Straight islamic swords.

Users who are viewing this thread

the arabs relied heavily on cavalry.

Another misconception. Most armies relied heavily on cavalry in the early medieval era, and the Arabs do not appear to have been significantly more cav-heavy than the average. In the initial conquest phase, there are many accounts of Arab armies fighting on foot in spear formations. Sometimes they appear to have campaigned on horseback but dismounted before battle. By the ninth century we're not really talking "Arabs" any more, but a number of successful later Muslim armies -- ie, the Almoravids/Murabitun -- were also fighting in disciplined foot formations.

There is also the Ottoman sword Yatağan, but I gues these are more late period stuff.

yata%C4%9Fan

not that straight :razz:

nijis said:
the arabs relied heavily on cavalry.

Another misconception. Most armies relied heavily on cavalry in the early medieval era, and the Arabs do not appear to have been significantly more cav-heavy than the average. In the initial conquest phase, there are many accounts of Arab armies fighting on foot in spear formations. Sometimes they appear to have campaigned on horseback but dismounted before battle. By the ninth century we're not really talking "Arabs" any more, but a number of successful later Muslim armies -- ie, the Almoravids/Murabitun -- were also fighting in disciplined foot formations.

Hmmm, that's something I didn't know, thanks.

The Topkapi and Askeri Museums in Istanbul have quite a large collection of straight "Islamic" swords (The quotation marks are because AFAIK swords don't follow any particular religion :grin:). many of these were published in a book by Unsal Yucel (not sure of that spelling). The earliest curved sabre in those two collections dates to the 1290ies. The reason these swords have survived is that many of them are attributed to important historical figures.

Some pics:

That awesome broad sword (I mean a broad sword, not a broadsword) in the last picture is, well, awesome. (not as awesome as the one before it though) But I was wondering, is the text on its edges engraved or something? Does that have effect on its', err, attributes?

AWdeV said:
That awesome broad sword (I mean a broad sword, not a broadsword) in the last picture is, well, awesome. (not as awesome as the one before it though) But I was wondering, is the text on its edges engraved or something? Does that have effect on its', err, attributes?

engraved, maybe etched? I don't think it would affect durability or cutting abilities.

I have no idea if the inscriptions affected the swords abilities or not, but inscriptions are common on Museum quality "Islamic" swords:

A couple more straight swords:

Those are probably the original 13th-14th century hilts. A lot of old swords were rehilted in the 15th-16th century, and 15th-16th century hilts are quite different in style. Pre-13th century hilts looked different again, although some styles appear to have been popular from the 11th century right through to the 15th century.

Back
Top Bottom