly if a tiny crossbow would result in better shots than a half-a-man sized siege crossbow.

You can change the specific weapon types shot speed and reload speed.
It wouldn't be the games engine you need to worry about, because you can just go edit the weapons code to be however you want.

A hand weapon like that would most likely be for close range and assassin type stuff, with no reload like a repeater.
The idea would be say, an Assassin type player, has finished launching his arrows or bolts into the army, and has decided to engage in close combat, or the enemy has managed to get close enough that you need to melee.

So you the player switches to the melee weapon, and while fighting he finds himself surrounded by a handful of enemies approaching, he then changes to his hand xbow and headshots all of them and continues to go back to the battle.

When i said "ideas and imagination at the top" i meant that, try to use the brain power to incorporate it into gameplay without getting too involved into how the games enging would work with it, especially if you don't know much about modding the game.

IIRC, you can edit the speed of a projectile. Crossbow bolts go really fast, but if you were to give a handcrossbow the speed of say, a javelin, it'll seriously impact the range it'll go. I think it's a pretty good fit.

As for multiple shots... you do realise that a repeating crossbow has to be big? There's not enough space on a onehanded crossbow to fit in a repeating mechanism.

Does it really?
In your imagination.. an assassin doesn't know any special skills the could make a close combat repeating 1handed crossbow?

Crossbow bolts go as fast as you want them to go.
Even the chinese had repeating crossbows that were easy to make and lightweight and were poison tipped, and could almost be used 1handed, while remaining faster than any projectile at that time period.

I think you need to go watch some videos on it  to open your mind, sounds very boxed in.
Then again it doesn;t matter, this mod is getting overhauled and what we say has no impact.
I just wanted to suggest other class things so that every class had multiple things to look forward to with multiple play styles, or else we get more Clerics with AOE Fear, while a cleric gets uncontrollable undead.

- I would increase the cost for the mages a litle more, during s siege they are very very powerfull
Especialy high level mages, well as soon as they have fireball. the pric should be 200 to 250.

- Charisma should reduce the penalty for opposed factions/races members in the group
a Charisma of 30 sould give a +10 and so cancel the hatred between elves and drows.

- The Battle fields are a litle too small.

- The usual diplomacy stuff would be outstanding for this mod but you certainly know that already. :smile:

- And finally this mod deserve it's own world.

- Are the AD&D magical items for ever gone?
They should still be in game but very rare.

I would increase the cost for the mages a litle more, during s siege they are very very powerfull
Especialy high level mages, well as soon as they have fireball. the pric should be 200 to 250.

Mages will have their own nerfing in the next version:
- all troops will require a lot more battles for leveling up (twice as many, if memory serves right).
- Fireballs will cost twice more magic points so they won't be as overwhelming.
- Magic point regeneration will be slower.

- Are the AD&D magical items for ever gone?
They should still be in game but very rare.

I haven't removed a single magical item from the mod. You'll just need to look for them at the Four Ways Inn.

Back
Top Bottom