Straight islamic swords.

Users who are viewing this thread

It comes from Central Asian fashion. Moorish swords hadn't curved handle.

The enormous sword we can see in the pictures is Hatf, one of the Prophet Muhammed supposed swords (probably a 13-14th century fake). The blade is really impressive:
hatf_copy.jpg

Islamic straight blades were often broader than European ones.

Wellenbrecher said:
Merlkir said:
particularly heavy.
i bet that it  weights less than 1,5 kilos, broad doesn't mean heavy ,maybe if it is not so balanced it can feel awkward but i think that it's point of balance is only some centimeters far from the handle on the blade

Merlkir said:
... And unlike the wallhangers posted by that guy, these are real swords...
History of weapons is very long and complex subject, and there is a lot of variation which kind of weapons were used at various locations at different eras. Those "wall hangers" are are pre-13th century Arabian swords, that is, before curved sword become more common.

Archeological examples of straight Sassanian swords can be found in National Museum of Iran in Tehran. The collection is in the fourth floor.

For reference check Moshtagh Khorasani's book "Arms and Armor from Iran: the Bronze Age to the End of the Qajar Period." (2006, 780 pages).

Farmind said:
Merlkir said:
History of weapons is very long and complex subject, and there is a lot of variation which kind of weapons were used at various locations at different eras. Those "wall hangers" are are pre-13th century Arabian swords, that is, before curved sword become more common.

Archeological examples of straight Sassanian swords can be found in National Museum of Iran in Tehran. The collection is in the fourth floor.

For reference check Moshtagh Khorasani's book "Arms and Armor from Iran: the Bronze Age to the End of the Qajar Period." (2006, 780 pages).

What the hell are you talking about?
The "wall hangers" I talk about ARE modern replicas and pretty ****ty ones too.

azzarol said:
Wellenbrecher said:
Merlkir said:
particularly heavy.
i bet that it  weights less than 1,5 kilos, broad doesn't mean heavy ,maybe if it is not so balanced it can feel awkward but i think that it's point of balance is only some centimeters far from the handle on the blade

The blade looks very thin so it could handle very similarly to a less broad blade. There's a lot of subtleties of mass distribution that you can't see in a photo. :razz:

Farmind said:
Merlkir said:

Don't you read my post ? Those Spanish "wall hangers" are replicas of 14th-15th centuries Granadan swords. And what you say concerning curved swords don't make any sense.

The blade looks very thin so it could handle very similarly to a less broad blade. There's a lot of subtleties of mass distribution that you can't see in a photo. :razz:

Real medieval blades (both Western and Islamic) are often thinner than replicas made for reenactment, above all because they are sharpened because made to kill. As we can easily notice, that enabled blades to be broader than modern replicas. Having said that, Islamic medieval blades were often broader than European ones.

ejnomad07 said:
Merlkir said:
No, just no. These look like some horrible modern wallhangers.

I find it rather funny you blame him for showing wallhangers and then show pics of swords hanging on walls.  :lol:
A wallhanger is not simply a sword hanging on a wall, it's a sword which isn't good for anything else. A replica designed for actual use is thus not a wallhanger, even when hanging on a wall. A sword which should under no circumstances be used (because of pitiful construction) is a wallhanger, even if it is not hanging on a wall.

GaZ.v2 said:
This ^ is pathetic

not to mention off-topic
The irony of your post didn't even register with you, did it?

To your credit, though, that was the first post I believe I have ever seen you made more than one line long.

A wallhanger is not simply a sword hanging on a wall, it's a sword which isn't good for anything else. A replica designed for actual use is thus not a wallhanger, even when hanging on a wall. A sword which should under no circumstances be used (because of pitiful construction) is a wallhanger, even if it is not hanging on a wall.

Indeed, and I know that very well as I used to buy some of those ugly wallhangers when I was younger, thinking that they were real swords... :lol: I was prouf of them. The worst was a replica of Anduril whose plastic handle broke without reasons.
But unfortunately, most of real replicas, made for reenactment, are too sober. I mean, no decorations, no inscriptions, etc. Medieval swords were often more worked.

Judging by the blade profile, it looks to be a cutting sword. More blade and less profile taper at the point means more effective tip cuts, AFAIK.

I'd wager that the tip is sharp. Just not pointy. A spatulate point doesn't mean that it can't **** your **** up if you get careless with it. :razz:

Urist said:
Negm-ed-Din_Ayyubs_Sword_ISAS_pl.jpg
Does anyone know the reason why the sword was made blunt at the tip? Less risk for the noble's crown jewels when trying to sheat the sword being drunk stoned?
The sword blades found in archaeological digs digs are usually so badly corroded, that it may be difficult to determine the original blade shape. Old blades stored in weapon collections may be re-shaped during periodical maintenance, rust-removal and polishing. Blade tips may also have damaged in battle, and been re-shaped.

From the photo alone it is difficult to determine the original blade-tip shape.

A flat and wide tip has good cutting ability when sword is used to slash; thick and narrow point has better biting angle when sword is used to thrust.

Back
Top Bottom