[Suggestion]More Helmets

Users who are viewing this thread

EdwardWellcraft

Sergeant Knight
SO this has been brought up before but it looks like it doesn't have it's own thread. Simply put, certain classes need more helmets. The Swadians get like 6 different helmets to choose from, while the Vaegirs only get the spiked helmet for infantry and cavalry, or the nomad cap for archers. The Vaegir infantry and cavalry need some kind of cheaper helmet as their only single helmet is on the expensive side. Everyone should have access to a helmet in the 100 gold price range or so.  The Nords also suffer from this as they only have access to the Nordic helmet. A good helmet, but expensive. Most people seem to completely ignore the helmets for these teams as the only ones they can buy are expensive.

The footman's helmet is generic enough that everyone could have access to it, and you can never go wrong with some leather helmets or something of the sort. We also have the spangenhelm for the Nords. There are a lot of choices, just none of them are in game.

Nords could easily have acces to the padded leather cap and the nasalhelm or whatever.  something with 10, 20 , and 40.

Skot the Sanguine said:
Ya Nords need a Spangelhelm.

Maille Coif for Swadia, Rhodok, Nords, and maybe Vaegir! :smile:

Nope, Nords need Norman Helmet with Nasal without spagens. Oh, and Nord cavalry with Mail Coifs.

Yes. yes, and yes. Nords and Vaegirs really need more helmet choice. Their infantry helmets are far too expensive to be getting early in the game. As for the archers, they definitely shouldn't have great helmets (edit: not the item, but helmets that are great, just to be sure nobody gets confused), but the lack of variety is rather annoying.

yes to coifs! olo woudlnt wear any armor, but coifs were the coolest helm in singleplayer

Skull cap, Nasal helmet, and maybe mail coif would be good for Nords.

Leather warrior cap, footman's helmet, and perhaps a bascianet (sp) would be good for Vaegirs.

AoC said:
Skot the Sanguine said:

Nope, Nords need Norman Helmet with Nasal without spagens. Oh, and Nord cavalry with Mail Coifs.

As long as it has the nasal guard I would be happy.  Nothing against the style, but the goggle-helm was never my fashion.

Vaegir Archers currently only get the metal Nomad Cap, which for some reason offers less defense than a padded coif.
I think nomad caps should be buffed to somewhere between 20-25 armor, and be made more expensive, since it is a metal helmet.
Also, the Vaegir Archers should get Fur Hats as a cheaper alternative, since more helmet variety is always good.

Vaegir Spearmen should get the Steppe Cap* as an extra cheaper helmet.

Nords could use some new nasal helmets.

*I'm not talking about the leather steppe caps used by Khergits.

Helmets do the most to distinguish factions and players from each other.  Whether or not they're an important armor component, (I seldom wear one) they're a great way to give each faction a distinct style and allow more outfit customization.

Skot the Sanguine said:
AoC said:
Skot the Sanguine said:

As long as it has the nasal guard I would be happy.  Nothing against the style, but the goggle-helm was never my fashion.

Googles were out of fashion in the period anyway. I dislike them too. Nasal guard all the way !

I agree with this suggestion 100%. The amount of helmets some factions have access to is ridiculously low. I doubt many people would have gone to battle without helmets in real life anyway; It's like signing your own death wish.

vaegir_hats.png

Left to Right: fur hat, steppe cap, nomad cap, spiked helmet.
These could be the tier 1, tier 2, and tier 3 helmets for Vaegirs, respectively. The first is purely fur, the second is leather, and the third is made out of metal. The top tier helmet for Vaegirs would then be the Spiked helmet.

Some suggested details regarding the helmets:
Fur Hat: 5-10 armor (Archer)
Steppe Cap: 10-18 armor (Archer, Spearman, Horseman)
Nomad Cap: 18-25 armor (Archer, Spearman, Horseman)
Spiked Helmet: 38 armor (Spearman, Horseman)

Just by making these few changes, viable helmet selection would increase considerably.

I can second all of that for the Vaegirs. Now Nords just need more helmets. I'd give them the same leather cap and skullcap their archers get, followed by a Norman style nasal helmet (http://www.swordsandarmor.com/images/Norman_Helmet-3.jpg) and then followed by the Nordic helmet.

I wouldn't mind seeing more new helmets for everyone. More of everything I say. But don't give proper helmets to multiple factions like in native. I personally prefer armour to be more specific, not shared as it gets confusing sometimes. 

Back
Top Bottom