Siege force thread

Users who are viewing this thread

rageshrub

Knight at Arms
Time to tell us what you use for besieging towns/castles.

At the minute I'm using about a hundred Swadian infantry/seargants, though in the past I have enjoyed the company of a similar amount of Vaegir marksmen for the sheer pwnage of that many archers at once.

As many merc swordsman and hired blades as i can get. Maybe some huscarls or captured heavy infantry. ive never really used archers, i always figured the AI would always hit the wall.

Swadian sergeants & rescued nords are main infantry.
Vaegir marksmen from deep enemy territory are the ranged part. I got a secret friendly village there which lets me recruit 'em.
Of course when I rescue folks I hire them, so I got quite mixed party.

Tactics depends on the castle. With original ladder & finish I don't really use tactics, but with those large khergit castles where you actually fight inside (which is quite awesome), I use follow command and we advance through castle yard & walls in big group.
Usually those castles have arrowtraps somewhere, so I may put my infantry behind corner and let my ranged troops be in action for a minute or two.

After that I just repeat the big mass assault.

For some odd reason, a lot of Khergit Veteran Horse Archers- wo may be followed by a few Nord warriors/huscarls. I couldn't really be bothered to build a separate force for seiges. the veteran horse archers aren't too bad at knocking heads off the battlements with their arrows.

AI troops are useless in my sieges.

I wait for any lords to exit a castle, then I'll solo it with my bow.

Havent tried cities, since with my battlesizer all of them will just sally out. ALL of them. Should try with 100 huscarls against the 500 defenders, face a corner... But since the room for sally-out fights are so small, enemies spawn outside the fence and cant be reached.

I typically bring in 10-15 Nord Huscarls along with about the same number of Veterans and Warriors. Huscarls and Veterans outclass most other troop types in fair combat and can usually take down several foes before being defeated. They also frequently spawn with ranged weapons and will frequently change between the two throughout the siege. I actually have to spend more time worrying about my own survival than that of my army (probably because they have higher Agility and Athletics while still using comparable weapons and armour). The experience points gained from a successful siege is simply staggering, so building up a Huscarl army is actually quite an achievable goal as long as you can actually afford to pay them.

Obviously, I have myself and Jeremus upgraded to at least a 5 (+1) in Surgery to ensure a good survival rate. Combined with about 5 points in Wound Treatment the handful of downed Huscarls recover from mortal wounds within a few hours.

100 rhodock sharpshooters + companions.
I let them fire until I think we will have chance to break trough or until they are out of bolts, then we charge. We either manage to break trough or we get slaughtered. Then I do the same thing again when reinforcement arrive. I always try to take the castle on the first attack.

First I go in with a full party of low tier archers and let them  thin the enemy out. On most castles they get about a 2:3 kill:death. I sometimes need to bring a second or third wave of them. After the enemy only has 60 or less left in the castle, I bring high tier melee troops, usually Nords.

I generally take 10-20 vaegir marksmen, a similar amount of nord huscarls, and send in a bunch of mercenaries in the top tiers as cannon fodder since they're such low value for money. Also, I have a bunch of rhodok and swadian sharpshooters as better cannon fodder and garrison troops, and I can get shedloads of them easily.
I do, however, have a bunch of forest bandits as recued prisoners from prior sieges. They're sod all use on the field, so I'm thinking of sending them in early to get whacked.

Rhodok Sharpshooters play a vital role in taking out enemy archers - after enough archers are dead, I send in my infantry - usually consisting of Rhodok Sergeants, Hired Blades, and Nords.

Mkilbride said:
I take 65 Nord Huscarls with me. I usually have 3 knocked out, and 1-2 dead,even in a castle of 200+

IT's really easy with them.

True, but they're not very easy to train up - it takes forever.

But at the rate they die, and the training rate, it's almost like no loss at all. They are the most pwnage of people on Foot. They easily rape Cavalry too. :razz:

They have a longbow, a axe, and a sword, they pwn. :razz:

Wercheg has a garrison of just under 1000, and all the Nordic Lords chilling inside. Any bright ideas as to how I can beat them, or is the only option to grind away?

Just save... Then attack these Nordic bastards  :twisted:

You should really try it, Since its fairly easy when you have got an highly trained force.

Back
Top Bottom