Sturgian Nobles

Users who are viewing this thread

Javeliner

Recruit
They seriously need more love, lets see:

Catas are thick bois who can break at infantary lines whithout dying
Banner knights are killing machines that can chase enemie cav and annihilate ranged units
Khans guards...well i don't even have to say anything about these, they can get any job done
Feris can punish enemies from a distance before closing in for the killing blow
Fians are .50 machine guns that can destroy at melee
Druzhinnik: Do you know how the vast majority of sturgian players use them ? best at sieges and when in field battles they just dismounting them . That's right, people dismount them and use as foot troops.

Comon, that's just messed up. Why everyone else gets unique nobles that can excel at what they do but Sturgia just gets worst banner knights ?
Give them a 2 handed axe idk, anything would better than what it is

Last edited:
Well tbf, they do have high athletics so I'm thinking they are kind of meant to be good on foot and on horse.

The problem is that athletics doesn't really amount to anything anyway.

A two handed axe, or even the war razor that the old Sturgian Shock Troops had before however would give you something fun. That alone would let them stand out as poor charger cavalry, but fantastic 'brawlers' who don't suffer from getting mobbed up as badly as other cav would.

Turning them into infantry like so guys want is a curse really. Sturgia needs something to chase Khuzait cavalry beyond Horse Raiders- no reason to lose the horses.

Banner knights are killing machines that can chase enemie cav and annihilate ranged units
Khans guards...well i don't even have to say anything about these, they can get any job done
Druzhinnik: Do you know how the vast majority of sturgian players use them ? best at sieges and when in field battles they just dismounting them . That's right, people dismount them and use as foot troops.

Comon, that's just messed up. Why everyone else gets unique nobles that can excel at what they do but Sturgia just gets worst banner knights ?
I agree

I've been playing around with the Sturgian Noble Line. Did try making the Druzhinnik basically super infantry with One-Handed Sword+Shield w/ Two-Handed Axe, worked pretty well (still can't really beat Fians). The only problem with this is Sturgia will be very short on cavalry. Probably hurt them even more on campaign map. IDK maybe the Sturgian Spearman could get turned into a cavalry unit to compensate?

The T5 Druzhinnik is actually pretty good for its tier, the problem is the T6 Druzhinnik Champion is a joke against other Tier 6 Cavalry.

I experimented with a whole bunch of equipment rosters, but ultimately found the best build was to give them all the Rectangular Bitted Axe in place of the swords/axes they currently use. They still struggle a bit against Cataphracts, but they are pretty even with Banner Knights. Though I've been tinkering with those as well, so base game results may differ.

Actually here's modded Druzhinnik Champions with the Rectangular Bitted Axe versus other unmodded T6 cavalry:

Decent trade with Cataphracts
W8RaNRZ.jpg

Poor Butter Knights, if only Derthert didn't love his green hoodies so much...
iTKlIpT.jpg

Against the totally not broken Khan's Guard
1TMvXMo.jpg

Actually here's how they do against my nerfed Khan's Guard, it's actually a pretty fair battle, with the melee cavalry beating the horse archer. Will wonders never cease such as units having strengths/weaknesses?
agmnAUz.jpg

Beat the Veteran Faris pretty handidly, but that's letting A.I. drive
vwtzsxm.jpg

It would be nice to give the Druzhhinik's Two-Handed Axes to separate them apart from all other Melee Cavalry, but they would need to lose their shields. Only problem is they would absolutely dominate in any kind of melee combat to a ridiculous degree I'm sure. Two-handed swinging weapons are just too strong on horseback. You'd have to turn Druzhinnik's into glass cannons. BUT that defeats purpose of Sturgian cavalry since they need something to counter their natural neighbors Vlandia/Khuzait. I can't see no-shield Druzhinniks faring well against Horse Archer hordes.

Sturgia needs work overall. I definitely agree with the above statement about the athletics. I suspect that none of the factions are really "finished", and that we will see some significant changes moving forward. It wouldn't be uncommon for a released game to make significant changes like that, at least. Stellaris has changed massively (non-DLC) over the years, so it's possible here.

Thematically I think Druzhina should be mounted, but it would be cool if the Glaive was taken from the Khuzait Khan's Guard and given to them. Or if they got a bardiche or two-handed axe and used that from horseback.

Thematically I think Druzhina should be mounted, but it would be cool if the Glaive was taken from the Khuzait Khan's Guard and given to them. Or if they got a bardiche or two-handed axe and used that from horseback.
It would be "in line" with Warband (as later age) where Veagir knights had bardiche equiped, though why they should not have shields, it is imo like with cataphracts they use that ancient lance but still can switch to shield. Though AI should get script to use shields rather when under fire instead of twohanded weapon.

They should give Sturgia a horse archer unit considering the fact that Sturgian nobles use a bow on horseback.

So I've been toying around with the Sturgia line for awhile.

I really do think Sturgia should be an "infantry heavy" culture. Just a little silly that 4 out of 6 Cultures all have Heavy Cavalry as their Elite Troops (technically 5 if you count Khan Guard). I think if Battania has the ultimate "Archer", Sturgia should have the ultimate "Infantry". Pretty pleased with my re-worked Sturgia Noble Line, they can squash basically any opposing infantry in terms of relative cost - though opposing Shock Troops can put up a good fight (Voulgiers and Palace Guards are kind of crazy now).

They are basically Sword+Shield and Shock Troop in one package. I did leave them with one weakness, which is no spear. So they may be good at killing cavalry in melee, but they are not good at actually stop charging cavalry (i.e. put em in a shield wall or support them with spearman of some kind)

Name is kind of just place holder, open to suggestions heh
kz0kNWd.png

However this leaves Sturgia with just Horse Raiders as cavalry, which aren't very good. So I took the Druzhinnik and replaced the Sturgian Spearman since that unit is really redundant and pointless. (I gave Veteran Bowmen appropriate bow for their tier, beefed up Sturgian Spearman, and then nerfed the Sturgian Soldier - all axes is too strong at T3. Oh and gave Sturgian Axeman a spear to make up for no T5 Spearman anymore.)

qVZdZ1y.png

Works pretty well and makes the "Sturgian Shieldwall" quite formidable. This also maintain the same ratio of cavalry, so they can still counter Empire, Khuzait, and Vlandia. But I don't think Sturgia should really be a cavalry centric culture as it were.

Fighting an equal mix of Khuzait T5-T6 troops is definitely interesting, usually end up with a few Sturgian infantry fighting a handful Khan's Guard and Lancers at the end, so you get a pretty pitched battle. I imagine Khuzait side of things is probably easier being HA heavy.

I feel like Horse Raiders aren't very good... but they are skirmishers, so a bit lost on what do with them. Maybe better weapons would suffice?

And now I turn my gaze onto the red-headed stepchild Battania. After all this time they still blow, and their whole main tree is questionable. Guess it's good they have Fians, or Battania would have nothing going for it.

I really do think Sturgia should be an "infantry heavy" culture. Just a little silly that 4 out of 6 Cultures all have Heavy Cavalry as their Elite Troops (technically 5 if you count Khan Guard). I think if Battania has the ultimate "Archer", Sturgia should have the ultimate "Infantry". Pretty pleased with my re-worked Sturgia Noble Line, they can squash basically any opposing infantry in terms of relative cost - though opposing Shock Troops can put up a good fight (Voulgiers and Palace Guards are kind of crazy now).

They are basically Sword+Shield and Shock Troop in one package. I did leave them with one weakness, which is no spear. So they may be good at killing cavalry in melee, but they are not good at actually stop charging cavalry (i.e. put em in a shield wall or support them with spearman of some kind)

kz0kNWd.png

However this leaves Sturgia with just Horse Raiders as cavalry, which aren't very good. So I took the Druzhinnik and replaced the Sturgian Spearman since that unit is really redundant and pointless. (I gave Veteran Bowmen appropriate bow for their tier, beefed up Sturgian Spearman, and then nerfed the Sturgian Soldier - all axes is too strong at T3. Oh and gave Sturgian Axeman a spear to make up for no T5 Spearman anymore.)

qVZdZ1y.png

Works pretty well and makes the "Sturgian Shieldwall" quite formidable. This also maintain the same ratio of cavalry, so they can still counter Empire, Khuzait, and Vlandia. But I don't think Sturgia should really be a cavalry centric culture as it were.

Fighting an equal mix of Khuzait T5-T6 troops is definitely interesting, usually end up with a few Sturgian infantry fighting a handful Khan's Guard and Lancers at the end, so you get a pretty pitched battle. I imagine Khuzait side of things is probably easier being HA heavy.

I feel like Horse Raiders aren't very good... but they are skirmishers, so a bit lost on what do with them. Maybe better weapons would suffice?

And now I turn my gaze onto the red-headed stepchild Battania. After all this time they still blow, and their whole main tree is questionable. Guess it's good they have Fians, or Battania would have nothing going for it.
Ugly helmet is ugly, just give them one of the nord helms or something. Also call them Druzhinniks. Druzhinniks doesn't mean horseman, so you might as well leave the names as they are.

It is worth noting, IMO, that MrChicken's latest tests against mixed infantry show that Druzhinhik Champion is the strongest dismounted cav in the latest patch. So that's good.

Meh, they are great cav as well.

They are very versatile, better than vlandian banner knights. Whenever I recruited both, I always ended up having more druzhinik champions, quicker too.

kz0kNWd.png

qVZdZ1y.png

I love your idea, Sturgia should be infantry focused faction, no need in noble horsemen in their ranks.

Back
Top Bottom