Siege assaults...

Users who are viewing this thread

AngryPanCake

Sergeant
I noticed some strange things during my last couple sieges.

The first one took a very long time to finish. My troops killed/disabled all of the defenders then just stood there. I thought it weird that they did not start cheering, just standing there. So I hit tab and saw there was only 1 defender left, but no one was going after him! usually when the defenders break, the remaining ones run into the keep for the second phase of the siege. But this time, nothing happened. I surmised that one of the defenders got "stuck" somewhere due to some pathfinding issues. So, the siege could not go on. I waited about 10-15 min and still nothing, then when I saw my troops just standing there, I decided to give them the order to attack. They started moving again and I guess they found the slacker and cut him down and the siege moved to the next step.

The following siege, I though I would be more proactive and ordered one of my formations to attack before the walls were taken. That formation ran to the wall and because there was no way to get into the castle, just stood there! actually, one funny thing that happened was I had some looters among my troops, they got to the bottom of the wall and started throwing rocks at the defenders!
Needless to say that the formation was cut down by enemy archers and the siege went really bad. I had to reload the save and this time, I did not order troops to attack until the walls were breached.

random enemy stuck in walls is very annoying. especially since if you reload the battle to fight him all the guys that fled will come back and all the experience you got during the battle for your troops are gone. which is why it's useful to have cheat menu enabled. i dont use it normally, but for a guy stuck in a wall like that. i just knock him out using cheat and go on with my life.

don't quite get what you meant by ordering your men to attack before the walls were taken. did you f1 f3 with them ? weren't there ladders or siege towers for them to climb?

don't quite get what you meant by ordering your men to attack before the walls were taken. did you f1 f3 with them ? weren't there ladders or siege towers for them to climb?
In that instance, the siege tower, the ram and ladders were not at the wall yet and my troops did not set foot on the walls.
I thought it would make the assault go faster if I selected a formation and ordered it to "charge". That formation ran to a section of the walls where there were no ladders and just stood at the foot of that wall milling around!

As far as "last man standing", one of my sieges I had to run around the whole castle to find that single enemy still alive! He had fallen from the wall onto a flat roofed house and was standing there and my troops on top of the wall yelling at him and trying to stab him without reaching him. I jumped onto the roof and dispatched him!

I noticed some strange things during my last couple sieges.

The first one took a very long time to finish. My troops killed/disabled all of the defenders then just stood there. I thought it weird that they did not start cheering, just standing there. So I hit tab and saw there was only 1 defender left, but no one was going after him! usually when the defenders break, the remaining ones run into the keep for the second phase of the siege. But this time, nothing happened. I surmised that one of the defenders got "stuck" somewhere due to some pathfinding issues. So, the siege could not go on. I waited about 10-15 min and still nothing, then when I saw my troops just standing there, I decided to give them the order to attack. They started moving again and I guess they found the slacker and cut him down and the siege moved to the next step.

The following siege, I though I would be more proactive and ordered one of my formations to attack before the walls were taken. That formation ran to the wall and because there was no way to get into the castle, just stood there! actually, one funny thing that happened was I had some looters among my troops, they got to the bottom of the wall and started throwing rocks at the defenders!
Needless to say that the formation was cut down by enemy archers and the siege went really bad. I had to reload the save and this time, I did not order troops to attack until the walls were breached.
The new Order-of-Battle causes troops to spawn in or get stuck in bad places (literally sometimes in walls).

Just retreat and auto-resolve when this happens.

Hmm never seen the pathfinding issue you mentioned. Gotta be one of the new maps, were the ladders missing? That said the A.I. is still quite prone to standing around ladders/siege towers and letting themselves get murdered.

Back
Top Bottom