Suggestions about game mechanics

Users who are viewing this thread

Leopard27 said:
I'm not sure if this is a game mechanic or not? But maybe for the meantime, can you please make some sort of obligatory quest or some sort of purpose when playing this game which is not just conquering cities or conquering towns or etc.
For example, as an undead, maybe i will need to raise a certain number of dead and then go to certain area and ravage their place or something like that. At least give us some sort of purpose aside from roaming around freely. Because that's literally what i felt from playing this mod. I just go there, raise my level, raise undead, roam around aimlessly not knowing what to do :sad:
Honestly I think we are going to need to wait until Bannerlord for a good quest system, at least I hope it will be improved greatly. I find that to be Warband's largest weakness and it is not easy for modders to make a whole lot better. Custom quests can be added but they will still feel very much like the previous quests you are used to you with a different flavor text (there are exceptions obviously). Warband is all about the sandbox however so I think you need to try to set goals for yourself and do some self-immersion. Have you ever played D&D or a video game based off the series? You can make a back story for your character and actually role play by living and fighting how your character would. Also, there are many companions in this mod so you have a lot of options to play with on that front.

I would recommend trying out Viking Conquest story mode campaign if you want to experience something with set goals, make sure to check out the balance mod if you do.

I’m not sure if this was in your plans but I feel their should be temples for all the deities for the clerics. I also feel they’re should be fewer deities so that tie up or pair up with the different kingdoms so it seems like they have a certain dedication to them or history with them.

dradeslord56 said:
I’m not sure if this was in your plans but I feel their should be temples for all the deities for the clerics. I also feel they’re should be fewer deities so that tie up or pair up with the different kingdoms so it seems like they have a certain dedication to them or history with them.

That'd be nice. I don't have time to do it, but it would be nice. Right now I lost my monthly stipend so I don't have time for this. I can still probably get a late night call center gig but I wont have any energy to volunteer modding. I still owe a man week to Warsword Conquest whenever I get back on my feet again. So fantasies need to meet reality.

Last edited:
Akesh the Cursed said:
gsanders said:
Right now I lost my monthly stipend
Sorry to hear that, I hope you get back on your feet soon.

I have a plan to get back in the groove, but I'll have to see how it plays out.  I'd like to get even a little more done before hanging up my hat.

EDIT:  Thinking about it some more, I'm leaning towards cleaning up my open source Pho_II, hiding over at Rigale forum, by exporting some of the code used here and not exporting anything made by Guspav, and neither exporting anything really proprietary to me.  I can export some of my tricks and a clean Diplomacy, several races, multi-racial dialogs, prejudice, and some of my tricks.  I can make something similar to NPC necromancy for all the people that hammer me to write such - I won't, but they can.  Maybe the paypal aspect is first stripping all models that object to reuse for tips and then focusing ONLY on the code, in a "how do you do this" sort of commentary.  Then at least I'm earning tip money by teaching, instead of seeming to profit off other people's work.

I did a HUGE amount of changes, but its all hidden.  I can open up only my part of the code without asking anyone else, and if I control what gets exported I can filter anything that gives too big an advantage to someone I dislike, while helping people I like by giving them a clean base and heads up how to do certain tricks.  It could work right around the end of this month, and gives me an excellent chance to review build v158 for things like sea travel.

--
  In other news, I finished cleaning up bandit camps and bandit spawns for Warsword Conquest.  How to do that for a large number of factions and how to make a good data model is a lost art, so it could be useful to set maybe 10 factions and show how some things are done, without giving up something really cutting edge like my resurrection scheme.  Although someone else had a simple resurrection; my way was done completely different.  I can put a little magic, not what is now in Pho_II, and not Guspav's magic, but something.  Pho_II was only a 3 week project; I think it needs another 3-5 weeks to be solid and stable, but I work fast.  Then at least everyone that wants has access to the source and they can do as they wish, at least to the extent of an LSP license.

It would be a good way to sort through real coders from "idea men", so that both I and Guspav knew who really had the mojo before considering them for Phantasy.  Also if I follow the existing Phantasy layout it becomes easy to hop code in both ways over time, like I had to rebuild the sequence at Warsword Conquest (which is why its a month long job for Nameless Warrior to check my changes -- everything is moved, which complicates WinMerge.)

Well, at least this way everyone pressing to make changes can be challenged with a "OK, you try it and get back to me.  Anything you build successfully can be moved across with minimal effort.  In the mean time you can see how its done.  Fairest deal I can make and not leeching anything from anybody.

gsanders said:
Akesh the Cursed said:
gsanders said:
Right now I lost my monthly stipend
Sorry to hear that, I hope you get back on your feet soon.

I have a plan to get back in the groove, but I'll have to see how it plays out.  I'd like to get even a little more done before hanging up my hat.

EDIT:  Thinking about it some more, I'm leaning towards cleaning up my open source Pho_II, hiding over at Rigale forum, by exporting some of the code used here and not exporting anything made by Guspav, and neither exporting anything really proprietary to me.  I can export some of my tricks and a clean Diplomacy, several races, multi-racial dialogs, prejudice, and some of my tricks.  I can make something similar to NPC necromancy for all the people that hammer me to write such - I won't, but they can.  Maybe the paypal aspect is first stripping all models that object to reuse for tips and then focusing ONLY on the code, in a "how do you do this" sort of commentary.  Then at least I'm earning tip money by teaching, instead of seeming to profit off other people's work.

I did a HUGE amount of changes, but its all hidden.  I can open up only my part of the code without asking anyone else, and if I control what gets exported I can filter anything that gives too big an advantage to someone I dislike, while helping people I like by giving them a clean base and heads up how to do certain tricks.  It could work right around the end of this month, and gives me an excellent chance to review build v158 for things like sea travel.

--
  In other news, I finished cleaning up bandit camps and bandit spawns for Warsword Conquest.  How to do that for a large number of factions and how to make a good data model is a lost art, so it could be useful to set maybe 10 factions and show how some things are done, without giving up something really cutting edge like my resurrection scheme.  Although someone else had a simple resurrection; my way was done completely different.  I can put a little magic, not what is now in Pho_II, and not Guspav's magic, but something.  Pho_II was only a 3 week project; I think it needs another 3-5 weeks to be solid and stable, but I work fast.  Then at least everyone that wants has access to the source and they can do as they wish, at least to the extent of an LSP license.

It would be a good way to sort through real coders from "idea men", so that both I and Guspav knew who really had the mojo before considering them for Phantasy.  Also if I follow the existing Phantasy layout it becomes easy to hop code in both ways over time, like I had to rebuild the sequence at Warsword Conquest (which is why its a month long job for Nameless Warrior to check my changes -- everything is moved, which complicates WinMerge.)

Well, at least this way everyone pressing to make changes can be challenged with a "OK, you try it and get back to me.  Anything you build successfully can be moved across with minimal effort.  In the mean time you can see how its done.  Fairest deal I can make and not leeching anything from anybody.
it's really good to know, thanks for keeping us informed about everything going even when it's about your personal real world struggles. As a D&D player and DM I appreciate you taking your time in this mod and warsword. Sending good vibes your way.

Mace to Face said:
Okay.  I wanted to RP an old D&D undead Paladin I had, but I could do it with a cleric I guess.
To be honest, the paladins in Phantasy are very much old style.

I like that, old fart that I am.  I think Paladins should be lawful good, and serve gods that consider undead an abomination.  If you want to play a evil character with divine magic, clerics are fine.  To be honest, in Phantasy, a low honor paladin is not really worth playing, i.e. has little to recommend him over a cleric of a specific God, or even a generalized cleric.  And considering that evil races distrust paladins, you should just stick to clerics. 

You may try to cajole GSanders to set the secondary cleric class for necromancers to an Evil god, though.  It may make your life easier.

Hello again.
Just a little something for the quality of life:
Some of the spells don't equip on horseback (fireball, lightning bolt and some others).
If their tooltip noted that I'd be less confused.
Yes I am a detailfanatic and yes I understand if this gets a low priority (if it comes at all).
Have a nice day.

tofudog said:
Hello again.
Just a little something for the quality of life:
Some of the spells don't equip on horseback (fireball, lightning bolt and some others).
If their tooltip noted that I'd be less confused.
Yes I am a detailfanatic and yes I understand if this gets a low priority (if it comes at all).
Have a nice day.

originally all the area of effect spells would crash to desktop if cast by horseback so they are blocked.  I fixed what caused that but decided its fine with me if horseback is for cleric, paladin, and single target mage spells.

I feel like wars are far too static, day 250 and the wars are still evil vs good and many of the nations doing nothing at all or at most declaring war on a far away nation and pillaging.  Shouldn't the human nations still fight each other?  Shouldn't nations at least try and expand their borders? 

Mace to Face said:
My D&D character was Lawful Good, I have never played anything past 3rd edition. I just thought it would be a fun thing to try in this mod.
My favorite is 3.5 but AD&D 2nd edition will always have a special memory for me.
Mace to Face said:
I feel like wars are far too static, day 250 and the wars are still evil vs good and many of the nations doing nothing at all or at most declaring war on a far away nation and pillaging.  Shouldn't the human nations still fight each other?  Shouldn't nations at least try and expand their borders?
They should after 200 days or so, give it some more time and then report back. It's possible they are not at day 250 for you if you are running an older version.

I started D&D right before 2nd edition came out and played 1st for a couple years before getting into 2nd, because those were the books we had.  But, yea, 2nd edition is my nerdy middle school and high school years, so it's pretty special.  3.5 is a lot of fun too.

Fond D&D memory from v1.0:
I was a 1st level halfling rouge who successfully sneaked up on a 15th level sleeping wizard. His AC was still so low (remember "THAC0" & lower AC was better days? :razz:) that even though he was sound asleep it was impossible for my 1st level to hit him! :facepalm: Also, that was my first rules argument. Didn't work. :sad:

Needless to say, that character didn't last long. :???:

Found this in the Q&A section, but it's probably better here:
Tuidjy said:
gsanders said:
Tuidjy said:
On the other hand, I have been unhappy with the maiden selection many times.  The number of ladies should be similar to the number of lords - wives, daughters, love interests - they make the game come alive.
I do kind of prefer a better selection in kingdom ladies for wife as a companion.
Exactly!  A nice little improvement would be to place a bit more variety in maidens' stats and skills.  They are a bit too similar, and very dainty. 

I have no problem that most of them have Power Strike 0 and Weapon Mastery 0, but most should have decent riding (they're noble) athletics and ironskin (much better nutrition than peasants) and some races should have resistance and magical training.  It's not so much to make them better companions, although that's nice as well.  It's to make them look like adult women, as opposed to developmentally retarded wallflowers.

I'll add to that by saying it would make sense to put slightly better combat skills (maybe ST, too?) for the "Adventurous" personality. Even w/o any changes, I really like the "wife as companion" changes.

Next update can you increase money merchants have by 10 or so. Late game when i have 10 trade and hunt down death knights and demons i have problems finding people to sell to. At the experimental level of diplomacy-trade they have at most 2.5k. ON that note add the smith for changing quality of items(reinforced, lordly etc). I noticed that the twiglight set doesnt have quality levels, it is much easier to use a lordly gauntlet 13 armor than the twiglight one with 10. Same with the boots, lordly pair has 40 leg and 9 body armor, but the twiglight boots have only 35 leg armor.

It is quite fun to play as a necromancer-priest but I recomend to add a ritual to summon/make death knights and demons, also add invisible helmets to the demons.

All that above are some complains and recomendations, everything else is quite nice. I can go on about diferent ideas mechanics and so on all year (5 days more give or take.) but considering i probably wont lift a finger to help with the mod, other than some testing, you might ignore them. I wont care as long as you gsanders keep doing an awsome job with this mod.

P.S- Will you be able to make rpoper summoners whith the code you got paid with for your work at wasworn conquest?

When i first started playing Phantasy i choose the path of Might over Magic, i chose that because i was importing a high level character and it would be near impossible to develop magic skill without cheating. Well straight to the point, i have mages and magic users of all stripes in my party but their utility is limited because i can't give them orders as far as spells go, i would love it if there was a set of command where you could access spells for your mages and tell them what to cast next, it could work both in and outside of combat, for example if you had necromancers in your party you could tell them to summon undead for you.

Back
Top Bottom