[Sub-mod]1866: Western Mod - For a few years more

Users who are viewing this thread

Hello there! The mod for the original has been inactive, for some time now. We are working on a Warband port/submod (basically, a completely new mod, but since we are using parts of the old asset, we are required to label it a sub-mod).

Try messaging the original poster.
This initial link does not work: https://drive.google.com/file/d/194iBbXTeHqwc1O0o8vwAvAjCAzzEG0Wl/view?usp=sharing

Hello there! The mod for the original has been inactive, for some time now. We are working on a Warband port/submod (basically, a completely new mod, but since we are using parts of the old asset, we are required to label it a sub-mod).
Hi, thanks for the answer, I will be waiting for the transfer of the mod to Warband. But is there a way to download your submod now?

I'm talking about the version for Mount & Blade

Any word as to when it will come out? Very excited

Hi, thanks for the answer, I will be waiting for the transfer of the mod to Warband. But is there a way to download your submod now?

I'm talking about the version for Mount & Blade
I'll upload it as soon as I can find some time, I apologize for the inconvenience.

Any word as to when it will come out? Very excited
Difficult to say. The mod, as far as being playable and suitable for a first version, is ready, except the scenes. Neither tocan nor I can make scenes, and so, we have a problem there.

So far, I ported and converted the original mod's system, for city scenes. That means that each town uses just one big scene, and each different mission template uses the same scene, but with different spawn points; the only different scenes are the interior "lord hall" scenes, but I can do those, and in fact I have a couple different ones. It is a good system, and it works, pretty much without any flaw I could find.
In turn, that means we have only 3 scenes for the 14 "western" towns, the 3 scenes from the original mod. We have moved the setting from the Texas-Mexico border to a county in Ohio, somewhere, just a month or so after the Civil War ended. Still a semi-fictional setting. This enables us to have a nice setting with seasonal shaders, have a CSA "remnant" faction etc. In terms of concept and evnironemtns, think the Pale Rider, High Plains Drifter and Josey Wales.
But also, we need more western type towns, and also a couple of Indians, if it's possible. Currently, the Indian scenes are not ideal, because a) we lack scenes for them (longhouses and walled villages, in our setting, not teepees) and b) they use scenes from the 1755 mod. I am not really comfortable with that, and it was done mostly to have something other than Native.

The good news are that we have forts and villages covered. :razz:

Honestly? Since the mod takes place in just one county (I went for a very Red Dead feeling), there shouldn't be any huge cities, metropolis and such. The basic concept is one main street, with buildings on either side and forming a Π.
The Indian towns have even less hassle (if one knows what they're doing with the scene editor, unlike us :razz:).
The only "requirements", as such, are to have one "lord's hall entrance", a saloon (and we have a looooot of read props for those) and to take note of the spawn points. It's basically what tocan and I cannot do, really.
The sieges use the exact same scenes, so again, just the spawn points needed and nothing else.

Are you interested in helping? if so, I can send the mod files as soon as I'm home, plus the "research" and concept art for the scenes. Which, again, isn't anything complex, but it helps to have a reference?

Honestly? Since the mod takes place in just one county (I went for a very Red Dead feeling), there shouldn't be any huge cities, metropolis and such. The basic concept is one main street, with buildings on either side and forming a Π.
The Indian towns have even less hassle (if one knows what they're doing with the scene editor, unlike us :razz:).
The only "requirements", as such, are to have one "lord's hall entrance", a saloon (and we have a looooot of read props for those) and to take note of the spawn points. It's basically what tocan and I cannot do, really.
The sieges use the exact same scenes, so again, just the spawn points needed and nothing else.

Are you interested in helping? if so, I can send the mod files as soon as I'm home, plus the "research" and concept art for the scenes. Which, again, isn't anything complex, but it helps to have a reference?
Even though I do not have as much time as I used to have, I can help you out. I have not touched the scene editor in almost one year and a half, but it is not a problem. I would not help if the scenes were supposed to be large and complicated (due to my real-life responsibilities) but if they are meant to be small (just like settlements in the Wild West), it is fine.

The research and the concept artworks would actually tremendously help me, please send them my way. The mod files can be sent via Discord.

Hey, man, massive, thanks! What's your Discord name?
And yeah, the scenes are supposed to be quite small and self-contained. Like, 4-5 buildings in each side or something like that. The typical old west town.

We have moved the setting from the Texas-Mexico border to a county in Ohio, somewhere, just a month or so after the Civil War ended.
Are you still adding the S&W Model 3 and Colt 1873? If so, why not just set the mod in the 1870s? You'd have more liberties as far as plausibility is concerned when it comes to whatever classic "Western" guns you want to include in the future. Also, I mean no disrespect or tone but I wouldn't really suggest Ohio as the name of the mod's backdrop setting because, as a lifelong citizen of it who's family's been here generations, we weren't "Frontier America" back then or even close to it. Topographically speaking, we are far removed from the landscapes you mentioned. While a great deal of our state is agricultural countryside, that countryside is New England-esque, not like the Great Plains or Rockies at all. Dixie remnant bushwhackers were a thing in Missouri and Oklahoma, which have the scenery you're going for, but they weren't here save for a single diversionary raid during the war.

Last edited:
Nope, all the guns that were made after 1866 were removed, and many more guns were added that were made pre-1866; mostly small calibre revolvers and pepperboxes (like the Continental Arms pepperbox, the Slocum revolver etc.); maybe more obscure models, but since we made a new firing system, based on calibre, they are good options for role-playing.
The county is fictional, much like in the original mod, although without the humoristic references, we are going for a more realistic setting and tone, even if it may be fictional, in the sense of people and place. The goal is to make a believable western setting, not really historical (and I must stress that, it's not a historical mod, but rather, one with emphasis on realism and authenticity), in the strict sense of the word.
The separatist remnants in our lore aren't native units of the county, they're much like the rebels in the start of Josey Wales, they came here from somewhere else, dislodged from home, but still fighting.
And as for geography, I freely admit, I have very little knowledge of the States. The map was made by Archieduke, and it is a great one, very appealing, and I think realistic; no extreme landmarks, such as mountains tall as High Hrothgar, or oceans in the middle of the map. It has hills, and rock formations (not Grand Canyon-esque), a river and mostly farmland. Our "towns" are basically the bigger villages or small towns of the county. There are forts, and the "villages" are either villages, or farms, or mills or such. Not strictly villages, in the sense the game dictates.

Having said all that, we welcome all input. :grin:

Nope, all the guns that were made after 1866 were removed, and many more guns were added that were made pre-1866; mostly small calibre revolvers and pepperboxes (like the Continental Arms pepperbox, the Slocum revolver etc.); maybe more obscure models, but since we made a new firing system, based on calibre, they are good options for role-playing.
The county is fictional, much like in the original mod, although without the humoristic references, we are going for a more realistic setting and tone, even if it may be fictional, in the sense of people and place. The goal is to make a believable western setting, not really historical (and I must stress that, it's not a historical mod, but rather, one with emphasis on realism and authenticity), in the strict sense of the word.
The separatist remnants in our lore aren't native units of the county, they're much like the rebels in the start of Josey Wales, they came here from somewhere else, dislodged from home, but still fighting.
And as for geography, I freely admit, I have very little knowledge of the States. The map was made by Archieduke, and it is a great one, very appealing, and I think realistic; no extreme landmarks, such as mountains tall as High Hrothgar, or oceans in the middle of the map. It has hills, and rock formations (not Grand Canyon-esque), a river and mostly farmland. Our "towns" are basically the bigger villages or small towns of the county. There are forts, and the "villages" are either villages, or farms, or mills or such. Not strictly villages, in the sense the game dictates.

Having said all that, we welcome all input. :grin:
Mad respect to that. Historical mod or not, the fact you are seeking a realistic/believable setting is what brings me to my point tho. Ohio was not the Wild West. Ohio isn't even in THE west, it is on the polar opposite end of the country. I'm not splitting hairs or discussing technicalities here, we are literally a 5-7 hour drive from the Atlantic ocean/New York City and 12-40 hours from where the outlaws and gunslingers existed. Basically London and Warsaw, in both distance, scenery and lifestyle.

Hmmm, ok, point taken, and I accept that. I will list some (mostly to no negotiable :razz:) points, and you could help me transform the lore a bit, if you like.
  • The mod takes place in late 1865/early 1866. The Civil War has ended, but there's the CSA remnant faction around.
  • The map is amazing; it's excellent, and it is larger than the original, but just a hair smaller than Native Warband's (and this is important, as we need a lot of open space, later on, for stations, custom locations, ranches etc.); also, the original mod's map is really small and has some other drawbacks (explained below)
  • The location of the old mod was the borders of Texas-Mexico, Rio Grante and all that. In our mod, we'd like to change scenery for a couple of reasons: a) to stay away from the whole Mexican Adventure thing, if possible; it's cool and all, but not what I had in mind for this, and doesn't quite fit with the lore too much. b) Instead of a "Fistful of Dollars" setting, in terms of environment, weather and such, we went for a "High Plains Drifter", "Josey Wales" or "Hang 'em High" setting. Plains, mountains, snow in the winter months, greenery in summer and spring etc.
As you can see, I may have a Clint Eastwood bias. :mrgreen:
But yeah, if you (or anyone else) could offer some alternative, while having those points in the lore and theme, I'd be very willing to change the county.

"High Plains Drifter", "Josey Wales" or "Hang 'em High" setting. Plains, mountains, snow in the winter months, greenery in summer and spring etc.
Colorado would be an absolutely picture perfect fit.
oiljv9kkdd86o9wp0uvh.jpg

colorado-countryside.jpg

800px-Colorado_High_Plains_Dirt_Road.JPG

eastern_colorado_high_plains.jpg

eastern_plains_bison_herd.jpeg

rocky-mountains-colorado-mount-elbert-1600x800.jpg
Machu-PIcchu-and-Cusco-comparison-2022-01-14T215247.672-1024x768.png

colorado-springs-in-winter.png

Clint is the king. I've recently just binged those 3 movies coincidentally enough lmao.:LOL:

Hmmm, ok, point taken, and I accept that. I will list some (mostly to no negotiable :razz:) points, and you could help me transform the lore a bit, if you like.
  • The mod takes place in late 1865/early 1866. The Civil War has ended, but there's the CSA remnant faction around.
  • The map is amazing; it's excellent, and it is larger than the original, but just a hair smaller than Native Warband's (and this is important, as we need a lot of open space, later on, for stations, custom locations, ranches etc.); also, the original mod's map is really small and has some other drawbacks (explained below)
  • The location of the old mod was the borders of Texas-Mexico, Rio Grante and all that. In our mod, we'd like to change scenery for a couple of reasons: a) to stay away from the whole Mexican Adventure thing, if possible; it's cool and all, but not what I had in mind for this, and doesn't quite fit with the lore too much. b) Instead of a "Fistful of Dollars" setting, in terms of environment, weather and such, we went for a "High Plains Drifter", "Josey Wales" or "Hang 'em High" setting. Plains, mountains, snow in the winter months, greenery in summer and spring etc.
As you can see, I may have a Clint Eastwood bias. :mrgreen:
But yeah, if you (or anyone else) could offer some alternative, while having those points in the lore and theme, I'd be very willing to change the county.
Great to see that you are still working on this. Decent Wild West mods for Warband are not plentiful enough, so many are for old versions of Warband and have many things missing. You know that i write dialogue and background texts so if you need any help in that department i'm here.

Colorado looks perfect, indeed. Both season pictures, summer and winter, look almost exactly like the textures we have.
So, the Centennial State it is, then. :razz:
The good thing, there are only a couple of coding changes needed to make the "move". The bad thing is, I now have to search what Indian tribes Colorado had at the time, their looks and re-make them. Oh, well, it is a hobby, after all.

Back
Top Bottom