Soliciting Input regarding the Mod Discussion forum

Users who are viewing this thread

Deus Ex

Sergeant Knight at Arms
Hi all,

I have been thinking about making some changes to this forum.

Primarily, there seems to be a LARGE number of Stickied threads, but not one that discusses what this sub-forum is for, and the guidelines for posting here.

So I have two questions/issues I would like input from the MODDING community on:

1) I would like to hear what kinds of information about this sub-forum and guidelines for posting here, that  you would like to see included in a Sticked thread.  Whenever I respond to a new member I instruct them to read the stickied threads at the top of the sub-forums before posting there - we need something here that clearly spells out the expectations.  Input please.

2) Which Stickies do we REALLY need here?  Off the top of my head, I think we should have the "welcome" thread (see #1 above),  the Mod User's FAQ, the mod makers Q&A thread, the Mod list, and possibly the Mod related website list (waffling on that one).

The others (and possibly the website list) could be added to a compilation thread/post that has been stickied - or something like that.

Ideas, suggestions?

(be civil)

DE

Please provide input - otherwise I will end up acting unilaterally - and then, if you don't like what I do, it will be too late.

The related website list probably does not need to be here, instead more properly being in the unofficial tools section, or as a subsection of another thread.  Possibly link it from the welcome and FAQs thread? 

Deus Ex said:
2) Which Stickies do we REALLY need here?  Off the top of my head, I think we should have the "welcome" thread (see #1 above),  the Mod User's FAQ, the mod makers Q&A thread, the Mod list, and possibly the Mod related website list (waffling on that one).

The items request thread is needed, but the skins/ gui thread isnt.

Which Stickies do we REALLY need here?  Off the top of my head, I think we should have the "welcome" thread (see #1 above),  the Mod User's FAQ, the mod makers Q&A thread, the Mod list, and possibly the Mod related website list (waffling on that one).

Agreed. I'm also tending to agree with Merentha on the website list. As for the discussion guidelines, I think the sort of things posted presently (questions related to modding in general etc...) are appropriate for this subforum. My only objection is that it sometimes seems cluttered by all the master threads for existing mods. Perhaps a separate subforum for discussion/development of said mods?

Each released total modficiation should receive it's own subforum I would say.

A lot of people come here shopping for mods and we should make it easier for them to find them. At the very least they should receive 1 sticky each.

I am working with Janus to possibly implement a sort of "folder" functionality - this would help tremendously in the organization of the forums.

DE

mayb make a new a new folder:
- one with mod discussion
- one with mods only, and then I mean only topics with downloadable mods.

Ok, here's my thoughts. As forum old-timers might remember I've been an advocate in the past of sticky reduction and asked that some of my previous threads not be stickied.

That said, the number of stickies here in Mod Discussion is definitely too high. I think the "free resource" stickies (props, scripts, skins, scenes, art collaboration) could be moved into a single resource sharing subforum.
The Mod List is one to definitely stay.
Mod User and Mod Maker threads should probably stay, and in my opinion so should the Mod-Related Websites thread. Definitely not just saying that because I'm the owner of that thread, I have found it useful myself in the past and I think it would be much less noticeable (and therefore useful) as just a part of another sticky.

Major mods having their own subforums sounds like a great idea on one hand... but has a few disadvantages as well if you think about it. First, subforums are listed above all threads within a forum (including stickies), so a handful of them would crowd all regular posts down. Second, there's room for stepping on mod-makers' toes here: who says which mod is good enough to warrant it's own subforum? The moderators/admins would decide, of course, but I'm just pointing out some people might get discouraged if they don't get one of their own.
Having covered the downsides, I think there should be a subforum here titled something like "Major Mods (subforums)", with the major mod subforums in it along with a sticky listing general information. This forum would probably be locked from posting since there would be no real need for posts there.
Some people might as mentioned get frustrated with their mods not being listed, but it could also be a goal for them to work on making the mod good enough to be listed there.
The benefits seem to outweight the disadvantages by a fair bit overall.

The answer is pretty obvious. Have just one sticky who's only purpose is to link to all the existing stickies. Anyone looking for something will be able to find it straight away and you can have as many 'information/announcement/requests' type threads you can.

About the M&B related websites, I think that thread should be stickied in the Genera Discussion forum.

As for mod-specific discussions... we've got Calradia.com for that. It's not difficult. Vhaeos has made it available - use it!

dagorkan said:
The answer is pretty obvious. Have just one sticky who's only purpose is to link to all the existing stickies. Anyone looking for something will be able to find it straight away and you can have as many 'information/announcement/requests' type threads you can.

About the M&B related websites, I think that thread should be stickied in the Genera Discussion forum.

As for mod-specific discussions... we've got Calradia.com for that. It's not difficult. Vhaeos has made it available - use it!

Good points.

WE do need to leverage Calradia.com more - I have just been too busy dealing with BS lately to get around to doing something.

Hence this thread.

Thanks for the input everyone.

DE

My suggestion is this: I badly wish to have a subforum for Storymod on the Taleworlds forum, where it belongs. It would be good to have other major mods with their own subforums as well -- so that modders can manage their own threads with moderator rights, and inappropriately-posted threads on Mod Discussion relating to those mods can be moved right over to that subforum by the Mod Discussion moderators and admins. This would also benefit smaller mods by freeing up space for them on the main forum.

Myself, I don't really want the added headache of trying to manage an extra site on Calradia.com, and it wouldn't solve the problem of people posting stupid mod question straight to the forum instead of in the appropriate thread. Subforums could be nice and organised; a sticky for releases, a sticky for bug reports, a sticky for suggestions, and a forum for general talk and FAQs/walkthroughs. I think it'd be a great improvement over Mod Discussion's current chaos.

The moderators would of course decide which mods deserve a  subforum and when they reach that threshold. I don't think anyone would have a problem with that (excepting the 'rebels' railing against 'the Man' over in Mount&Blade Discussion).

Covetously,
Winter

Winter said:
My suggestion is this: I badly wish to have a subforum for Storymod on the Taleworlds forum, where it belongs. It would be good to have other major mods with their own subforums as well -- so that modders can manage their own threads with moderator rights, and inappropriately-posted threads on Mod Discussion relating to those mods can be moved right over to that subforum by the Mod Discussion moderators and admins. This would also benefit smaller mods by freeing up space for them on the main forum.

Myself, I don't really want the added headache of trying to manage an extra site on Calradia.com, and it wouldn't solve the problem of people posting stupid mod question straight to the forum instead of in the appropriate thread. Subforums could be nice and organised; a sticky for releases, a sticky for bug reports, a sticky for suggestions, and a forum for general talk and FAQs/walkthroughs. I think it'd be a great improvement over Mod Discussion's current chaos.

The moderators would of course decide which mods deserve a  subforum and when they reach that threshold. I don't think anyone would have a problem with that (excepting the 'rebels' railing against 'the Man' over in Mount&Blade Discussion).

Covetously,
Winter

Been considering something like that myself - with the ability to delegate a "moderator" for a sub-forum, it would provide much more control (by the mod owner) over the activities and content of the sub-forum. 

A worthy idea - I need to think about it some more and make sure there are no major downsides to doing that.

DE

The sub-forum thing is definitely a good idea. But like Hussey queried, how would you decide who gets one? Not giving a modder his own sub-forum could be taken by some as insulting ("is my mod not good enough?!") and giving out sub-forums could be construed as favouritism to certain members. Just something to consider.

As for my thoughts:

I don't think the Props/Armour/Weapons request needs to be stickied, personally. It's just another modding thread, just like every other thread and keeping stickied doesn't do much, since it usually gets frequent replies anyway. I feel the same about the art collaboration thread - they're basically the same thing. Likewise with the 'scene requests.'  Maybe unsticky them and list them all in a single 'Requests' thread.

The various FAQs could also all be links in one general 'FAQ' thread, or otherwise could be linked in the 'Welcome/Guidelines' thread.

With the Mod List sticky, that would make four total sticky threads, instead of nine.
Edit: In retrospect, it could further be taken down to three stickies by listing all the 'Request' threads (since there's only a couple) in the main Welcome/Guidelines thread.

Concerning the Welcome/Guidelines thread: The top guideline I'd like to see is that people should not start threads to say "Hey, Final Fantasy 7 would make a great mod, somebody should make it!" Basically, unless you have started work or are recruiting and plan to actually make the mod - you shouldn't start a thread about making a mod. Maybe that's too harsh? But really, the few threads like I mentioned are pretty irritating.

I'd also like to see a guideline that, so long as we don't have sub-forums, all discussion concerning a particular mod should be kept in that Mod's thread so as not to push other stuff off the front page. I know people complain that threads are too long, but it is NOT hard to note what page a thread was on when you posted, so that you can go back to that page to check for responses to your question.

And maybe just a guideline that before taking anything from someone else, you should ask permission from the designer and the person whose mod it was made for. Obviously that's common sense, but I imagine there are people out there that wouldn't bother, or wouldn't think of it.

good input - thanks Damien.

One of my first thoughts is that when a Thread for a specific mod reaches a particular critical mass - then it might become a candidate for it's own forum.  i.e. when there are enough people playing and commenting and asking questions about a mod, then it might be a good time to move it to it's own sub-forum...

Just something I was considering...

DE

Back
Top Bottom