So... preliminary assessment about NE for Warband

Users who are viewing this thread

Thegns/Thanes =/= Champion Huscarls. Thanes are the poser Nord cavalry who cannot decide whether they are infantry or cavalry, have piss-poor skills both on and off horseback, and die like flies whenever battle comes their way. On the other hands a Champion Huscarl is a pretty cool guy - eh has awesome skills, good armor, a big sword and doesn't afraid of anything.

On a completely unrelated note, the Tarkhans are now my favorite noble troops. They kill everything both in and out of sieges, if only through huge number and unmatched equipment uniformity. And 7 Power Draw.

Argeus the Paladin said:
Thegns/Thanes =/= Champion Huscarls. Thanes are the poser Nord cavalry who cannot decide whether they are infantry or cavalry, have piss-poor skills both on and off horseback, and die like flies whenever battle comes their way. On the other hands a Champion Huscarl is a pretty cool guy - eh has awesome skills, good armor, a big sword and doesn't afraid of anything.

On a completely unrelated note, the Tarkhans are now my favorite noble troops. They kill everything both in and out of sieges, if only through huge number and unmatched equipment uniformity. And 7 Power Draw.
Tarkhans = What faction?

khegit they basicly only have 2 tier and the second one is very good 2 h good armor good pd riding HA ive yet to see a downside to using them.

Notsure said:
khegit they basicly only have 2 tier and the second one is very good 2 h good armor good pd riding HA ive yet to see a downside to using them.

Too bad I really hate khergit dudes :razz: I don't like fighting them in open spaces. I feel like a farm animal in those situations XD

The only downside of tarkhans is their horse. Steppe horses are really nothing to write home about - average-good-ish speed and maneuver but poor in everything else. Half of your Tarkhans would be unhorsed within 5 minutes of any given engagement.

i hate the khegit too but somehow signed up with them now the king wont let me rebel and i have 4-5 town/castle but meh they proved usefull agaist the DK they did surprisingly well in seiges mostly due to almost every  unit having bows.They actualy do quiet well in normal combat despite their horse and even on foot they do well.

Josef_the_Pretender said:
The town tough brawling quest caught me every time - the broken bottle does insane damage when the town toughs use it, cannot be used to block, and your awesome battle skill and gears do not matter. Maybe giving the player some other tools to complete it with (throwing beer bottles, perhaps) may make it easier...

I've grown to hate the village girl eloping quest with all my heart from a roleplaying perspective.

Good points. The brawler quest comes in two parts - if you hit it before a certain level you fight unarmed brawlers, and then you progress to brawlers armed with broken bottles. It's a difficult one to get right, as controlling the arrival of the brawlers is difficult as the spawn points are in different places in each city, so sometimes they can arrive in a clump and you're dead. It's worth considering removing it or modifying it.

Village girl: yeah, I accept it is not fantastic for roleplaying. We will have to look at it for next version.

Thanks for the suggestions, we'll definitely take them on board.
Man, I LOVE the broken bottles quest, please don't remove it, don't even modify it  :mrgreen:

Notsure said:
Downside to Tarkhans = They cant put a scratch on DK's :lol: 
That's why I altered their build a little bit, I decreased their PowerStrike from 6 to 1 and gave them Military fighting picks (low Piercing dmg). That way they can make the DK's itch a little bit in some places, maybe.

Argeus the Paladin said:
ChapterMaster said:
I'm currenty aiming to make alot of Champion Huscarls. Im also a vassal of King Ragnar and love the Major Thane :grin:

Just jumping in to add: The Thegn troop line is the worst of all noble troops.

/personal opinion.
WHAT? Thanes are awesome, meat shields. No, seriously, they are strong, I lovem in big numbers.

7 IF, PS and PT is nothing much to write home about for noble troops, given that (i) they don't have that good equipment (ii) they aren't uniform in the least bit, and (iii) they like to die before everyone else. They are utterly inferior to the Nordic peasant troop line AND all other noble troops.

On the other hand, Swadian cavaliers. Now that's what a top-tier noble troop should be like - clad in respective factional plate armor or equivalent AND has 10 in all damage dealing and taking skills.

Or Tarkhans. Because the horde.

I'd say that the Thanes are good equipped considering their wages, most of them wielding the dwarf or heavy axe (62 c dmg).
But if you are not satisfied, you can always edit their equipment by an item editor.

I'm pretty much set for playing the game as the modders intend it to be play, so no item/troop editor there.

Not a big fan of the double axe myself - the thing is painfully slow on horseback. Which is also the reason I prefer the Long Sword or the Jian over the Jeweled Sword.

Other thing you could do is, put all the Thane units (minor, Thane and major) in one extra group naming it Thanes, and at the beginning of your battle select them and order to dismount, they all will be on foot. Not a problem.

Argeus the Paladin said:

ur wrong about thanes. Major Thanes are great on offence they have decent armour too. the only problem is they have no lances? Nords are great overall.

Carnivorious said:
Hmm Nord Cavelery isn't made to be really 'powerful'. So i'll disagree with you.
i think ur not getting my meaning. I meant that they can hold their own .of course when u pit Swadian cavalry against Nords cavalry Nords will lose =.=

So long as you remember that the core Nord strength is infantry, you can play to that strength. NE takes the core strengths of each faction and trys to build them out, to make them a little more rounded but still the same faction at heart.

Very true, which I imagine is why if a Thane loses his horse he doesn't just flail about helplessly like some factions. He picks up his big ax and often makes just as good of an infantry man has he did cavalry.

Incarnal said:
Very true, which I imagine is why if a Thane loses his horse he doesn't just flail about helplessly like some factions. He picks up his big ax and often makes just as good of an infantry man has he did cavalry.
That's the awesome thing about nord cavalry. They're just infantry using faster transportation :grin:

Back
Top Bottom