[Suggestion]Cavalry Swords for Horsemen, and daggers/knives for small spaces

Are you in favor of this suggestion?

• Yes

Votes: 82 93.2%
  • No

Votes: 6 6.8%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Throwing knives are a bit too fantastic for a game like this.  I'd rather just have daggers, so long as they're extremely weak and cannot block.

With the addition of wall collisions, many larger weapons are very unusable in close quarters, so I'd like to bump this thread. Daggers would be incredibly useful for fighting in narrow enclosures such as sheds or the stairways of castle 3.

Also giving horsemen some cavalry swords would be neato.  :smile:

Scientia Excelsa said:
Throwing knives are a bit too fantastic for a game like this.  I'd rather just have daggers, so long as they're extremely weak and cannot block.

I think you mean they are to much fantasy not they are so fantastic, but anyway. We do have them in singleplayer so I don't see why we wouldn't have them in here other then the fact they would suck against anyone wearing armor.

Kevlar said:
Scientia Excelsa said:

I think you mean they are to much fantasy not they are so fantastic, but anyway. We do have them in singleplayer so I don't see why we wouldn't have them in here other then the fact they would suck against anyone wearing armor.

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=define%3A+fantastic&btnG=Google+Search&meta=&**=f&oq=

OT: I love both ideas. Daggers and cavalry swords.
Hard to say how useful daggers would be, but definitely cool.

I support both of these ideas. Daggers would be great for archers and confined combat. Longer swords for cavalry would make being a horsewomen more viable and less frustrating. Maybe cavalry swords would encourage more varied combat instead of just lance, lance, lance.

I've noticed that the new Vaegir Horseman's elite scimitar has 103 reach and is very fast. Considering that Swadians are supposed to have superb heavy cavalry, I think Swadian men at arms should get some equally long cavalry swords. Also, the melee weapons of footmen are getting longer and longer, but one handed cavalry swords have remained the same. (great long axe anyone?) The longer sword meshes in the game files would be quite suitable for the horsemen.

Also, I was recently playing castle 3 on siege, only to discover that generally any weapon longer than 60 reach would frequently get stuck in the stairway near the gatehouse. I think that introducing daggers would be quite useful in those scenarios.

Some dagger/knife designs from the maciejowski bible. The 2nd and 5th image seem to have particularly long blades.
otm34va&bdetail1.gif
otm29vc&ddetail2.gif

otm29vc&ddetail1.gif
otm21radetail1.gif
otm35vbdetail2.gif

otm12ra&bdetail3.gif
otm12ra&bdetail4.gif

And a table knife:
otm34va&bdetail8.gif

I would welcome a longer cavalrysword for mounted combat, especially if it gives horse(wo)men a good alternative for the lance(which is really the only weapon they use right now). And if I'm not mistaken there is also an 'arabian sword' among those unused items.

As for daggers for archers, I dont mind them if they are added as an option but I do not wish to have them as standard weapon. As a vaegir archer you are already at a disadvantage not being able to stab, giving them a shorter weapon that cant block is 'a nerf too far'. I'd rather see the vaegir archer get that arabian sword.

As for those who have a problem swinging a scimi or nordic sword in a castle, no offense but its not the weapons fault.

Vermin said:
As for daggers for archers, I dont mind them if they are added as an option but I do not wish to have them as standard weapon. As a vaegir archer you are already at a disadvantage not being able to stab, giving them a shorter weapon that cant block is 'a nerf too far'.

As for those who have a problem swinging a scimi or nordic sword in a castle, no offense but its not the weapons fault.
Daggers could be given as an option for all troops. As for "problems swinging in a castle," it's not specifically the castle, but certain hallways. It's not due to skill; in some hallways, it's simply physically impossible to swing a weapon, due to a low ceiling and narrow passages. Those areas force players to use stabs, but some troops do not even have stabbing weapons, and are helpless in those scenarios. I'd argue that the current wall detection system is a bit oversensitive, and the option for a short dagger would be beneficial, for tight spots, particularly to troops unable to use stabbing attacks.

After playing as the Sarranids I have to say longer cavalry swords would be a great addition to other factions as well.  The sarranids have a beautiful 105 reach sword that makes sword and board combat nothing but enjoyable.  Their manuverable horses help too.  I don't see why all horseman short swords can't be switched for some awesome 102 reach weapons.  Slow them down 1 or 2 points more than regular swords and you are set. 

By the way do the vaegir horsemen get access to the elite scimitar?  This is the perfect cavalry sword for them at least.  Rhodoks are probably fine with just the one-handed chopper.  Shorter but more damage.

Swadians, Khergits, and Nords could use a longer cavalry sword though.

Vaegir horsemen do indeed get the elite scimitar.  I love the Sarranid cavalry sword!  I went 8 and 0 with it one round, before the map got polled off.  :razz:  Catching someone under the chin with that puppy is sooo satisfying.

Night Ninja said:
It's a tad underpowered though. A sword like that should really cut a lot better.

I can one-shot anybody in light armor with it, and head hit will one-shot someone regardless of armor, so I'll have to disagree with you.  The only way it's sub-par is when used on foot, which makes sense for balance reasons.  Even then, the awesome reach makes it dangerous.

There has been a lot of good progress on the cavalry sword front.
Vaegirs=Elite Scimitar(Awesome!)
Rhodoks=Military Cleaver(High Damage Average Length)
Sarranids=Sarranid Cavalry Sword(Average Damage Longest Length)
Khergits=Heavy Sabre(Decent Damage Average Length)
*could maybe use a long sabre though the heavy sabre isn't as damaging as the military cleaver.

Swadians and Nords are still lacking.

Swadians=Heavy Bastard Sword(24.6cut damage used one-handed slow attack)
                  or Sword (Average Damage Average Reach)
Nords=Nordic War Sword(Average Damage Average Reach)

For Nords I would suggest a similar weapon to the rhodok military cleaver.  The old one-handed fighting axe from native would work nicely.  It had 90 length, 90 speed, and 30 damage in native but it was a low-end weapon there.  An updated warband version could have 34 damage, 90 speed, and 90 length.  This would make it the shortest of the cav specific weapons but the damage and shield bonus would make up for it.

For Swadians the penalty of using a hand-and-half weapon from horseback could be lessened to -15% speed and damage instead of the 33% two-handed penalty.  This would put the heavy bastard sword at 31.45 damage and 82 speed when used from horseback.  I think the -33% penalty is a bit harsh for a hand and a half weapon from horseback.
Alternatively give them a long version of an arming sword.

the only thing i dont like sword+cav is that they have an incredible amount of invisible reach. If the devs removed it, and made everything to an appropriate length, then specific cavalry swords would fine, otherwise no.

That is an animation problem.  Cavalry needs to lean into their swings to eliminate invisible reach.  Currently if there is a guy sitting in front of their horse they don't lean forward to swing at him.

Back
Top Bottom