Should random war declarations and suicide factions fix get more priority?

Users who are viewing this thread

I recently started a new playthrough on e.1.3.0 and while I'm quite happy with the general state of the game couple hours in one thing just ruins it for me.
It is the issue of factions being immensely stupid declaring wars. This is something I've seen since the EA launch:
- Faction gets their ass kicked fighting on five fronts at the same time, signs peace treaty just to declare war on everyone again.
We are quite a few patches in that addressed the snowballing issue but nothing in direction of reducing these silly wars.
Unless something went really wrong designing the system I don't see a reason why implementing a truce timer or a cap for a number of wars fought simultaneously by a faction not be an easy fix to address this issue.
There are quite a few treads in the support section of forum reporting this as an issue and they all seem to be ignored left as "Unsolved" for weeks.
Wonder what you guys think about this issue? Is it as big of a deal as I think or am I just being picky? Should this be more of a priority compared to other issues the game is facing at this stage?

Its really annoying, especially when trying to run an own kingdom(which I dont do anymore for now), because its one of the factors that lead to constantly having war with other factions I think. I can understand that there might be other priorities, but fixing this would make the late game much more enjoyable, even when not having a kingdom.

IMHO it needs to be resolved. There focus on balancing and troops trees is great and all. But they should be looking at resolving some fundamental issues. Including random war declarations and suicidal tendencies of the AI. I would assume they have one person working on it. That’s great, keep it up.

I just hope they are not relying on modders to fix their broken game.

I recently started a new playthrough on e.1.3.0 and while I'm quite happy with the general state of the game couple hours in one thing just ruins it for me.
It is the issue of factions being immensely stupid declaring wars. This is something I've seen since the EA launch:
- Faction gets their ass kicked fighting on five fronts at the same time, signs peace treaty just to declare war on everyone again.
We are quite a few patches in that addressed the snowballing issue but nothing in direction of reducing these silly wars.
Unless something went really wrong designing the system I don't see a reason why implementing a truce timer or a cap for a number of wars fought simultaneously by a faction not be an easy fix to address this issue.
There are quite a few treads in the support section of forum reporting this as an issue and they all seem to be ignored left as "Unsolved" for weeks.
Wonder what you guys think about this issue? Is it as big of a deal as I think or am I just being picky? Should this be more of a priority compared to other issues the game is facing at this stage?
I would assume that it would be a simple fix that a faction would be able to evaluate current wars and faction power before declaring new wars... But maybe it's more complicated than that, idk.

But yes...
giphy.gif

Yes, it should be very easy to implement some basic rules to stop the more stupid war declarations. Even if they plan to add in a more complex diplomacy system later, some basic rules now would be great.

its even more so in 1.3 patch. AI seems to have the tendency to declare war on factions that are already fighting on multiple fronts. In my recent save, west empire declared war on battania and valandian, then aseri and stugian joined.

Also, picking enemy seems to be broken too. AI lords sometimes declare war on faction soooo far from their heartland. What you'd expect is that, they gather an army, took a exclave settlement far from their base, that settlement gets attacked later, gather another army travle across the world to defend, in the process an neighboring faction declare war on them, and took settlements easily when no one is there to defend.

That makes sense. It's opportunistic.

That would make sense if faction declaring the war had the manpower to seize such an opportunity. What it ends up being is just getting knocked around on another front.

I would assume that it would be a simple fix that a faction would be able to evaluate current wars and faction power before declaring new wars... But maybe it's more complicated than that, idk.

But yes...
giphy.gif

I believe there is actually a system in place that we don't currently see of border incidents similar to Warband. Methods such as "PoliticalStagnationAndBorderIncidentCampaignBehavior " called on an interval . But it's definitely not working as intended just yet.
I wish since we are having a semi-stable and playable beta branch devs focused on this aspect of the game.

Not dreaming of a full diplomatic system right now but at least one that is not creating these silly political situations.

Last edited:
Pretty sure there isn't any logic. To me it feels just like Warband... at a random gametick the game just goes "Alright, time to shuffle things around" and randomly decides that A declares war on B, and C makes peace with D. It just doesn't all happen on the same tick like in Warband, as everytime there was a change in diplomatic stances, two or three fullscreen messages came back to back.

It is probably just a placeholder system until proper diplomacy gets implemented. This is why reloading a game can avoid a war or peace declaration. If there was some unseen logic, we would see almost inevitable war declarations no matter how often you reload.

This is how I'm keeping my Sturgia run alive. It's day 200 and Sturgia is getting steamrolled. They've just declared a fourth war while losing Revyl to Battania, Omor to the Northern Empire and Tyal to the Khuzait. Apparently a war with Vlandia was just the thing we needed... I wasn't going to let all my invested time go to waste and just reloaded to avoid that war.

Back
Top Bottom