Steam, love it or hate it?

Users who are viewing this thread

"Last time", you don't seem to realise that people don't like being forced to use something like Steam for a game that they would very much like to play. Also, if they don't have a reliable internet connection then they basically get told "**** you, you're not good enough for this game"

Digital distribution, digital delivery or electronic software distribution (ESD) is the practice of delivering content without the use of physical media, typically by downloading via the internet straight to a consumer's home.

I'm pretty sure that's what Steam does, isn't it? I mean, I don't know about you but fairies haven't delivered DVDs to me when I buy a game off Steam

I'll put it plainly.

When games force you to buy them, and play them through Steam, it effectively turns your PC into a console, with a controlled market, and controlled development.

Now hopefully, there'll be no avoiding this one. 

mor2 said:
@Swadius, You are basing this on faulty assumption that by suggesting an online backup someone is neglected, As opposed to improvement of service for different groups with different needs. (btw steam hw survey).

You're missing the point, I'm saying that by making it mandatory that internet connection must be present they are excluding a minor but still unsubstantial group of people. Particularly those in the developing third worlds and countries one step down from the first world where the internet isn't exactly one of their to priorities. Business wise, this isn't a good decision. I take it is much more often the case that someone buys a game from steam because of the low prices rather than the addition of the client, since there are people out there that either object to it's mandatory client and those that don't have a constant uninterrupted internet connection out there, Steam is making a decision that doesn't necessarily make them any more money and excludes many people while at it.

As for the survey, I'm not the one who said that 99.99% of users don't know how to make back ups or are too stupid to use google to find opensource disk burning software or operate a program less difficult to understand than the games Steam sells.

yes, their product is for people with internet.

Bolkonsky said:
When games force you to buy them
what devious games  :roll:

[size=36pt]complain to the publishers, do what i do vote with your money

EdwardWellcraft said:
Steam works very well.
No it doesn't. It still tries to communicate in offline mode. It fails to store user settings during an update. It doesn't compress files when downloading, it force installs **** it doesn't need to (Direct X and Visual Basic being favourites) and those are simply the issues with it's most basic function of getting a game onto the system, and are the kind of no-brainers I'd bollock an intern for not getting, let alone someone who called themselves a professional.
You don't have a problem with the system, you have a problem with the intention behind the system.
Really? So how comes I'm happy to use Impulse, the D2D downloader, EA Downloader, even Ubisoft's U-Play?

mor2 said:
do what i do vote with your money
I was wondering which thieving bastard was using my credit card online  :evil:

I dont know about steam for me. I guess its mainly I am fine with it, since I have been using it since it was first introduced. I would love to go back to the simple times of steam, without all of this new stuff with the interface etc.

With games, I really dont mind.

Recently with steams christmas treasure challenge.
Team fortress 2.. treasure hats.. People with their collective habbits.
They can't resist. I love how evil valve and steam can be now and then

Got steam properly for the first time the other day... and friggin hate it. i've spent the last 4 days downloading L4D 2 on and off, and because of many unexplainable interruptions/pauses and an obscenely low download speed (Steam's fault, this - my download speed is freakin epic normally), it's still going.

**** you, Steam. **** you.

happy boxing day all :smile:

yeah, holidays, free weekends and big releases are the worst  :mad:

Raizo said:
you complain that valve still releasing new content, few years after the release TFT2 :shock:

mor2 said:

Raizo said:
you complain that valve still releasing new content, few years after the release TFT2 :shock:
Once again, you display your mental density.  Its not that theyre releasing new content, its that thats what theyre using to draw people in.

agreed, i am incapable of understanding, how providing free of charge content and keeping the game servers populated is bad  :???:
maybe they should charge for it or add monthly fee or just promise content and dont deliver like so many others  :razz:

drawing people in  :roll: Gaaa dei made content, me compeled to...  Gaaa cake...

Youre either the most epic troll ever, or incredibly stupid.  Either way, you win the "Missing the Point Award" for 2010.

Edit: Please see the folowing video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qileP4bAzek

yes you are right, they are evil, for using this ground breaking model "doing exactly what they promised to do", its really amazing that improving your service and good customer service = publicity and more money, unlike the standard hype crap.

yep definitely evil, making us buy into those cheap tricks, buy those game we dont want, play them over and over, buy their crappy sequels, play them over and over, listen to cheap pop crap the evil radios put up, have no life because we choose too,  eat excessively and not exrcise, etc etc etc... OOOhh whyWHY my god have you forsaken me, without free will and self control ?!

cake?

mor2 said:
agreed, i am incapable of understanding, how providing free of charge content and keeping the game servers populated is bad 
Because it's for TF2. It's like making someone a deluxe wedding cake and then icing it with dog****. If they'd have spent half the time making TF2 as they have adding silly hats to it they might have made a decent game in the first place.

mor2 said:
yes you are right, they are evil, for using this ground breaking model "doing exactly what they promised to do"
*Cough* Left4Dead 1 *Cough*

Archonsod said:
*Cough* Left4Dead 1 *Cough*
you got a point here, content wise they disappointed me with L4d
l4d2 is a great game but sometimes it feels little empty of the right crowd (maybe i am imagining or its the new match making system)

mor2 said:
yes you are right, they are evil, for using this ground breaking model "doing exactly what they promised to do", its really amazing that improving your service and good customer service = publicity and more money, unlike the standard hype crap.

yep definitely evil, making us buy into those cheap tricks, buy those game we dont want, play them over and over, buy their crappy sequels, play them over and over, listen to cheap pop crap the evil radios put up, have no life because we choose too,  eat excessively and not exrcise, etc etc etc... OOOhh whyWHY my god have you forsaken me, without free will and self control ?!

cake?

... but they aren't providing the service they promise to. The game downloads (In my case, anyway) take friggin forever because they somehow manage to **** up and throttle the download speed, and when that isn't the case their servers are "too goddamn busy to handle your download/allow you to play your own goddamn game at this moment in time".

Steam, as a business model, is ingenious, but it pisses me off the way they abuse their power as a game provider and cheap out on decent servers.

Requires tons of unnecessary hassle, and not getting to decide when to download updates or whatever is stupid. If it really does require me to go online to gawk at their ads after two weeks of offline, I'm all set for having a barbeque party with a staked Gabe Newell as the main course. All I ****ing want to is play my games in peace.

Blobmania said:
... but they aren't providing the service they promise to. The game downloads (In my case, anyway) take friggin forever because they somehow manage to **** up and throttle the download speed, and when that isn't the case their servers are "too goddamn busy to handle your download/allow you to play your own goddamn game at this moment in time".

Steam, as a business model, is ingenious, but it pisses me off the way they abuse their power as a game provider and cheap out on decent servers.
please follow the thread, i always happy to jump the wagon on deserved criticism.
mor2 said:

although i wouldnt say its steam specific problem, its the standard "rush hour" problem, My crappy ISP has the same problem with out of country connections during the evening  :mad:

Back
Top Bottom