Stab chamberblock

Users who are viewing this thread

I use a lot of stabs in any fight, most of my kills come from stabs, lately however more and more people have learned to chamberblock and very often it is literally impossible to block a stab chamberblock. it's not a question of my blocking either since I have no trouble blocking any of the other chambers. The questions I have are what exactly determines whether a stab chamberblock is impossible to block? And why is it like this? It's a bit annoying getting chamberblocked mid fight and not being able to do anything about being hit. Even holding your attack doesn't help since plenty of people can still chamberblock that.

Yeah, I have the same problem.
Don't know what it is, I hold the block button long before the (chamber-)attack connects, it never seems to work. It seems you can counter-chamber the chamber again, though, but maybe this is all range related.

Perhaps something with the latest updates? I chamberblock stabs much more frequently now... overheads as well. It just seems easier than before somehow!  :???:

doomsayer said:
Don't know what it is, I hold the block button long before the (chamber-)attack connects, it never seems to work. It seems you can counter-chamber the chamber again, though, but maybe this is all range related.
If you can chamberblock the chamberblocked thrust then damn right you could have blocked it.

Stabbing Hobo said:
doomsayer said:
If you can chamberblock the chamberblocked thrust then damn right you could have blocked it.

Most of the times this fails is because you move forwards in the attempt of connecting the strike faster... when chamberblocked, moving forward has the unfortunate habbit of doing the same to you! It is possible, I've been a victim of it myself quite a number of times, but it needs footwork!

It's rather silly in any case, mostly because the thrust is actually the easiest attack to chamberblock.

In some cases it seems to be possible to block the counter, but it is rare. You have to be at a certain distance while moving away from your opponent, or so it seems. I have blocked the counter exactly once since the latest patch, but it was probably due to imperfect timing of my opponent.

I've always said stab chambering stab was a really stupid idea. How is it supposed to happen physically... you hit the tip of their weapon with yours? I suggest removing it again.

Vornne said:
I've always said stab chambering stab was a really stupid idea. How is it supposed to happen physically... you hit the tip of their weapon with yours? I suggest removing it again.

Come on, you actually push the stab out to the side and if done right, you already have the end pointing towards your enemy. I did some fighting with a foil and sabre a few years back, and it's a very common technique. Perhaps, watching this might give you an idea what's going on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y98ukMekKdA&

The only counter to chamberblocking (Discluding the rare double-chamberblock) is feinting. You can usually spot a chamberblocker pretty quickly as they are very calm and wait for you to do the first hit. If you think you got a chamberblocker against you, try a simple feint to see if he bites.

Parity said:
The only counter to chamberblocking (Discluding the rare double-chamberblock) is feinting. You can usually spot a chamberblocker pretty quickly as they are very calm and wait for you to do the first hit. If you think you got a chamberblocker against you, try a simple feint to see if he bites.
What? Feinting is the worst possible thing you can do against a reliable chamber blocker. If he attacks into your first feinted swing you'll either have to forget your feint and block his chamber attempt or be hit. Feintomaniacs are the only people I bring chamber blocking out for unless I'm showing off.

The only proper counter is varying how long you chamber each attack for, which completely cripples the timing. So much so that in duels between two good chamber blockers, you're unlikely to see even one, the whole thing regresses to slow motion almost as people chamber more and more swings to try and bait a chamber block attempt.

You can feint to stab from all other attacks before the attempted chamberblock hits. Also, fast feints with onehanders (some two handers as well) land before as well.

Parity said:
I'll have to agree with HJKL on this one.

No, parity is actually right.
There are some people around that can make a feint, then start another attack after you started the chamberblock attack and still hit you first.
I really don't get it how they pull it off.

Vornne said:

There is a technique in Cali called (in English) drop stick. Essentially, you deflect a stab by pushing your stick down slightly angled against your opponents stab, pushing it down too. It then sets you up perfectly for a stab yourself.

It looks very much like stabbing a stab.

I guess it might happen with shortest of the short quiet feints, especially with feints into stabs like Stabbing Hobo says. I think the only time I've seen it is when I attempt to chamber block a feinted overhead and decide to see it through instead of blocking their next swing. So I'll admit feints CAN be an effective counter if you can do especially minute ones and then only against silly opponents like me who over-commit :oops:

Silent feint will always hit first, I was talking about normal, "noisy" feints. You can change swing before the other guy hits, even if your weapon speed is two points below his.

doomsayer said:
No, parity is actually right.
There are some people around that can make a feint, then start another attack after you started the chamberblock attack and still hit you first.
I really don't get it how they pull it off.
That only works against the chamberblockers who wait for the connection sound to release their swing. Some do not, and rely solely on their own timing. The moment you feint, their attack is already underway and will hit you first. I'll admit, they are rare. Bjordhinn is a fine example though.

Oh, I do not. I just click and hope for the best. Anyway there is no "cling" since they feint. So I might just be late with the chamber, but I could swear my attack starts before them. Guess I should record and slomo a bit. At least overhead + feint into turned sideslash works though.

Back
Top Bottom