Should shield bash be in the game?

Should shield bash be removed?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Users who are viewing this thread

1v1 1h & shield fights feel so hit/block/hit/block (compared to Warband) that it's nice to break up the rhythm. Perhaps other combat tweaks could alleviate this.

Shieldbash is one of those mechanics that either is garbage or broken. Right now it's the latter. It is too fast and can be spammed immediately after being hit, meaning any aggressor can't put on significant pressure as they need to be ready not only for a fast counter attack (already too strong due to the attack reset being too long), but an even faster shield bash. Not to mention how it makes you essentially defenceless in a 1v2. This was discussed and pointed out years ago.

BTW reason 1v2 is unwinnable is also because of attack reset being too slow, you can't attack one person (who blocks) then quickly switch to the other person, because your attack is now stuck in a long reset. The friendly player capsules don't help also, the duo in a 2v1 can just almost phase through each other in order to repeatedly attack with little concern for positioning.

I think there is a distinction between attack reset from an attack and the reset from a block. From a block, the reset is too slow and from an attack it is too fast. This is the most pressing issue with 1vX being unwinnable, even more-so than the less precise movement making out-maneuvering opponents extremely difficult without kiting and the huge swing arcs making precise return-attacks as the 1 against X extremely hard. Right now, when you attack and are blocked you can immediately enter into another attack with almost no delay, meaning that 2 people attacking 1 can spam attacks ad infinitum with no way to interrupt them.

In Warband, if as the 1 you double-blocked then you would have the initiative, because the attack reset from an attack into another attack was slow enough that the 2 attackers would not be able to spam attacks forever. This is provided that the 1 manages to force the two incoming attacks to connect at a relatively similar time (though it did not have to be precise) and is quick with their return attack.

In Bannerlord, if you double-block two incoming attacks, even at the same time, you cannot reclaim the initiative because the reset from a block into an attack is too slow, while the attackers enjoy an almost instant reset into their next attack.

Perhaps reset is the wrong word; it's more like there is a delay between going from a block to an attack but no delay doing one attack after another, particularly an attack from the same direction. This means that even with perfect 1vX blocking there is almost no way to reclaim the initiative, or any interludes in which to return attacks. This combined with the imprecise swing arcs and movement makes a 1v2 as a good player against much weaker players almost unwinnable, provided they know the basic mechanics, without horrendous and disdainful kiting, which in itself is only viable until the opposing players catch up.

TW wants people to play with shields and swords, and like bots if possible. Maneuvering around, fake hits from sides becomes less effective, and they buffed 1hs, shields alot. Almost makes me feel like they want us to play like singleplayer NPCs, hit, block, hit, block, hit, block

I get the argument. Shield bashing is pretty dope though. A good compromise would be to have shield bashing cost Durability of the shield, so you can actually splinter your shield if you abuse the bash. TW will not do this as it would require approximately 3 lines of code.

You really can't if you don't have a shield.
The moment your attack gets blocked one of the 2 can go for a shieldbash and you're pretty much done for.

The main problem I have with it, is that it makes 2v1's near impossible due to the stun given by shieldbash. And the fact only the '2' can utilize this move making it incredibly unbalanced.
This 2v1 clutch would literally be impossible because he would just be shieldbashed.

edit; 2v1's are already hard enough as is, but with shieldbash made near impossible.

Damnit, that video gave me so much nostalgia. Warband had some very epic moments here and there. I remember holding against 4 players with a shield until my team came up to the rescue, I remember being able to hold against 2/3 players with skill alone. It's weird because I was able to do this last year in Bannerlord, and now I always get hit no matter what I try to do. I don't know if Shield Bash is really the only reason behind it. Definetly turn cap and movement speed has been damaged to make this impossible. It feels like artificial difficulty rather than skill vs skill

I'm
I think there is a distinction between attack reset from an attack and the reset from a block. From a block, the reset is too slow and from an attack it is too fast. This is the most pressing issue with 1vX being unwinnable, even more-so than the less precise movement making out-maneuvering opponents extremely difficult without kiting and the huge swing arcs making precise return-attacks as the 1 against X extremely hard. Right now, when you attack and are blocked you can immediately enter into another attack with almost no delay, meaning that 2 people attacking 1 can spam attacks ad infinitum with no way to interrupt them.

In Warband, if as the 1 you double-blocked then you would have the initiative, because the attack reset from an attack into another attack was slow enough that the 2 attackers would not be able to spam attacks forever. This is provided that the 1 manages to force the two incoming attacks to connect at a relatively similar time (though it did not have to be precise) and is quick with their return attack.

In Bannerlord, if you double-block two incoming attacks, even at the same time, you cannot reclaim the initiative because the reset from a block into an attack is too slow, while the attackers enjoy an almost instant reset into their next attack.

Perhaps reset is the wrong word; it's more like there is a delay between going from a block to an attack but no delay doing one attack after another, particularly an attack from the same direction. This means that even with perfect 1vX blocking there is almost no way to reclaim the initiative, or any interludes in which to return attacks. This combined with the imprecise swing arcs and movement makes a 1v2 as a good player against much weaker players almost unwinnable, provided they know the basic mechanics, without horrendous and disdainful kiting, which in itself is only viable until the opposing players catch up.
I hope the devs read you and ask you questions, and pay attention to what works from the players word, specially you Gibby. I wished the devs went to warband here and there and had genuinely paid attention to what worked in it, and what should be translated into Bannerlord, to pay attention to the clips. There must be an big amount of skilled players to speak to.

Back
Top Bottom