Succession Game (Pandabomber's turn until Oct. 8 12:12pm)

Users who are viewing this thread

Succession Games are games played by multiple people, one after another, in succession. So, 1 person starts a character, plays it, uploads the save (very simple) and someone else picks it up and plays. I've done it before with limited success but that little bit of success was pretty fun for all 3 of us involved. PoP and it's devoted fans seem more inclined to cooperation, however, so I thought I'd try it again. The original idea - pretty much exactly the same - came from here but has been amended with ideas from here.

Rules:
1) Take this as seriously or sillyously as you like
2) Each turn = 72 RL hours or until you post it up. I will be editing the title of this thread to show who's turn it is and when it is up in forum-time (which is what timezone?). If someone posts up and I haven't updated the thread title or PM'd you and it's your turn, go for it. I'll catch up.
3) If you want to be added to the list of eligible players, just say so and I'll add you on. When your turn comes up, you'll have 24 hours to respond (you will be notified in PM) before you get kicked to the back of the list and the next player gets a shot. If you can't do it now, but can in a few days, say so and you'll be bumped back a slot or two instead of all the way to the end.
4) Currently we are keeping it linear meaning 1 person at a time, wait for your turn. Once we see how this goes we might open it up to allow parallel episodes and multiple realities but we'll see.
5) Once we run out of volunteers, we start the list over again. New players are welcomed at any time but will be added to the list just behind the current player.
6) Write a little, write a lot, I don't care but be sure to have some fun with it. Screen shots are appreciated but not madatory.

I've already started: The character's name is Siglad, he blew almost all of his early money on a Mettenhiem Dueling sword (promptly used it with great success on a drunken jerk) and some sellswords. It's day 2 and he's level 2 thanks to taking out some sort of Ravenstern fella for 435 xp in a little Fierdsvain-Ravenstern scrap.  :grin:

Here's the upload: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=BOCCNH9Z

Oh yeah,  :twisted: and he has Lord Stephan in custody! Went into the battle alone, came out with 5700 denars (at least) worth of Ravenstern nobility!

Current turn list:
Lokloklok (x1)
XSevSpreeX
Pandabomber
HUtH

Chapter List:

Chapter    AuthorDays
1 Ogrecorps    1-2
2 Lokloklok?

Here is the first effort but I think Blackfish and I scared everyone off so I'm keeping this one simple for now. I'll be adding a PoP chapter maybe.

Lokloklok said:
Is he unmounted? If so i would like a turn, but i don't know where to put the save file.
I would assume in your M&B Warband Savegames folder which is in your documents. Put it in the PoP [insert version here]. Although everyone that plays this will have to be playing 3.42 probably. As soon as one person with 3.42 uploads it I don't think it'll work for anyone playing an earlier version.

I've seen this kind of thing before, the best example being the story of the fortress Boatmurdered in Dwarf Fortress.
http://lparchive.org/Dwarf-Fortress-Boatmurdered/

Of course, an M&B game is sandboxxy enough that we can pretty much do whatever we want with our characters, and make we can create stories of tragedy and triumph, and of grim warriors and moronic bandits. If you want to do a "succession game" the right way, we'll need to have a list of people that will play and then send the saved game around. Just don't get too attached to the character.

Not much happened except hiring off a few more men, sneaking into the city of marelons to deliver ale and losing some men to vanskerry.

Diary of siglad, day three.  A-lot of thing happened today. I snuck into marleons to deliver some ale and lost some men to the vanskerry! My horse got exhausted so i walked all day and i didnt even get to battle! Someday soon everyone shall know of siglad and shall fear my name. Of course most of my troops right now have clubs staffs and a sickle or two for weapons but soon i shall train them into beasts of manslaughter and lifelong devotion. Morale is a bit shaky now as i repeatedly had to sacrifice men for the group. OOPS!

Save is here http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HHA9DYTK

I think savegame file should be sent by PM to someone who would like to participate? Now everyone can get the file and there may be few parallel games.

HUtH said:
I think savegame file should be sent by PM to someone who would like to participate? Now everyone can get the file and there may be few parallel games.

Not necessarily. In the DF community the consensus is just a turn list is needed. Aka I was second turn so -MBPLAYER1256- could be third ect. We just need the turn list to be known and posted on the first post.

:grin:

I'm pretty pleased that you guys have taken to this so quickly! As for a turn list I'm fine with going in the order of posts:

Lokloklok
XSevSpreeX
Pandabomber
HUtH

Of course, only Lok actually said he wanted to do it and he already did it so if the rest of you do or do not want a turn go ahead and say so.

Now, that is to keep things linear and give the character only one future but I've figured out a system for allowing parallel episodes so if that comes to pass, worry not! Just post, let us know it is a parallel episode and which save file you started from and I'll keep them organized!

Plus, that way more people can play and the character's story can go more places. I started him with 1h sword, shield, lance, and a 1300 denar 2h sword. I think it'd be pretty interesting to see him end up with a few different configurations all running parallel to each other like 1 2h infantry, a horse archer, a charismatic leader, etc. With the very basic and pretty decent start I made he can kinda go anywhere you want to take him.

Going with "parallel" episodes kind of defeats the whole purpose of doing this Boatmurdered style. There is only one character, and only one path that we put him on, and each person has the freedom to do whatever the hell he/she wants with the character. Then the next person does whatever he/she wants, etc.
It's more for a hilarious lolfest than to take seriously with the endgame objectives in mind.

Pandabomber said:
Going with "parallel" episodes kind of defeats the whole purpose of doing this Boatmurdered style. There is only one character, and only one path that we put him on, and each person has the freedom to do whatever the hell he/she wants with the character. Then the next person does whatever he/she wants, etc.
It's more for a hilarious lolfest than to take seriously with the endgame objectives in mind.
Alright, you've convnced me. It'll be funner/funnier if we all keep on the same linear path so that is what I am officially encouraging.

So line up and state your interest, people! How does 1 turn = 3 RL days sound? Play any amount in-game but post up by the 72nd hour! If you want to write a nice narrative, knock yourself out, we'll all appreciate it. If you want to leave it short and to the point like my beginning that's fine too.

Since I imagine we will be getting fewer players than it takes to come anywhere near the finish of the game when the list runs out we'll just start over again.

Sound good?

My only worry is that with a game that is generally more serious than dwarves getting killed by elephants and committing suicide from depression because their buddies got killed by elephants it might not be the lolfest we are hoping for.

It'll be just fine if we're telling it from the perspective of a regular person trying to make it in the world, not the future king of Pendor. It's unfortunate we won't have a project "**** the World" that spills lava onto the continent as well.

Sounds good then. I expect naked barfights and banditry during our PC's progression, as well as whatever else people feel like doing. It'll feel like an episode of "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" every switch off. I'm definitely up for this myself, rules used in Boatmurdered were implied, so it's no different here. We should leave this up and bump it for a day or two to see if anyone else is interested.

I can think of  ways for !!FUN!! to be had  "Can anyone explain to me why we are deep in enemy fierdsvain territory with 22 farmers and a stock of food that will only last a day?"

Lokloklok said:
I can think of  ways for !!FUN!! to be had  "Can anyone explain to me why we are deep in enemy fierdsvain territory with 22 farmers and a stock of food that will only last a day?"
You forgot to be naked and on foot too.

New game! See how thoroughly you can screw the next person! No camping next to large armies and uploading the save, though!

Just kidding! I might make him into a nekked berserker though next time I get the chance... Will have to get Agility and athletics up pretty high...

If i ever get around to another turn im doing all my stuff on foot. Seems im one of the few that prefers it. Thats what the my horse was exhausted line was about.

That'd be something different and possibly funnier if we all would play on foot, IMHO... Difficult but the hero is then hard as ****.
Just a suggestion :grin:

Alright, I done did it and now proudly present: Nekked Steel von Bonkanoggin. AGI 45, Athletics 10.

2011100500004.jpg

I've started a new thread for this succession adventure because Siglad might get a following, I don't know, so I didn't want to completely replace him.

To be clear, this thread is still alive so long as you guys want to play him.

Back
Top Bottom