Some helpful tips for new players on dealing with bandits and their hideouts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Hello, I would like to give some personal tips for new players that have made it easier to complete the bandit hideout quests and dealing with the bandits in general across Calradia. Please note that I am still learning the types and strategies, experimenting, so there are probably better ones out there but this is what works for me. Feedback appreciated!

Developers have recently updated the game so that if you die / fail taking the hideout, you will not be their prisoner if some of your men are outside the hideout.

Looters

These guys are upgraded from Warband in that their rocks will damage you more and they seem better at throwing them too. Their ai will still charge at you at the beginning of the battle though but you can clump them up together in a circle and deal with them like so if you want. Here are some other ways that you can deal with them easily with the following requirements:
  • Horse-archer character builds mop them up.
  • A polearm is useful, preferably something that can be couched. Good throwing weapons will kill them pretty easily too. I also use a shield against the rocks.
  • They won't attack you on the map if you have a small army (20 - 35). That being said, I've seen parties of them as big as 51 (+ any nearby who join) and they might be inclined to attack you.
  • They're mostly cowards, their morale can be broken easily if you make your troops charge and half will start to rout very soon.
  • They don't sell for much at all as prisoners but I always take them if possible for some spare change.
  • Good for target practice and "farming" experience for skillpoints.
Bandits & Mountain Bandits

A step up, you should take some caution with these guys when raiding their hideouts. They have throwing weapons and those can kill off some of your troops if you have them charge head on. I haven't seen them much on the map yet but they do exist. The last time I encountered was in Battania during a merchant caravan quest, they tried to attack us with their horses but my army alongside one of the Battanian lords wiped the floor with them.
  • Definitely have some archers to pick them off from a distance and heavy infantry with good shields. Put them in a shieldwall formation and get your archers somewhere in front or on a height advantage in loose formation. I don't use cavalry but you can most likely run them down.
  • These guys are eligible to be in a hideout, with a mountain bandit chief for the most part to deal in the end. Bring a good bow and some piercing arrows, aim for the head and pick one at a time or small groups. For melee, take a shield and a long sword that can be both two-handed and one-handed.
  • Need to experiment more with them and if they really use horses or only sometimes. Feedback appreciated.
  • They can spawn in hideouts with 20+ sometimes, take caution.
  • Good value as prisoners (mostly the chief).

Sea Raiders

Sea raiders have harpoons and throwing axes, better equipment in general. I found their hideouts to be a little easier because the map used is on the coast and most of them are inside. Get your archers to attack from a distance and then move in with infantry (have them follow you, don't charge unless they are bandits are low in numbers). On the map, these guys are prevalent in the Sturgian lands and Vlandian (westernmost coastal areas after Pravend, lots of looters and sea raiders with a hideout even).
  • Can have potential to drop nice gear, let them waste their throwing weapons first as you circle around from a distance on a horse and then pick them off.
  • Bait them into attacking you whilst you prepare your army to charge (hammer and anvil tactics work great for me).
  • They don't use horses as far as I can tell, their average party size are usually in small numbers like 4 - 8.
  • Use a polearm, they have shields and you need the extra reach. Throwing weapons can kill them quickly as well if you are good at aiming.

Forest Bandits

I avoid these guys like the plague (unless 2-3), only attacking their hideouts. They have laser-like aim and deal a lot of damage, will wipe your troops out if you make a reckless charge. You must have a ranged weapon + shield to deal with them when attacking the hideout; press the z key to crouch and sneak around. Pick your fights and pick their arrows up once you run out. Safe to say, they should be nerfed and a lot of people complain about them on the forums.
  • Forest Bandits are the same like in Warband in that they are archers, but far more deadlier in this game right now.
  • I find they are quite a common enemy to fight in the hideouts that spawn, sadly. There is potential for a small amount (like 10-12) or as large as 25.
  • Good archers and crossbowman at a height advantage will kill them quickly, though you shouldn't let them do all the work or else bye bye tier 3-5 troops.
  • Very good value as prisoners (chief and his elite troops).

Steppe Bandits

I haven't fought enough of these guys because I don't go towards the Khuziat lands, however I had to engage them for a quest and they are horse-archers. Their ai is a lot better than in Warband, they actually will harass and circle around their enemy. They target your horse primarily, trying to kill it so that you will be on the ground at a disadvantage.
  • Use a good bow and fight fire with fire. They are horse-archers and so are you now.
  • Clump your infantry tightly together in a shield wall if possible and get your archers close by in a loose formation. Your ranged units will be the primary means to dispose them.
  • They're easy pickings if you focus on killing their horse. Their ai seems to prioritize on charging your troops once they are off their horse.
  • A good horse will allow you to catch up to them and a good polearm too...
I haven't done their hideout yet, if they have any. They probably will use their bows and throwing weapons if any I presume..

Other Bandits

There are quite a few other type bandits, more than I would like sometimes. For example, I have yet to fight desert bandits because I haven't gone to Aserai as much but they operate as cavalry and would probably use bows with "jereeds" as deadly throwing weapons.

If you press "n" on your keyboard, it would bring up the in-game encyclopedia and going towards "Occupation ---> Bandit" would allow you to see a list of bandit units, some that you encounter in the hideouts and others that are recruited and trained.
  • Bedouin Rover
  • Brigand
  • Bushwacker
  • Desert Bandit Boss
  • Desert Bandits Hero
  • Deserter
  • Forest Bandit
  • Forest Bandit Boss
  • Forest Bandit Hero
  • Freebooter
  • Harami
  • Highwayman
  • Hillmen
  • Looter
  • Looter Hero
  • Marauder
  • Mountain Bandit Boss
  • Mountain Bandits Hero
  • Nomad Bandit
  • Radago's Raider
  • Raider
  • Sea Raider
  • Sea Raider Chief
  • Sea Raider Warrior
  • Sea Raiders Hero
  • Steppe Bandit
  • Steppe Bandit Boss
  • Steppe Bandits Hero
Loadout and final words

My main weapons to deal with the bandits and their hideouts is currently a Simple Short Bow, Piercing Arrows, Northern Round Shield, and Early Retirement (a special tournament sword that you can win with really good stats for my early - mid game). I need to buy a better bow and arrows but the shield has not broken or been damaged as much yet.

THE SWORD (one-handed and two-handed stats)

My armor is as follows, though I need to upgrade some of it and am saving up money right now:
  • Full Helm Over Laced Coif (45 head armor / tier 6 / 3.5 weight / WON FROM TOURNAMENT).
  • Armored Bearksin (28 body armor / tier 4 / 7.0 weight / WON FROM TOURNAMENT AND IS A "CAPE").
  • Studded Steppe Leather (12 body armor, 7 leg armor, 2 arm armor / tier 3 / 2.4 weight / COULD BE BETTER, I GOT IT FROM A MOUNTAIN BANDIT CHIEF).
  • Studded Vambraces (25 arm armor / tier 3 / 0.7 weight / CAN FIND FROM BANDIT CHIEF OR TOWN).
  • Mail Chausess (29 leg armor / tier 4 / 2.9 weight / CAN BE DROPPED AS LOOT OR TOWN).

ONE FINAL THING, DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES DUEL WITH THE BANDIT CHIEF UNLESS YOUR HEALTH IS VERY LOW AND YOU KNOW THAT YOU WILL DIE TRYING TO TAKE ON HIM AND THE GANG WITHOUT DUEL. I WON A DUEL AGAINST A FOREST BANDIT CHIEF WITH ALMOST ZERO HEALTH BY BACKPEDALING WITH SWORD AND SHIELD. IF THE BANDIT CHIEF HAS A TWO-HANDED MELEE WEAPON, BE VERY CAREFUL NOT TO TAKE DAMAGE.

HAPPY HUNTING :>

Back
Top Bottom