Shakespeare Merchant of Venice riddle

Users who are viewing this thread

How is this even a question? What the hell would you take something else when what you desire is freely available? By definition it would be absolutely stupid to choose one of the others.

I want to know which poor ****er dragged all these caskets out here in the first place. I mean gold and lead aren't exactly known to be lightweight materials. Furthermore, given even cathedrals have problems with people nicking the lead from the roof, how the hell has this guy not been mugged yet? Barring of course the fact you'd need a sizeable group of people to shift the wares.

Personally I'd just twat the **** in the face. Whenever these random arseholes come up to you in the street it's a pretty surefire thing he's either trying to flog you something or get you to sign up to some charity or other. Deck them as soon as they open your mouth and they learn to avoid you. It's Darwinian or something.

Kind of grim, when they're caskets. That's part of your problem right there. A solid gold casket? Given the average dimensions of a casket, that's a ****-load of gold. What if what I desired was a fourth casket, made entirely of tritium? **** your gold, silver, and lead. Tritium sells for $30,000 per gram.

This was always one of the ****tier plays he wrote, and this silly riddle was a big reason why.

Except for the part where they tell Shylock that he has to cut the exact amount of flesh and spill no blood. Got ****ed by logic, good stuff.

images
                +               
images

Yea. That's it. Yea.

Why would you desire another coffin? Just desire something that's valuable and easy easy to carry. Hell, just desire a check or money transfer. Desiring a tritium coffin makes far less sense.

Doubt they even knew what it was in his time. Probably get you burned as a witch or necromancer.

I'm not interested in Shakespeare's plays so much but had a chance to read Macbeth, and, considering both plays, I can say such supernatural events, or how should I say, such opportunities that you can earn a lot without sacrifice in return seems to be some kind of trap that aim to blind you and lead you into a downfall.

Thinking solely upon gold, silver and lead; in case of gold casket, what you desire is not sure to be a treasure. Having the %33 chance of winning a treasure might disturb your mind and make you think that all you desire is a treasure but, well, this feels like the main trickery of the gold casket to me. You might find the most delicious cake in it as well :smile:

In silver's case, what you earn is yours anyway. Doubling what you earn does not surely equal a fortune.

Maybe weird but, best case seems to be the lead casket. It feels like the one with the least trickery in it. You give some, you get a chance.

That's why I would choose the lead casket, as in such uncanny situations, the easiest way always includes traps and such. I would pick the toughest way to begin with.

P.S. My English tend to fail me in such situations so excuse me if I used wrong words :wink:

Finnbhennach said:
I'm not interested in Shakespeare's plays so much but had a chance to read Macbeth, and I can say such supernatural events, or how should I say, such opportunities that you can earn a lot without sacrifice in return seems to be some kind of trap that aim to blind you and lead you into a downfall.

Thinking solely upon gold, silver and lead; in case of gold casket, what you desire is not sure to be a treasure. Having the %33 chance of winning a treasure might disturb your mind and make you think that all you desire is a treasure but, well, this feels like the main trickery of the gold casket to me. You might find the most delicious cake in it as well :smile:

In silver's case, what you earn is yours anyway. Doubling what you earn does not surely equal a fortune.

Maybe weird but, best case seems to be the lead casket. It feels like the one with the least trickery in it. You give some, you get a chance.

That's why I would choose the lead casket, as in such uncanny situations, the easiest way always includes traps and such. I would pick the toughest way to begin with.
Thank you so much! I was looking for answers like these. You helped me a lot!

Choosing the lead casket is just plain wanky. If the gold one gives you what you desire, then it should have moolah in it. If it doesn't, stab the ****er. The silver casket is quite probably empty, and the lead casket is just the mystery box from Family Guy.

You could've googled the explanation, like here.
However, thinking about it is way better.
What possessed Portia's father to make such a riddle and what sort of husband he wanted to find for his daughter?
Why is this important? So you'll know how to behave around gfs' fathers. :smile:

Should I ever have a daughter, and should his suitor when asked that answer anything but the gold one, I'd stab the ****er.

Back
Top Bottom