Some General Questions

Users who are viewing this thread

gurslak

Recruit
I've had a few questions pop up during my multiple and not very long lived play throughs....

1) What's the point of being a Mercenary?
I don't get the reason for it, as it's a permanent position and if you choose to leave the faction hates you for it, well isn't that what mercenaries did? Come in, fight for a bit and then leave to fight for the next paying customer. Maybe it's the implementation of it in game, but I just don't see the positives to being a Mercenary for a faction.

2) Are one handed weapons any good?
I keep telling myself I'll use a sword and shield, but then can't hit the broad side of a barn when mounted and switch back to using two handed pole arms. This could just be a case of 'get gud, sucka'.

3) How does increasing party size actually work? I understand it's tied to the Steward skill and having varied food helps, but is there more to it? On two different play throughs a Battanian character has an army of 64 after 62 days, yet a Vlandian character has only just hit 64 after 74 days. They were both played the same way with doing similar number of quests and having +9 morale bonus due to food variety, so why the difference?

1. Don't know about 1.6.0 but in 1.5.10 you won't get a relationship penalty when leaving as a mercenary(even if you get a Info message "you will loose relation if you leave, are you sure") If you are a vassal that's another thing though.

2.depends on playstyle

3. Steward, clan renown(clan tier) and if vassal or king, kingdom/faction policies have influence on party size, as well as some perks (+ 5 to party size for example).

3. Steward, clan renown(clan tier) and if vassal or king, kingdom/faction policies have influence on party size, as well as some perks (+ 5 to party size for example).

The Vlandian character has a clan level of 1 and the Battanian hasn't completed the Rebuild Your Clan quest yet as I haven't hired a companion, so I guess is either level 0 or 1.

The Vlandian character has a clan level of 1 and the Battanian hasn't completed the Rebuild Your Clan quest yet as I haven't hired a companion, so I guess is either level 0 or 1.
Have they both the same steward skill? Since the skill levels by time and food variety, maybe one of the two started earlier with steward leveling (through food variety or the lack of it).

I'm not sure, I'll have to check. Maybe the Battanian had a slight head start on the variety of food. I've noticed my latest start, also a Vlandian, has been slow to increase party size too, while the Battanian& Khurzait characters I've tried seem to gain party size much quicker. It made me think it was some sort of hidden culture penalty.

1. Don't know about 1.6.0 but in 1.5.10 you won't get a relationship penalty when leaving as a mercenary(even if you get a Info message "you will loose relation if you leave, are you sure")
How do I find out which version I'm on? I think it's 1.5.09 as that's what the launcher says.

When loading a game for example?
Yeah, I've not opted into any of the betas, just started up the game and started playing. I believe the launcher says 1.5.09 in the bottom left corner. So I guess that's the version I'm on. Can I convert that save to 1.5.10 or would I need to restart?

I don't get the reason for it, as it's a permanent position and if you choose to leave the faction hates you for it, well isn't that what mercenaries did? Come in, fight for a bit and then leave to fight for the next paying customer. Maybe it's the implementation of it in game, but I just don't see the positives to being a Mercenary for a faction.
I can end my contract without penalty...? At any rate, it is a good way to get yourself in the big game before hitting clan tier 3 or whatever the minimum is to become a vassal. It is also fairly lucrative if you're good at fighting and get a nice (120 denars+) contract going your way. Past a certain point, it makes you even more money to drop off nobles for influence boosts rather than direct ransoming.

I keep telling myself I'll use a sword and shield, but then can't hit the broad side of a barn when mounted and switch back to using two handed pole arms. This could just be a case of 'get gud, sucka'.
No.

3) How does increasing party size actually work? I understand it's tied to the Steward skill and having varied food helps, but is there more to it? On two different play throughs a Battanian character has an army of 64 after 62 days, yet a Vlandian character has only just hit 64 after 74 days. They were both played the same way with doing similar number of quests and having +9 morale bonus due to food variety, so why the difference?
There are also clan tiers, perks and kingdom policies that increase party size.

The others answered your questions or solved your dilemas.

You use 1H weapons with shields when charging at ranged units.
Otherwise you risk of getting 1 shot or stun lock by multiple projectiles.
If you have a problem with infantry hitting your legs while charging with a 1H weapon,I have a niche advice for you.
Hit them with the horse first,this way you stunlock them and can hit them freely.

I don't see any point to run a mercenary company. It is a good idea to go merc if you plan on joining the kingdom at T2.
I keep telling myself I'll use a sword and shield, but then can't hit the broad side of a barn
Some OneHanded swords have a reach of a TwoHanded, so you can use it on a horse. I use Spear... even when i siege, but i often siege on a horse so...
so why the difference?
You can always check here
CqarQif.jpg
to see why there is a difference

I can end my contract without penalty...? At any rate, it is a good way to get yourself in the big game before hitting clan tier 3 or whatever the minimum is to become a vassal. It is also fairly lucrative if you're good at fighting and get a nice (120 denars+) contract going your way. Past a certain point, it makes you even more money to drop off nobles for influence boosts rather than direct ransoming.

No.

There are also clan tiers, perks and kingdom policies that increase party size.

I believe I've been playing on an older version, before the relationship penalty for no longer being a mercenary was removed.

Back
Top Bottom